Really overrated

#1Evil Genius 9Posted 9/8/2011 1:50:33 PM
I recently picked up Uncharted 1 & 2 used and I'm currently on Chapter 9 in the first one. I have to say that this game is not deserving of all the praise it gets. It looks good (taking into account that it's 4 years old), but the gameplay just moves between mediocre and derivative to hair-pulling frustration.

First, let's state the obvious: This is Tomb Raider with a guy. It really is not any deeper than that -- I can't find anything unique about Uncharted. Granted, I've only played a couple of the more recent Tomb Raider games because the old ones had horrible issues, but you could swap out Lara Croft with Nathan Drake and boom -- you've got Uncharted. Except that if you actually did that, Uncharted would benefit from better gameplay.

Who the f*** play-balanced this game?? The gunfights are not even remotely fair. You're constantly ambushed by at least 5 - 6 guys who rarely miss, never run out of ammo, and don't go down easily, while you're restricted to a measly 40 bullets for your pistol and about 80 for your AK. Melee combat is almost never a viable option because you're always being blasted from 10 different angles by guys in the distant brush. Every battle consists of slowly and tediously poking your head out to pick them off one by one, scrambling to pick up ammo, then being immediately ambushed by 5 more guys who start pelting you before you know what's happening. Repetitive. Nothing changes but the angles you're being shot at from. Even the grenades are pretty worthless. The designers have no clue how to make a battle challenging but fun. It's like they've never played the dozens of other 3rd person shooters that did it better. This game desperately needed something to make the combat palatable.

It's not terrible, but it's a 7/10 at best. The environments are cool and it's entertaining enough to compel me to finish, but I'm definitely not going to have any desire to play through again or devote any time to getting trophies. Hope Uncharted 2 is better -_-

---
SPORTS: Special Olympics T-Ball Stand Pitches Perfect Game...
www.theonion.com
#2eddybagelPosted 9/9/2011 8:12:55 AM
Just a heads up, if anyone else replies to you, it's probably going to be to tell you that you suck at video games.

I agree with you though, the thing I found most annoying was the fact that enemies could hit you from miles away every single time, but when you use the same guns they are wildly inefficient and spray bullets all over the place.

Having said that, the sequel was a vast enough improvement to turn the series into my favourite of the current console generation, so hopefully you'll have the same result.
---
PSN: shinobiboabi
Preface every statement I make with 'In my opinion,' because I am tired of writing it.
#3Shik_stickPosted 9/11/2011 12:45:51 AM
I'm playing back through the game now as well and finding a lot of the same issues. Which is why i hated the game when i first played it 2 years ago. I've gotten platinum in the second one before i even played through the first game and i find myself enjoying it as kind of "throwback" but it is not nearly as good as Among Thieves.

But, wait until you get to Uncharted 2. It is much better in every way. Even the gunfights, they tend to throw less enemies at you and their aim is a lot worse. The action set-pieces are much better as is the story. Just stick with it, or move on to the second one, which is very worthy of all of the praise it gets.
---
"I'm sorry, do you have a plan to go along with that grenade?"- Nathan drake
FORJ-Best Friend of Red Jenny
#4Sleepy_17Posted 9/15/2011 3:48:40 PM
Having just finished number 1 a few minutes ago for the first time I have to say I was surprised at how much of a struggle it was to get through the game. I beat Among Thieves in 2 sittings then started again straight away to platinum, this took me 5 because I could only take so much before getting too bored to continue and I have zero interest in going for the plat. The game isn't bad per say, but it certainly doesn't deserve the praise it got, which is interesting, as I think Among Thieves more or less did, it's hard to pinpoint a specific thing, but Uncharted 2 is a simply a better game, it flows better, it understands pacing and plot, it's better balanced. The whole package just comes together to make you feel like you're playing an Indy movie. Drake's fortune is more like Gears of War in the tropics.
#5Evil Genius 9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2011 5:45:36 PM(edited)
Well, I finished Drake's Fortune a few days ago.

**SOME SPOILERS**

I bumped it down to easy for the last few stages to make it more bearable. It's not even so much that it's too difficult, it's just that the game is constantly taking cheap shots at you, like the rocket guys who insta-kill you before you can even see them, and the battles drag on about twice as long as they should. I was always thinking "Ok, I was sick of this fight five minutes ago." Also, I have no idea who would ever think that god-awful jetski upriver stage is fun. It's made all the more frustrating because Drake can literally put his hands on easily accessible dry land with cover areas, but nope, we're going sit here on this jetski like dumb f***s and get shot at while battling uphill on Class V rapids.

I immediately started Among Thieves and I'm now a little more than half way through, and yeah, pretty much everything is hugely improved. Probably the biggest thing for me, besides the fact that Among Thieves is actually balanced fairly, is that the sets really drive you through the game. It's enough motivation to keep playing just to see what kind of environment they put me in next. I'm looking forward to Drake's Deception now.

---
SPORTS: Special Olympics T-Ball Stand Pitches Perfect Game...
www.theonion.com
#6Loud_NoisesPosted 9/16/2011 3:44:11 AM
I'm going to agree with everything the OP and others have said in this topic. I played UC2 first, just because I heard all the great reveiws and thought "why not?" I loved it, I couldn't put it down. Then I figured that since the third one is coming out I'd play the first one, just because it made sense and UC1 was going cheap to purchase.

Dear god. This game reminds me of the gulf in quality between AC1 and AC2. AC2 is a brilliant game. AC1 is boring and tedious. In the same way. UC2 is a fun and enjoyable game, UC1 is a boring and painfully tedious game. There is literally nothing more to the gameplay than gunfights, with the occasional climbing section thrown in (which I really wish there had been more of). This may not have been so bad except for the fact that the gunfights are terrible. I played this on Hard, and the game essentially cheats (although a lot of games do this so perhaps its harsh to aim this just at UC1). All your guns are rubbish, they have low accuracy and are fairly weak. But in the hands of the enemy they are like superweapons. They never miss and they take you down in a couple of hits.

The thing that really lets this game is the repetitive gunfights. I would say 70% of the game is gun fights, 25% climbing (which is okay) and maybe 5% puzzles (which usually involve you looking in a diary and working out which direction you need to rotate an object in. That's it). So it's pretty much all gun battles, and that's bad because it focuses the game on probably its worst aspect.The guns get slightly better later in the game, but this does nothing for the fact that most of the time you fight many waves of enemies and end up scavenging for ammo during the battles at some point. A tip here would be to always use high capacity weapons, i.e. ignore the shotgun unless there is nothing else you can pick up.

Here is a tip for anyone wanting to figure out how to complete most of the gunfights in this game. In any gunfight, immediately retreat. Retreat to a point where the enemy cannot get behind you, and then either wait for them to come to you or pick them off from a distance (since your pistol can act as a sniper in this game). Press L3 so that you switch which side your aiming from and use this to shoot around corners whilst remaining mostly hidden. There is almost always one point in a gunfight where the enemy can't surround you. The only part where I think this isn't true is in a flooded chamber on Chapter 5, which is the point where I realised this games glaring flaws.

In my opinion, you should make the effort to complete this game for the story. The gameplay is nothing groundbreaking and is frustrating for the most part. However, the characters and the story are good, and this is obviously where developers saw potential.

UC2 is a vast improvement over UC1. It's a credit to Naughty Dog, who must have taken in all the criticism from the first game and done what they could to improve all of it. I remember none of this issues in the second game. It's been a while since I played UC2, but I remember thinking that I would get UC3 no matter what. The funny thing is, if I'd played UC1 first I may not have bothered with UC2. Funny how these things happen.
#7fullyloaded2004Posted 9/16/2011 4:41:41 AM

Sorry but you guys just suck.

#8eddybagelPosted 9/18/2011 12:53:51 PM
fullyloaded2004 posted...
Sorry but you guys just suck.

Thank you for your well worded and insightful contribution.
---
PSN: shinobiboabi
Preface every statement I make with 'In my opinion,' because I am tired of writing it.
#9Shik_stickPosted 9/18/2011 7:11:48 PM
Evil Genius 9 posted...
Well, I finished Drake's Fortune a few days ago.

**SOME SPOILERS**

I bumped it down to easy for the last few stages to make it more bearable. It's not even so much that it's too difficult, it's just that the game is constantly taking cheap shots at you, like the rocket guys who insta-kill you before you can even see them, and the battles drag on about twice as long as they should. I was always thinking "Ok, I was sick of this fight five minutes ago." Also, I have no idea who would ever think that god-awful jetski upriver stage is fun. It's made all the more frustrating because Drake can literally put his hands on easily accessible dry land with cover areas, but nope, we're going sit here on this jetski like dumb f***s and get shot at while battling uphill on Class V rapids.

I immediately started Among Thieves and I'm now a little more than half way through, and yeah, pretty much everything is hugely improved. Probably the biggest thing for me, besides the fact that Among Thieves is actually balanced fairly, is that the sets really drive you through the game. It's enough motivation to keep playing just to see what kind of environment they put me in next. I'm looking forward to Drake's Deception now.

lol told ya so TC. Glad you're enjoying it.
---
"I'm sorry, do you have a plan to go along with that grenade?"- Nathan drake
FORJ-Best Friend of Red Jenny
#10MajesticFerretPosted 9/23/2011 4:33:42 PM
I actually 100% agree with TC.

UC1 was mediocre to me. Perhaps it because I played UC2 first, but even ignoring UC2, I still found Gears 1 a lot better than UC1 and Gears 1 was older. It definately wouldn't have been a hot pick for me in 2007 for GotY.

However, UC2 completely blows UC1 out of the water. The difference in quality is staggering. Its pacing, story telling, gameplay differentiation, controls, balancing, all much better.

UC2 is still my favorite 3rd person multiplayer game and despite being 2 yrs old, is probably still one of the best looking PS3 games and some would even argue still the best.

Also, Adam Sessler actually called it the best SP experience ever made. I definatley don't agree with this, but as far as shooters go? I can't think of a SP better.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.