Lauren and Scott *Spoilers*

#1SuperXero8Posted 2/26/2010 11:57:14 PM
Why on earth would he save her if he was the killer? He could have just let her drown (which is an option given to you), and no one would know the difference. Does the game just give you the option to save her because you haven't learned yet that Scott is the killer? Or that he "feeds" on the misery of the parents who lost their children, just like Lauren said in the ending where she kills him?

SuperXero
#2TaintedEonPosted 2/26/2010 11:58:26 PM
They do both. They let you do it because it's the right thing to do, and because you don't know he's a killer.

It'd be strange if during that scene he was just like...

"She'll be ok."

And then swims out.
---
"The Black Wind Howls"
Chrono Trigger, Best Game Ever.
#3ZenOfThunderPosted 2/26/2010 11:59:29 PM
I dunno, I just feel like the only people he wants punished were the fathers. He loved his mother (I think, the flashbacks seem to give you the impression that he loves her) and he sees himself as executing some kind of weird justice against said fathers so he probably only kills when he has to.
---
(|| ' ' ||) Visio Vestri - Character Battle VIII Fanfiction Project
. /|_|\ http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=8&topic=53091233
#4SquallLuvsL4PPosted 2/26/2010 11:59:46 PM
Given Scotts motives for keeping her around in the first place, it would make more sense for him to let her die.

But when I had him save her I assumed it was because he felt guilty enough killing her son and maybe he had to make that up to her in some way.
---
My Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dengarde
Current Videos: Shadow Hearts Covenant - Directors Cut
#5AdethPosted 2/27/2010 12:01:07 AM
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around Scott's character as well.

His murders and trials show his sociopathic tendencies, but I'd like to think that he feels genuine affection for Lauren. I don't know if he actually feels remorse... if he does, it certainly doesn't stop him from continuing with his actions. Maybe he hoped to pin it all on Kramer's son, fooling Lauren and rest of the world?
#6caveraPosted 2/27/2010 12:02:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7Okay_ComputerPosted 2/27/2010 12:05:15 AM
I think he's sincerely attached to her, at least a little bit.
---
I don't listen to Radiohead.
PSN/GT: Torien7
#8Okay_ComputerPosted 2/27/2010 12:05:29 AM
..I mean, I don't wish it was that way, but I think it is that way.
---
I don't listen to Radiohead.
PSN/GT: Torien7
#9Ultima WeltallPosted 2/27/2010 12:06:26 AM
Yeah, Scott's character is definitely interesting. I sometimes think he has a slight schizophrenia. The killer persona, and the cop persona. Obviously they fuse together at some points, but I still think he has problems.

As someone else pointed out in another topic, he does have really convincing thoughts to himself about finding the killer. Is it really just a gameplay element to keep you guessing, or is there really a mental problem with him?

I think i'm reaching, but it's fascinating.
---
Wii: 4263 8528 5516 8723
PSN: xolidusfox
#10NewMoonShadowPosted 2/27/2010 12:14:35 AM
I didn't really check many of Shelby's thoughts besides those in the Cemetery, and those were all admiring Lauren's deductive reasoning skills, since he knew every conclusion she reached was 100% correct.

I think he saved Lauren for the same reason he saved Mrs. Bowles... he's just a nice guy. There was no reason for him to worry about her, yet he seemed genuinely upset when he found her suicide note, and was genuinely supportive of her in trying to get her to continue with her life and be there for her daughter. Hell, he was damn near a guardian angel in that scene... which actually might be what he sees himself as. Saving mothers and sons alike from the tyranny of a father who doesn't care enough to protect them.

Hell, there was also no reason for him to protect Hassan. He could have waited for the criminal to kill him, run off, and then search the store for the evidence he needed.

Shelby's a very complicated character, moreso perhaps than the villain of any movie I've seen in a very, VERY long time. I think there was an element of him being attached to Lauren, but he's also just a genuinely good person. He simply has massive issues he can't seem to work through.