If people consider KH an "Action RPG" then shouldn't FFXV be as well?

#41IGGI3Posted 4/6/2014 7:56:06 PM
It is an ARPG. People label it JRPG because the style originates from Japan. I don't like using that term however.
---
Steam ID: rainelee
"Why is it that pride and foolishness are often so close companions?"
#42CorreyPosted 4/6/2014 8:26:55 PM
It's an Action JRPG.
---
RPGs are not the same anymore. :(
First rule of Cory in the House, you don't talk about Cory in the House.
#43CranberryTacoPosted 4/7/2014 3:45:44 AM
SoraisRiku posted...

Though I believe WRPG and JRPG are stupid terms.

---
I'm Chuck Bass. 88' / Musician / Mobile / Warping, flying swords, crystals and all that.
#44IcyFlamez96Posted 4/7/2014 4:04:46 AM
JRPG and WRPG refer to region and region only. The reason the distinction is so widely used is because of the distinct styles that typically differentiate RPGs that are made in Japan from RPGs that are made in America. That doesn't mean a JRPG or a WRPG is forced to stick to there pre-determined stereotypes, it's just that they normally do, so it makes the term useful in most cases.

Same thing with anime and cartoons. Anime is just cartoons made in japan, and cartoons are made in the west. They clearly have their own distinct styles that they normally fall into, but that doesn't mean they have to fall into it. Just look at the Avatar series. People try to call that an anime all the time because of it's style, but the simple fact is that an anime is made in Japan. Same thing here, just because FFXV seems to look a lot more like a WRPG than most JRPGs doesn't make it not a JRPG. JRPG literally stands for Japanese Role Playing Game and nothing more.
---
Playstation All Star's method of balancing is making each character broken in their own way.
#45AngryGFAQerPosted 4/7/2014 4:47:02 AM
RedwingedMinx posted...
Jrpg just refers to where the game originates from.

TIL that the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls series are JRPGs.
---
"I was garbage, the writing transformed," - Raiden
I'm Batman. I don't enjoy anything.
#46HustleBonesPosted 4/7/2014 6:03:23 AM
JRPG and WRPG don't apply to game origin, or even mechanics. It applies to the types of story telling that originated concurrently, yet separately in different areas. WRPGs are personal power fantasies with silent protagonists. JRPGs are about character interaction with the party.

With all genre definitions there is room for wild variation and exception.

What has happened recently is that Japan has developed a knack for WRPGs (Souls and Drag Dog), whereas Squeenix lead the way for the misplacement of priorities in JRPGs, thinking graphics meant better story telling.

This is why I have such high hopes for FFXV. I really want a return to form in story telling, and exploring action gameplay brings with it new opportunities.
#47PangLa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 12:48:42 PM
This is getting confusing lol. Seems like everyone has a different opinion on the matter. Is South Park: The Stick of Truth a JRPG in this case then?
#48CokaineCowboy77Posted 4/7/2014 1:07:55 PM
It's the big bad bollocks debate over whether X game qualifies under X category. Splendid.

FFXV could easily qualify under a number of headlines; JRPG; Action; Action RPG; Action adventure; Shooter - perhaps even stealth?

What's the point in arguing over it? It it not semantic?
---
"Also, do not how this isn't 'mashing X', which means your wrong" - SBK, in a nutshell, folks. In a nutshell.
#49IcyFlamez96Posted 4/7/2014 6:02:13 PM
JRPG literally means "Japanese Role Playing Game." Don't see why people even try to argue otherwise when the fact is so blatant.
---
Playstation All Star's method of balancing is making each character broken in their own way.
#50judge-salPosted 4/7/2014 6:06:37 PM
jajajajajaj posted...
judge-sal posted...
I don't think anyone refers to it as a JRPG.

Jajajajajaajaaaaajajaja WTF is this nonsense?

all i see is you being annoying??????

but forreal oops sorry in the time ive been on these boards i havent seen anyone refer to this game as a JRPG. Shoot me for simple observations, ive been awful. :'(
---
oh