Does anybody actually like linearity in their games? [Serious]

#181GrayFox684Posted 7/14/2014 3:43:43 PM
Open world can ruin a game, and linearity can ruin a game. It depends. Having every game be open world would suck.
---
"I'd like to say I'll never forget him, or what he's doin'. What he's done. I surely would." - Bastion
#182ZarethPosted 7/14/2014 3:45:26 PM
Some form of linearity is necessary.

If you can just go anywhere and do anything at any level, what's the motivation to improve your character?
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png
#183peonusPosted 7/14/2014 3:50:00 PM
Zareth posted...
Some form of linearity is necessary.

If you can just go anywhere and do anything at any level, what's the motivation to improve your character?

I think the topic differentiates between going from points A to point B in an open plain with spots of interests speckled about versus going from point A to point B via hallway.
#184WhyitEarpPosted 7/14/2014 3:53:03 PM
Yes that is exactly the point. Other Final Fantasy games were go from point A to point B with places to go in between and not a hallway simulator
#185FalcielPosted 7/14/2014 4:00:33 PM
Sometimes linearity is good. I tend to get overwhelmed with open worlds and I don't really like sidequests.
---
3Ds FC: 1547-5438-5514 Ale
Roxas from Hyrule; dreamies: Chief, Marshal, Kid Cat.
#186CaanimalPosted 7/14/2014 4:20:34 PM(edited)
If I'm playing for the story (yes it's possible) linear makes it easier to get the story across. I've also found I get too distracted in an open world game, that tends to ruin things when I am trying to do something specific. Open world doesn't automatically make it better.

Oh, and I think people are forgetting just how linear older Final Fantasy games really were... That doesn't make the game "bad".
#187TrueGBPosted 7/14/2014 4:24:25 PM
Nothing wrong with linearity if everything else is done right. Just look at FF10. Heck, I can't stand playing the exact same kind of game every single time and I don't know how some people can.

And yes, the world maps need to come back.
---
Future Billionaire
#188meat1337Posted 7/14/2014 4:27:56 PM
I really don't understand how anyone could not vote "depends."

Honestly, as a guy that's played both every single FF and DQ (and countless other jRPGs) AND every single TES and Bioware game (probably not something I should have done with their recent games...), I have to say that linearity can be very good if done well. It allows for a more structured story where you experience what the devs had envisioned when the made the game. It's like reading a great book or watching a classic movie. The same goes for open world stuff. It allows you to make your own fun. To live a second life almost.

Personally, I favor games that have several pre-determined routes. That way it feels like your actions and choices matter, but at the same time it's not just a mess with no structure.

The MegaTen and older Bioware games were pretty good examples of this.
---
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it."
-Aristotle
#189MellowLyricistPosted 7/14/2014 5:10:34 PM
Being overwhelmed by choice has actually stifled my progress in a lot of games.
---
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born
#190EnmaDaio2588Posted 7/14/2014 5:37:19 PM
All games have some form of linearity...I only really care about a game's linearity if the game is poorly designed or, boring. FFX is far more linear than other FF titles despite all of the others being just as linear in a narrative and progression sense but FFXIII which is also extremely linear, took out the other fun aspects of the FF games and thus suffered for it.
---
I had a dream of my wife...She was dead but, it was OK...