Which FF has the best music?

#71NeithOFPosted 4/6/2014 4:38:31 PM
Don't wanna go offtopic here but since there are some guys here that seem knowledgeable here goes.

Whats your opinion on Yoko Shimomura?
Not only for her work on Kingdom hearts of course.
#72zane0144Posted 4/6/2014 6:10:28 PM
Only familiar with her work from KH, but I love it. Some amazing masterpieces have come from her.
---
3DS FC: 1590-5189-0827; IGN Zane
Official Bug-Type Gym leader of the MGM GFAQS Pokeleague
#73BlazingRainPosted 4/6/2014 8:21:08 PM
NeithOF posted...
Whats your opinion on Yoko Shimomura?
Not only for her work on Kingdom hearts of course.

She's good. Not as good as Hamauzu, probably on the same level as Sakimoto pre-FF XII. She has a tendency to get really safe and rehash musical ideas though.
---
La Illaha Illa Allah, Muhammad Rasul Allah
#74ExdeathVoidLordPosted 4/6/2014 8:21:31 PM
I'm not sure which one I'd say has the best tracks, but I think V has the best overall soundtrack.
---
The Official Exdeath of the Internet.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#75Elice_CarolPosted 4/7/2014 1:56:05 AM
ExdeathVoidLord posted...
I'm not sure which one I'd say has the best tracks, but I think V has the best overall soundtrack.

I haven't seen you since the Dissidia boards, Void.

Anyways, VIII or X take the cake for me. The other games are very atmospheric, but these two are more emotionally resounding.
---
"I don't have a heart. I sold it for beer.'' - ValcristPL(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2QUhaKN2Q
#76XenilPosted 4/7/2014 3:24:13 AM
zane0144 posted...
Xenil posted...
lol in the only game in which he collaborated with Uematsu, Hamauzu's own compositions were better than his arrangements for Uematsu.

Nope. Spira Unplugged and A Feeting Dream outperform all of Hamauzu’s original compositions in FFX. Without Uematsu the main themes, the best parts of the FFX OST, would be non-existent. Besides, Nakano’s original pieces were better than Hamauzu’s.

Haha, yeah, “recapitulation” don’t you mean copy and paste? But thanks for the list, let’s add some more to Hamauzu’s “repeating the same crap over and over” list: Defiers of Fate (Ctrl + V Blinded by Light), Start Your Engines (Ctrl + Ediolons), In the Sky that Night (Ctrl + V The Promise), Fabula Nova Crystallis (Ctrl + V The Promise), Those for the Purge (Ctrl + V Prelude), Eden Under Siege (Ctrl + V Ediolons), a look we’ve almost made a disc.

This is ignoring a lot of the songs that are different but are so similar in both instrumentation , structure and performance that they may as well be the same song like Lake Bresha, March of Dreadnaughts, Fangs Theme etc.

Well that's hypocritical. You do realize how many times FFX repeats versions of Suteki Da Ne, At Zanarkand, and Song of the Fayth?(song of the fayth was the least annoying but I still feel the need to list it) At least FFXIII repeats a whole lot of songs and not just the same 3 over and over again.

Not only that. But there are a lot of other great tracks you'd hear if you listen to the soundtrack. It has jazzy music, religious choruses, the melancholy themes, the rock. The soundtrack isn't afraid to mix it up while still keeping an overall sound to the game. It was a blast to listen to.

With FFX I swear there was a whole hour where I was just listening to some Bleep-Bloop background themes. I don't think that's FFX's fault though. What I think happened, is that the music was made with the background noise in thought. Like with the thunder plains. But outside of the area, the music is really plain and repetitive.

Not hypocritical, my initial comment was abut XIII's arrangements not being subtle and they're not. When it's not a direct copy paste with no changes (Ediolons, Prelude and some Blinded by Light) it's arranged with the exact same instruments with a change in tempo (sometimes not even that); Hamauzu overuses violin and piano as a prop for most of XIII's main themes and to be honest he overuses violin and piano period. Contrast that with FFX that had the benefit of 3 composers and a variety of takes on the main themes; Spira Unplugged, Yuna's Theme, Sprouting, Zanarkand etc etc. all use different soundscapes and are woven together much better than anything from XIII's main themes.

You're right XIII does have some brilliant tracks and some variety too. But unfortunately that comprises only about 1/4 of the soundtrack, it's the other 3/4's that makes for a very mediocre and repetitive OST.
#77zane0144Posted 4/7/2014 3:48:50 AM
^You and I must have listened to different OST's (if you even listened to the OST's) because you got it backwards
---
3DS FC: 1590-5189-0827; IGN Zane
Official Bug-Type Gym leader of the MGM GFAQS Pokeleague
#78XenilPosted 4/7/2014 4:08:03 AM
Well it's obvious you have nothing to add because you accuse me of not listening to the soundtracks (despite providing examples lol), maybe you should listen to them again yourself.
#79maxxxximumPosted 4/7/2014 8:39:19 AM
Oh look. The game with the best OST was omitted from the poll again.
---
Stop your ignorance of Final Fantasy XI's awesome story. See it here.
http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/
#80itis41269Posted 4/7/2014 8:57:28 AM
X

VII is a close second ......that Turk song makes me feel funny inside
---
Nintendo puts the F between the Wii and the U......
PSN:whatitis4u/friend code:0834-1025-1958/GT:XwhatitisX