This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Grand Theft Auto series a bad influence for children?

#21LFCKINGSPosted 3/25/2008 11:15:25 AM
NO, but telling kids they cant have GTA will make them angry, & want to kill parents. do you really want that?
---
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly
#22yediPosted 3/25/2008 11:30:35 AM
I say it depends on the parents and the kid. I've been playing video games since I was 2, and my parents did their job in implementing a sense of right and wrong unto me.

However, my neighbors 6 year old grandkid hasn't had the same results. He swears, he says he wants to beat up police officers(there's something eerie about hearing that from a 6 year old), and shows a lot of violent behavior towards others who disagree with him(he actually got suspended twice in kindergarten for FIGHTING). He hasn't had that firm set of common sense and decency placed upon him yet. In short his parents didn't do their job.

Now, keep in mind that the other 2 grandkids(whom are 11 and 15) whose parents DID take care of them are pretty much normal. A little whiney, but not violent or vulgar, and they've been playing GTA since III was released.

So in short, GTA is a bad influence if the parents suck.
---
XBL: canadian yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.sheezyart.com or yedi.deviantart.com
#23CH355Y(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2008 11:30:57 AM
DrDirtnap posted...
Its all in the parenting. Be a parent. Dont blame your failure on entertainment.
---
There are many ways to defile a corpse fool! Know that I shall practice every one on your rotting bones!~Artemis Entreri

just the right answer
#24King_Aragorn49Posted 3/25/2008 11:35:49 AM

TrevorKRVTS posted...
gta sa made my cousin join a gang and almost got me to as well, though that might have been middle school pressure in a bad area

GTA:SA made you cousin join a gang? How exactly? Did it mail you a post card saying, hay GTA: SA here. Me thinks you should join a gang!
Does it give you homocidal Tendincies aswell? Everytime you see a prostitute do ya just want to stab them? When people do stupid stuff and they blame a game or music.. Its frustrates me. Cause it spawns people like JT. And shows a huge lack of maturity. No Game makes you join a game. You do it.

Now these are the kids that seem to not have the metal capacity to play such games - They are usually the younger type.. So tahts why I like the Age Restrictions.. But for the 99% of us who can play it and not have it distort reality I think the game is fine.

But sheesh... Join a gang? Really?

"Honest Judge - I only shot him cause I was playing GTAIV.. and it made it seem so cool... Its not at all my fault, not one bit... I only stole the gun, found the target and aimed at them. GTAIV made me fire it!"

Its like saying the war in Iraq is to Protect others from Weapons of Mass Destruction.....

#25chainbladeONps3Posted 3/25/2008 11:37:49 AM

it shouldnt matter if the parents know whats best for there children

i mean if the kid's breaking things and $hit constantly then no

if the kid's mannered in a way i think they could let him/her try out new things if hey want

#26Swink888Posted 3/25/2008 11:38:26 AM
i totally agree with NumenDivinum
---
gt:krafty spartan
now playing: gears of war, CoD 4, devil may cry 4, assassins creed
#27paradoxworldPosted 3/25/2008 11:43:57 AM
It is for some cases. when the child gets a hold of it. It's not the game's or the creators fault. The parents that buy it for them are the blame, along with the irresponsible employees that don't card. These games have the "M" rating on them. They were made for adults.

Whats the point in carding if its a 10 year old with his mom?

It is just bad parenting. Not the employees fault. Even if the employee sells a 6 year old an M rated game and the 6 year old didn't even have a parent with him, it is still the parent's fault. If they don't pay attention to where their child is, what their child is buying, what their child is playing, then it is their fault.
---
Did you know you can donate one or all of your vital organs to the Aperture Science Self Esteem Fund for Girls? Itís true!
#28JP2458Posted 3/25/2008 11:44:24 AM
Yep, as soon as I got done playing the first game I went out, found a hooker, paid her for sex, then ran her over to get my money back. Ahhhh, all in a days work.
#29jasonethosPosted 3/25/2008 12:28:10 PM
Is the Grand Theft Auto series a bad influence for children? YES. Obviously. Denial of this FACT is no different than believing that the earth is flat.

---
P5N-E/E6420/2GB 5400/7900GS; 360; PS3, Wii; Playing: Call of Duty 4 (PC), Battlefield 2 (PC)
#30Arkady_HuskyPosted 3/25/2008 12:40:03 PM

GTA IV is RSRB-rated 'M' which is 17+. Children shouldn't be playing this game, and if you see a child playing it, wag your finger, castigate it and pull down their duds and spank them on their tuchus.