Sentinels > Trueblades

#1VectorAgentPosted 5/13/2012 9:19:07 PM
imo, because they can take much more abuse.

What does everyone else think?
---
This is here so that I can say something in all caps if I want.
#2OrnerySpoonPosted 5/13/2012 9:47:02 PM
That depends on what the parameters are exactly. I'd personally take any Trueblade to Endgame before a male sentinel (female sentinel - i.e. Nephenee - is closer, but I'd still probably take the TB).

On a general gaming sense, I tend to prefer balanced characters over weak but fast ones. However, within the context of Fire Emblem where Speed reins supreme, there's some real incentive to go with the faster option even at the cost of some str/def.

Within individual characters, I personally would rank Mia and Zihark far ahead of the other TBs and sentinels, with all the others sitting not particularly far apart from each other. So that once again leans me in favor of TBs. It also helps that the TBs tend to have more desirable affinities (two earths and a fire, yum yum).

...Yep. I'd have to say I sit with the Trueblades on this one. Which is weird, because normally I'm not all that wild about them. I guess it's just this particular game. I know I preferred Neph over all the Swordies in PoR, and I generally preferred mercs in the GBA FEs over their myrmidon counterparts...
---
You can wax my huge spoon.
#3Lionheart358Posted 5/13/2012 11:52:00 PM
I'm a TB man myself, the high speed units appeal to my play style more. And I just love Mia and Zihark, my two favorite characters right there.
---
That's it, I quit. This just ain't my thing...The hell with the exams. 's time for my animal crackers...
Official Shiny Luxray of the Pokemon B/W 2 boards.
#4kingbriannPosted 5/14/2012 9:34:37 AM
OrnerySpoon posted...
That depends on what the parameters are exactly. I'd personally take any Trueblade to Endgame before a male sentinel (female sentinel - i.e. Nephenee - is closer, but I'd still probably take the TB).

On a general gaming sense, I tend to prefer balanced characters over weak but fast ones. However, within the context of Fire Emblem where Speed reins supreme, there's some real incentive to go with the faster option even at the cost of some str/def.

Within individual characters, I personally would rank Mia and Zihark far ahead of the other TBs and sentinels, with all the others sitting not particularly far apart from each other. So that once again leans me in favor of TBs. It also helps that the TBs tend to have more desirable affinities (two earths and a fire, yum yum).

...Yep. I'd have to say I sit with the Trueblades on this one. Which is weird, because normally I'm not all that wild about them. I guess it's just this particular game. I know I preferred Neph over all the Swordies in PoR, and I generally preferred mercs in the GBA FEs over their myrmidon counterparts...

honestly, id say edward / zihark is better than mia.
mia is only technically the "best" because of her availability and has more chance to reach 20/20

edward and zihark offer better str and def than mia, and thats is an essential in TB because of their low dmg input. both cap at 40 spd / skill but mia has a slight edge in resistance. mages are less than 10% of the entire enemy in this game so i dont see how resistance is that useful. it might be against sephirans final AoE or something though.

i honestly believe edward has better stat growth but ziharks earth affinity also rivals his stat growths.

as for the sentinel part, i think both are equal.
while astrum is probably the WORST mastery skill next to flare / coronoa , impale is prob one of the best that can one hit ko.
honestly astrum just means = 1 crit + 2 normal slash. AT THE COST OF 5 DURABILITY. LOL
other masteries can one hit ko already. why do i have to awste 5 dur to kill one person?.
And also, adept has a better chance of activating than astrum anyways, making astrum a totally worthless mastery skill. if i recall, back in PoR, Astrum didnt use up 5 dur but only 1. sad they didnt keep it.
#5nflchampPosted 5/14/2012 10:34:12 AM
kingbriann posted...
honestly, id say edward / zihark is better than mia.
mia is only technically the "best" because of her availability and has more chance to reach 20/20

Honestly, I don't mind a Zihark is better than Mia argument when it isn't some pointless drivel that has no basis. (I do mind an Edward is better than Mia argument because its impossible.) Let's begin with this:

http://serenesforest.net/

SF has averages and growths and almost anything you could ever want when you talk about characters, please use it.

edward and zihark offer better str and def than mia, and thats is an essential in TB because of their low dmg input....

Let's tackle this then. First Edward's and Zihark's "better STR" is not better unless they have +ATK supports since Mia's fire will boost her ATK by 2. Not like the one point either way (that Zihark might not even reach without help) really matters in all likelihood.

Next, Edward's and Zihark's better DEF is hardly a concern. Zihark's DEF win (if he actually has one) won't change how fast he is KO'd in comparison to Mia. Edward's DEF win, with his DEF support has a small range where (in HM endgame) he'll be 3HKO'd and Mia will be 2HKO'd. Small enough that almost no enemies actually fall in it. Supposing all of them have Earth supports, they all have around the same (pathetic) chance to be hit. The chances of any dieing are hardly different.

i honestly believe edward has better stat growth but ziharks earth affinity also rivals his stat growths.

I'd like to report that Edward has the best growths of the lot, not that it helps him any.

as for the sentinel part, i think both are equal.

Now this is a hilariously unsupported statement. Ignoring the fact that there are three possible Sentinels, I expected what came after this statement to support your idea of equality. Instead we went into no man's land to talk about masteries.

while astrum is probably the WORST mastery skill next to flare / coronoa , impale is prob one of the best that can one hit ko.

Admittedly, Astra doesn't have guaranteed KO potential. By the time it's gotten though I'm guessing it will rarely fail to do so. Impale is no different from other OHKO skills.

honestly astrum just means = 1 crit + 2 normal slash. AT THE COST OF 5 DURABILITY. LOL

I'd like to note Astra ends when it kills. If it takes 1 hit to kill, 1 durability is lost. No automatic loss of 5 durability. Now I question if I actually care about durability loss on most of my swords. I'm guessing no, since a dead enemy is probably better.

other masteries can one hit ko already. why do i have to awste 5 dur to kill one person?.

Admittedly an advantage of other masteries, though a minor one.

And also, adept has a better chance of activating than astrum anyways, making astrum a totally worthless mastery skill.

This is another poorly supported statement. Astra does five times the normal damage - Adept does two. If the enemy survives two attacks they get to counter when Adept activates; they'll need to survive five in the same case with Astra. While enemies generally have a terrible chance to hit, TBs have bad defense beyond that. Entirely eliminating the chance of being hit is better than relying on dodge. In addition, if the enemy can survive 3 (or 4) hits they may survive the round and get to attack again. It is far less likely the enemy will survive 6 (an upwards of 10) hits from Astra.

Against enemies that are 2HKO'd Adept is definitely better. The more durable enemies (4-6HKO'd) I'd give the advantage to Astra despite having worse activation rates. Anything more durable and TBs suck, so who cares.

if i recall, back in PoR, Astrum didnt use up 5 dur but only 1. sad they didnt keep it.

I though Astra used 5 guaranteed in PoR, but I could be wrong.
#6bottlegnomesPosted 5/14/2012 11:30:23 AM
Nope, astra weapon use is the exact same in both games.
---
"You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us."
- Calvin
#7RainbowBooPosted 5/14/2012 12:02:26 PM
I don't know. If my TB(s) don't crit/activate a skill, they usually don't kill. I find Mia to just have a slight edge over Zihark. By slight edge i mean she doesn't need stat boosters, but Zihark tends to need one. I personally have NEVER had a good Edward. Once he got SPEED screwed :S. he had 15 speed at lvl 19 myrmidon :( . Stefan is good, if your other TB's got RNG screwed or are underleveled. He has higher caps (Like str and def) than Mia, and will probably reach them. I took him and Mia to the endgame and at level 14 he had better stregnth, HP and defense. They already capped skill and speed, and honestly, if i could choose a unit with higher HP, stregnth and defence or a unit with more resistance and luck, i would go for the first one. Lucia sucks. Period. As for Sentinels, Nephenee is great, if lucky. If she caps speed then she can double everything, AND do more damage than TB's. Impale is also WAYYYY better than Astra. Also fun fact. In the european version of Radiant Dawn, Sentinels are called Lancers, but if you look at impale's descripcion, it says it's for sentinels. Danved is not that great, though he's not bad. Aran can be made great by having him in Micaiah's group in part 4 with a few maxed stats. BEXP him to level 20 and he should gain lots of speed. Then he can double and because of him sharing the highest stregnth growth in the game (with Rolf), he will do MASSIVE ammounts of damage.
#8aku chiPosted 5/14/2012 4:02:22 PM
nflchamp posted...
Against enemies that are 2HKO'd Adept is definitely better. The more durable enemies (4-6HKO'd) I'd give the advantage to Astra despite having worse activation rates.

Adept and Astra stack, so...
#9nflchampPosted 5/14/2012 5:10:17 PM
aku chi posted...
nflchamp posted...
Against enemies that are 2HKO'd Adept is definitely better. The more durable enemies (4-6HKO'd) I'd give the advantage to Astra despite having worse activation rates.

Adept and Astra stack, so...

They don't. Well, you can have both but only one can activate on a given attack.
#10aku chiPosted 5/15/2012 10:23:06 AM
nflchamp posted...
They don't. Well, you can have both but only one can activate on a given attack.

Whoops. Forgive my error. But unless I'm mistaken, neither Adept nor Astra alone could ever be preferable to both Adept and Astra.