Reverse sword grip is good for ONLY one thing (this game has it wrong)

#1acdimpsPosted 7/10/2008 11:36:46 AM
A reverse grib is ONLY "useful" if one has a shorter blade, and you are "concealing" it behind your forearm (by holding it against the back of your forearm). With this use of the grip, you can concievably attack an enemy off guard.

In all out direct combat, there is NO benefit to holding a sword in the reverse grip You have EVERY disadvantage compared to a traditionally-held blade. The only OTHER thing I can think of is that if you are stupid enough to cross your torsoe with your sword-arm, the reverse grip would give you a (very poor) chance at still defending attacks.

So yea, I just hate how "ninjas" and other "badass" characters always use reverse-grip styles when they aren't needed
#2acdimps(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2008 11:37:45 AM
and I know there are spelling errors, I don't care. Gamefaqs is horrible for not having an edit button
#3BillGreen68Posted 7/10/2008 11:41:19 AM
It doesn't really matter, since he uses the force. Using a lightsaber is probably nothing like traditional sword fighting.
#4acdimps(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2008 11:42:58 AM
I think it's the same. Don't let the opponent's blade touch you. Who cares if the blade can cut through anything, same principles.

The only arguement I can see being made is if lightsabers have weightless blades (I dunno). But even then, the reverse grip is impractical for all out combat since you'd still be at a disadvantage for blade reach, angle of attack/defense, and leverage.
#5BillGreen68Posted 7/10/2008 11:47:01 AM
The blade is weightless. And Jedi use the force to determine how fast/strong and which direction to swing their lightsabre. It's not like traditional sword fighting.
#6acdimps(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2008 11:48:48 AM
fair enough. if you had a surefire sens at WHERE the enemy was going to swing, I guess it wouldn't matter how you held your sword---
#7acdimps(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2008 11:50:11 AM
or if you had a sense of where to swing YOUR blade, for that matter
#8Blackhawk692Posted 7/10/2008 1:00:59 PM

acdimps posted...
(by holding it against the back of your forearm)

ow, no the reverse grip is only used for one thing, Looking badass

#9Amidamaru_Posted 7/10/2008 1:12:05 PM
^ You do NOT hold the sharp edge of the blade to your forearm.
Either the flat of the blade or the dull side.

Other than concealing your blade and possibly looking bad ass it has very little other purpose.
---
WTF!?|?!FTW
#10UnleashedSithPosted 7/10/2008 1:24:55 PM
Holding the weapon backhanded is a good strategy when you are using it as your secondary weapon. Starkiller/SA's primary weapon is the force. Also, by holding the weapon backhand you can make slashing movements faster much as you would a punch. And SA/Starkiller switches to normal grip for his duels against lightsaber wielding opponents.