Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn team draft league

#1HMS_mikestrikePosted 3/18/2012 3:38:16 PM
Sticking with my tradition of stealing someone else's idea, and building on it, I propose a league, not unlike the NFL. There are 73 playable characters in this game. 74 if we throw in that cripple, Largo. So we make 7 teams, and take turns drafting units until we use up all of the units. Then we will all have at least 10 units each, with 4 of us having 11 units. We can trade units freely amongst each other, but always end with at least 10 units.

Then we break off into brackets, and hold a tournament to rank the best teams in order of 1st to 7th. Winners will be decided over a debate and majority rule vote over who has the all around best team of 10 units.

Those with 11 or more units must pick 10, and bench(keep but not use for an indivdual battle), trade(for another unit to swap in and out of the bench), or release(drop entirely) their extra unit. Each individual match will be 10 chosen units vs. 10 chosen units. The maximum number of units a person can have is 15(which can only happen if we do another draft after this first draft) If you're not available to choose your units for a match, the 10 that you chose last round will be carried over.

After this, we can make rules for a new draft and for additional players if necessary. You can also swap teams, or give your team away to someone else

Does this sound like fun to anyone? If so, pick a draft spot
7.(last pick)HMS_mikestrike
---
"...that is until Lyn opens her legs and unleashes the Kraken from the briney depths to impregnate him."- MutsumiiyNaru
#2NoTruthNoProbPosted 3/18/2012 4:33:05 PM
Hmm, first I am sorry to say I am not particularly interested in this idea since I don't really understand it's purpose but can I offer a small suggestion? Without certain units (Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, potentially Geoffrey) completing ANY draft would be almost impossible so maybe you should try using the Serenes Forest FE10 generic draft rules and just drop the number of 'agents' down to 9 instead of 10. This way there will always be at least ONE character that everyone can use during any of the maps.

For reference this is the kind of stuff they usually use for FE10 drafts:
Drafting:
1. This draft is for 7 players.
2. Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Geoffrey, the Herons, the Black Knight, and Lehran are free for all to use.
3. The drafting order is reversed for the last round of picks.
4. Haar is banned from drafting.
5. The game will be played on Normal Mode.

Rules:
1. Undrafted units may recruit characters, Rescue and Shove/Smite undrafted characters and NPCs, trade, Escape/Arrive, and transfer items/skills between teams.
2. Undrafted units may not do anything not listed above, including but not limited to meatshielding, building Supports, opening Doors and Chests, finding hidden items, and giving Blood Tide/Night Tide/White Pool bonuses.
3. Allied and Other units may do as they please without penalty.
4. Defend chapters count the last played Player Phase for turns if the timer is waited out.

Penalties:
1. Undrafted units have a 4 turn penalty, per unit per chapter (1-6 counts as 2 chapters, and 4-E counts as 5 chapters).

Exceptions:
1. One of Edward or Nolan is free for each of 1-P, 1-1 and 1-2.
2. Volug is free for 1-5.
3. Elincia, Marcia and Nealuchi are free for 2-P
4. Nephenee and Brom are free for 2-1.
5. One undrafted, non-Lucia unit is free for 2-2.
6. One undrafted, 7 move unit is free for 3-1.
7. One undrafted, 6 move unit is free for 3-3.

Teams:
(names go here)
---
Special announcement for this topic:
Stop, now think about it.
#3WilhuffTarkinPosted 3/18/2012 4:57:17 PM
Uh...I guess I'll take the top draft spot.
---
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
#4HMS_mikestrike(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2012 7:36:47 PM
The idea isn't that this is for use in actual playthroughs, just for theoretical competition. And after clear victors are decided, we bring in a new batch of characters, either enemy units or units from another game. And that's when things get crazy.
---
"...that is until Lyn opens her legs and unleashes the Kraken from the briney depths to impregnate him."- MutsumiiyNaru
#5HMS_mikestrike(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2012 7:37:14 PM
The idea isn't that this is for use in actual playthroughs, just for theoretical competition. And after clear victors are decided, we bring in a new batch of characters, either enemy units or units from another game. And that's when things get crazy.
---
#6rhys855Posted 3/19/2012 9:42:59 AM
I'll try but i don't fully understand do i pick my 10 units?
---
KITTY CAT--> /\_/\
.....................=(^_^)=
#7kirbymuncherPosted 3/19/2012 9:46:17 AM

From: NoTruthNoProb | Posted: 3/18/2012 8:33:05 PM | #002
Special announcement for this topic:

I paid so much attention to these in the other draft topics :P
---
So what happens after FE10?
Astrid becomes a professional comedian by showing off her base stats-WaterofDarkness
#8HMS_mikestrike(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 10:22:50 AM
You pick your 10 units, one at a time, taking turns, like an NFL draft. WillhuffTarkin gets 1st pick, then it's the #2 guy's turn, and so on. Once I get my pick, it's Willhuff's turn to take his 2nd pick. We keep doing this until all available characters have been picked up.
Current teams:
1.WillhuffTarkin
7.HMS

So get in on this fun!
---
#9rhys855Posted 3/19/2012 1:51:50 PM
Oh ok i get it so im Third. :)
---
KITTY CAT--> /\_/\
.....................=(^_^)=
#10phaazemasterPosted 3/19/2012 10:07:52 PM
HMS_mikestrike posted...
The idea isn't that this is for use in actual playthroughs, just for theoretical competition

Wait, then what's the point of doing this at all? Debates about theoretical team dynamics is not much different than arguing a unit's position on the tier list, and unless one person has all the top tier units then the debates will just consist of a lot of what has probably been done to death in almost any tier placement topic ever.

The playthrough of the game with the drafted team is what really makes these worthwhile. Without the practicality of taking into account a drafter's skill and knowledge of the game, as well as the element of luck courtesy of the RNG, this seems like a glorified tier debate topic, which is not at all what I think of when I hear the word "draft" on the FE boards.

Also, snake drafting is where it's at, so that the process is not weighted to those at the top of the list (ie. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-.... and so on)
---
"I aim to misbehave"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity