Dusk-like adventure games?

#1AshogoPosted 7/7/2010 6:10:48 AM

I figured this might be a good place to mention some games that are similar to hotel dusk. Not only in point-and-click adventure style, but also just in the mood or style...I'd like to hear other people's favorites, and get suggestions as well.

I actually haven't played that many adventure games, but the first that comes to mind is obviously Trace memory. Made by the same devs, but a completely different atmosphere, and I'll be honest I wasn't a huge fan. The game was just way too short and there wasn't enough character interaction for my tastes. The backtracking was annoying as well. It laid the groundwork for Cing's future adventure games though.

There's an interesting detective game on the SNES called 'famicom detective club'. It's actually the second part of the series, and it has a pretty good english patch available so I'd recommend checking it out. Not really similar to dusk in mood at all, since you're playing as a young high school kid solving a complex murder case, but it tells a pretty good story and has a kind of similar investigation style.

Let's see...guess the ace attorney games are worth mentioning as well, being on the same system. Great games, mostly, but kind of polar opposites of dusk aside from the game genre. I'd take Hyde over phoenix any day.

Any other interesting games you've played that remind you of Hotel Dusk?

#2neonickPosted 7/7/2010 9:30:14 AM
The Professor Layton series is a good one to pick up. It's a point-and-click adventure game that similar in that you have to walk around asking people about information related to the mystery. Instead of having to pick the right response, you have to solve puzzles for information. I've also seen people recommend the Phoenix Wright series, but I've never played it so I can't recommend it.
---
Human rights are endowed by our creator, not by congress
Democrat's health care plan: lies, bribes, and higher taxes
#3Ashogo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2010 8:08:37 PM
I love the concept of Professor Layton--it has a lot of charm, but I could never really get into the puzzles unfortunately. They are well-made games to be sure, though.

I also just remembered this old PC detective game that I've heard people mention, called "Under a Killing Moon". It's part of the Tex Murphy series, but I guess probably no one here has played it...I'd like to check it out someday.
#4slyjakprinceicoPosted 7/9/2010 9:21:55 AM
Definitely the Professor Layton games since I somehow got reminded of them while playing this. Also, there will be a sequel to this game called Second Window featuring Kyle Hyde again. It's out in Japan but they're waiting for a release for the US and EU.
#5neonickPosted 7/9/2010 7:37:41 PM
^^ The sequel is actually called Last Window, and neither the US nor Europe has heard even a whisper about a release date since Japan got it in January. NoE DID file a trademark, but that was a few months ago. Since then the sequel has (unfortunately) been dead in the water.
---
Human rights are endowed by our creator, not by congress
Democrat's health care plan: lies, bribes, and higher taxes
#6RaulsenPosted 7/14/2010 5:33:31 PM
Might as well tell you if you're checking this topic TC, Last Window's getting a localization in Europe (so far, no NA). It's called Last Window: The Secret of Cape West.
---
Yes, I'm a Christian and 100% proud of it. God Bless!
God is always the answer.
#7zeldafanjtlPosted 7/15/2010 12:29:29 PM
I'd recommend the Ace Attorney series as the character interaction is somewhat similar.
---
"[C]leave to no faith when faith brings blood." - Arthur Miller
#8MeatyDoughnutPosted 7/16/2010 4:28:53 AM
Ace Attourney is DEFINITELY a good suggestion.

I've been playing splicing these games together because when I play one, I'm in the mood for another.

Quick note about the AA games, it's not all courtroom drama. You have to walk around, collecting evidence, showing it to people to spark conversation, use your brain to work out stuff.
---
Don't ban me.
The average bear could kick your ass