Does anybody actually like linearity in their games? [Serious]

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Does anybody actually like linearity in their games? [Serious]
2 years ago#181
Open world can ruin a game, and linearity can ruin a game. It depends. Having every game be open world would suck.
"I'd like to say I'll never forget him, or what he's doin'. What he's done. I surely would." - Bastion
2 years ago#182
Some form of linearity is necessary.

If you can just go anywhere and do anything at any level, what's the motivation to improve your character?
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png
2 years ago#183
Zareth posted...
Some form of linearity is necessary.

If you can just go anywhere and do anything at any level, what's the motivation to improve your character?

I think the topic differentiates between going from points A to point B in an open plain with spots of interests speckled about versus going from point A to point B via hallway.
2 years ago#184
Yes that is exactly the point. Other Final Fantasy games were go from point A to point B with places to go in between and not a hallway simulator
2 years ago#185
Sometimes linearity is good. I tend to get overwhelmed with open worlds and I don't really like sidequests.
3Ds FC: 1547-5438-5514 Ale
Roxas from Hyrule; dreamies: Chief, Marshal, Kid Cat.
2 years ago#186
If I'm playing for the story (yes it's possible) linear makes it easier to get the story across. I've also found I get too distracted in an open world game, that tends to ruin things when I am trying to do something specific. Open world doesn't automatically make it better.

Oh, and I think people are forgetting just how linear older Final Fantasy games really were... That doesn't make the game "bad".
2 years ago#187
Nothing wrong with linearity if everything else is done right. Just look at FF10. Heck, I can't stand playing the exact same kind of game every single time and I don't know how some people can.

And yes, the world maps need to come back.
Future Billionaire
2 years ago#188
I really don't understand how anyone could not vote "depends."

Honestly, as a guy that's played both every single FF and DQ (and countless other jRPGs) AND every single TES and Bioware game (probably not something I should have done with their recent games...), I have to say that linearity can be very good if done well. It allows for a more structured story where you experience what the devs had envisioned when the made the game. It's like reading a great book or watching a classic movie. The same goes for open world stuff. It allows you to make your own fun. To live a second life almost.

Personally, I favor games that have several pre-determined routes. That way it feels like your actions and choices matter, but at the same time it's not just a mess with no structure.

The MegaTen and older Bioware games were pretty good examples of this.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it."
-Aristotle
2 years ago#189
Being overwhelmed by choice has actually stifled my progress in a lot of games.
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born
2 years ago#190
All games have some form of linearity...I only really care about a game's linearity if the game is poorly designed or, boring. FFX is far more linear than other FF titles despite all of the others being just as linear in a narrative and progression sense but FFXIII which is also extremely linear, took out the other fun aspects of the FF games and thus suffered for it.
I had a dream of my wife...She was dead but, it was OK...
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Does anybody actually like linearity in their games? [Serious]

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived