Fruit Trees

#1comb ninjaPosted 10/26/2008 11:48:38 AM
I have a lot of questions about trees! Soon I will be starting an orchard. I plan to fill The Hilltop Plot (cherries), the Seaside Plot (oranges), and the Mountain Top(apples, grapes, chesnuts) all with trees! This is all the information I have so far from the forums I don't know what is right and what is wrong! There seems to be a lot of confusion!

Trees and Weeds

Do weeds interfere with trees?

NurseFin: Actually, trees can still drop fruit if they are surrounded by weeds. They'll just drop fruit on top of the weeds... and if you leave them alone for too long and they begin to pile up, they will move outside the 3x3 square.

What about the growth rate of trees?

Trees and Planting formations

Trees need a 3x3 area to be planted but can they overlap and still produce the same results as if each tree has the whole 3x3 area?

NurseFin: Oh, and because of that [item stacking in the same square], they can share space with other trees, and possibly drop on non-tillable land, but you need to plant the tree in a 3x3 square, so you can't have a tree that is exactly on the corner of the field.

So according to NurseFin you could have an orchard like this:
o=open space X=tree
ooooo
oXoXo
ooooo
oXoXo
ooooo

or possible even
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX

Has anyone tried this?

mister_jmp says: If both trees drop a fruit at the same spot at the same time there will only be one fruit, though. If you make one tree a fall tree and the one next to it a spring/summer tree, they won't give fruit at the same time (slightly more efficient).

Is this true?

Trees and Fertilizer

Sugar_Celebi: Someone (I forget who, it might have been Stormfeather) eperimented with trees and fertilization. Apparently, through said research, it was discovered that trees don't grow any faster when fertilized and/or watered than when left to grow on their own. The person wasn't sure if it would affect the fruit, as they had yet to get to the correct season, but I'd guess it wouldn't. I didn't fertilize my orange tree (I watered it though), and it drops 3 oranges every time. I doubt it would drop more.

Stormfeather: Yeah, it was me. And I'm about halfway through fall now, and while it's possible there's been *slightly* more fruit from the fertilized one, it hasn't been really noticeable. (And the *one* shining fruit I've got from the 3 trees I planted to test with didn't come from the fertilized tree, either. :p )

It sounds like fertilizer isn't really worth it for trees.

Watering Trees

Do you have to water trees?

The answer most seen is no, never ever have to water them.

However, there is some who say you must water the seedlings in order for them to mature faster.

The problem is that even if you don't water them the rain will so no one is sure if you have to water trees to get them to grow faster. We do know that trees will definately mature and bear fruit if you never water them.

All information about fruit trees is needed! (by me)

---
"Please find my dear friends...
Dead or Alive" -redmakoto
#2PeachSmoothiePosted 10/26/2008 12:47:17 PM
Just to respond to some of your thoughts:

So according to NurseFin you could have an orchard like this:
o=open space X=tree
ooooo
oXoXo
ooooo
oXoXo
ooooo

or possible even
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX

The latter idea with an entire 3x4 area of trees will not work in theory since fruit cannot fall on top of another tree. The former plot layout would work better, giving some room for fruit to fall. And yes, it's better to plant trees of different ripening seasons next to each other since only fruit from a tree of that season will bear fruit. I planted a cherry tree next to my apple tree and only cherries fall. The apples don't even appear on the apple tree yet like it will in the fall.

I water my trees, and they mature within a season and some change. I don't know about others not watering their trees, but informational wise, I'm able to plant a fall tree late spring and it'll produce fruit the following fall. I've never noticed a direct correlation between tree fruit quality to soil quality, but I have noticed a tree planted on better soil matures faster.

I don't know how large trees get, but they do keep growing after the first year.

---
www.chiayii.com
#3comb ninja(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2008 1:02:36 PM
Thank you for the info!
---
#4StormfeatherPosted 10/26/2008 1:45:23 PM
As you can see in the above quoted stuff, I experimented by planting 3 apple trees, one I didn't water, one I watered, one I watered and had fertilized. All three matured at the same rate.
---
Please insert witty quote here.
#5comb ninja(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2008 2:20:56 PM
Ya, Stormfeather. I am not going to water my trees. I really just want to have them so it doesn't matter how long they grow.
---
#6wonnyluvPosted 10/26/2008 3:17:17 PM
I never water my trees after they are fully matured, until I noticed whenever I water them, I get a few fruits the next day (during their harvest season of course).
So watering them actually doubled the produce. On average, if I do not water them, I get about 10 fruits during their harvest season; if I do water them, I get 18 to 20 fruits during their harvest seasons, some are even shining ones.
Well, maybe it was because I upgraded my watering can. Idk...
#7mister_jmpPosted 10/26/2008 8:00:48 PM
The game does not allow you to place trees next to each other:
ooo
oxx
ooo

-OR-

xoo
oxo
ooo

But the ones that pop-up randomly can appear next to each other.

Anyone notice that saplings don't mature when adjacent to a weed? Seems to be the case to me, but I need to experiment more.
---
Except the inevitable.
#8NekoRenPosted 10/26/2008 8:20:14 PM
Fascinating.
May I ask a noob question?
Can you keep your trees even after their seasons? Is it recommended? or do you just chop 'em down after their season?
#9radiantheartPosted 10/26/2008 8:50:58 PM
Why would you chop them down? They'll drop fruit the next year too.
---
Steph
I am sloth. Hear me snore. ~ I am shtill in shock?