Square has just plain sucked since they closed "Square Pictures"

#1Arn544Posted 6/21/2014 7:44:55 AM
Just saying.

What I miss most about the Ps1 era are the down to earth, practical cinematics.

Example: Seifer/Vivi when they used to cast fire, they didn't have some crazy over the top CGI effect, it was simply small flames coming out of their hands, very small fireballs and a couple of camera angle changes and poof.

Compare to some of the FF13/15 effects and they just have these overly abstract and weird graphical effects, like the shield Noctis has up in that video, I personally hate that crap.

I think it's a tragedy when Square Pictures created so many beautiful productions, such as the videos for 8 9 11 and the Spirits Within, Final Fantasy had a cinematic quality but instead they turned into these CGI turds. Instead of going the direction they were in 2001 they ended up basing future games on FFX and Advent Children, literally the opposite of what they should have done. (I for one think X had a great story but it was so horribly directed)

Losing Sakaguchi and men like Koichi Ishii hurt majorly, but I think the biggest lost in franchise history has to be the loss of their movie studio.

Take A Realm Reborn's opening video, made by their CGI studio, it's graphically impressive but cinematically terrible. Sure we see a fight (with eye sore of characters), we see a meteor and Louisoiux, but the only reason any of us gave a crap? We had played the game and knew about this world and character. Compare it to FFXI's opener which Square Pictures did, they introduce us to a world we've never seen before and make us feel a great feeling of loss throughout it. Not to mention the beautiful photo real designs and down to earth cinema effects.

Anyway that's just my opinion, people talk about the decline of FF all the time, I think it's a valid reason for not liking their later titles as much. Authenticity and practicality are important and square only seems to do over the top and weird these days. It's partly why people prefer the original Star Wars trilogy to the prequels.
#2Extreme_lightPosted 6/21/2014 7:50:18 AM
Arn544 posted...
It's partly why people prefer the original Star Wars trilogy to the prequels.

I wonder if those same people would consider the Clone War series to be superior...
---
Oh summer days!
"So it is and must be for all existence..."
#3FireMage7777Posted 6/21/2014 7:50:20 AM
So basically nostalgia...GOT IT!!!
---
I'm so awesome Gavirulax uses alts and forged PMs to try and troll me
Licensed troll slayer
#4Arn544(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 7:57:37 AM
FireMage7777 posted...

It's not nostalgia to say they newer FFs aren't very authethic and convincing.

Square Pictures could pull it off, their titles were well composed and well directed, and authentic. They pulled off more camera effects rather than just having a firework show.

I give them that they're visually impressive but beyond that they're hollow, they invoke no emotions, and they're not immersive or believable.
#5FireMage7777Posted 6/21/2014 8:04:58 AM
Arn544 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

Square Pictures could pull it off, their titles were well composed and well directed, and authentic. They pulled off more camera effects rather than just having a firework show.

I give them that they're visually impressive but beyond that they're hollow, they invoke no emotions, and they're not immersive or believable.

It is nostalgia when what you're saying is based off of subjectivity. Plain and simple...and clean
---
I'm so awesome Gavirulax uses alts and forged PMs to try and troll me
Licensed troll slayer
#6Extreme_lightPosted 6/21/2014 8:10:41 AM
Arn544 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

Well that is just your opinion as you said. But what exactly do you want to see in the modern FF?
---
Oh summer days!
"So it is and must be for all existence..."
#7sMpNoctisorGPosted 6/21/2014 8:14:31 AM
I actually liked the trailer of ARR, it also invoke some of my emotions -sadness and relief, it was sad because you really felt the world at war and in demise, a lot of people died, but you also felt that sense of relief because it didn't end the world they live in rather they just started in the beginning so that they can change this tragedy in the future.

Now, the part where Noctis fights some grunts outside his palace, obviously he seems like he doesn't care at all anymore and tired of all the battles that are happening again and again. You could tell that he seemed cold and lonely.

You're not paying attention to the details that are important TC cos you don't look at these games as closely as you would on the games you mentioned anymore. I may be wrong, but i guess you're just choosing to look at the bad things now rather than the goods as you do in Final Fantasies before.
---
FFXV, KH3, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and MGSV. Dota 2.<3
#8ChipNoirPosted 6/21/2014 8:21:34 AM
TC's post is riddled with subjective opinion. And not even persuasively written in terms of argument.
---
If logic were an STD, we'd have solved quite a few problems.
#9Arn544(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 8:26:21 AM(edited)
Extreme_light posted...
Arn544 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

Well that is just your opinion as you said. But what exactly do you want to see in the modern FF?

More of the Cinema type effects like they used to do and not so much effects of a graphics engine. Maybe most people just don't see what I'm talking about, but it used to be a lot more realistic. I used the effects of how they used to cast fire, I thought that was pretty cool, not just shooting some atomic blast out of their hand, just very tiny flames knocking people over. (If you take any film classes and learn about camera angles maybe you'd see what I'm talking about)

FF15 may be set in reality but it doesn't come off as real, Noctis doesn't seem like a genuine person, the moping in the limo and nonchalant killing of the grunts are just some standard anime personality type, not a way somebody would really act.

It's the side effect of replacing an actual film studio with a CGI studio, they fail on a movie presentation level. A common complaint is about how SE is all flash and no substance, well there's a reason for that, they lost their ability to give us substance when they closed their studio down.

ChipNoir posted...
TC's post is riddled with subjective opinion. And not even persuasively written in terms of argument.

Well then don't respond.

That's what a freaking opinion is people, an opinion. If the words are coming out of my mouth it's an opinion. Not my job to list sources and links, if you don't see what i'm talking about or agree go somewhere else.
#10ChipNoirPosted 6/21/2014 8:27:49 AM
Arn544 posted...
Extreme_light posted...
Arn544 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

More of the Cinema type effects like they used to do and not so much effects of a graphics engine. Maybe most people just don't see what I'm talking about, but it used to be a lot more realistic. I used the effects of how they used to cast fire, I thought that was pretty cool, not just shooting some atomic blast out of their hand, just very tiny flames knocking people over. (If you take any film classes and learn about camera angles maybe you'd see what I'm talking about)

FF15 may be set in reality but it doesn't come off as real, Noctis doesn't seem like a genuine person, the moping in the limo and nonchalant killing of the grunts are just some standard anime personality type, not a way somebody would really act.

It's the side effect of replacing an actual film studio with a CGI studio, they fail on a movie presentation level. A common complaint is about how SE is all flash and no substance, well there's a reason for that, they lost their ability to give us substance when they closed their studio down.

...Square Pictures was only responsible for TSW, Final Flight of the Osiris. There's no evidence I can find that they were ever involved in any of the game's actual FMVs in particular.

Where are you plucking this other supposed 'contributions' they made from? Thin air?
You're playing at double-speak by padding a very large post.
---
If logic were an STD, we'd have solved quite a few problems.