I've only played the first few missions...

#1VisMajorXPosted 4/28/2009 5:35:48 PM
But so far, I'd rather just throw Freelancer in and have a go at that old piece of work.

I'm not very impressed with this game for a number of reasons, I could start with the fact that the cockpit you sit in has one of those pine tree air fresheners hanging from the top of it.

But thats a nit pick. Control isn't very good. The missions don't make much sense. I spend more time getting from point a to b than in the mission doing combat, and the combat is kind of weak too. I REALLY wanted this game to be something great but its not even 'fair' its like it has TONS of potential in every area but falls very short EVERY SINGLE TIME. Even the interiors of the game where you run around and talk to people on the ship, is just poorly done essentially and I'm just all around not impressed with any of it.

Hows that?
#2lindallisonPosted 4/28/2009 7:31:03 PM

good to hear I suppose - I heard as much from the eastern fellows whom I questioned about this game months ago, since they've had their hands on it for years now.

#3darrenecmPosted 4/29/2009 11:26:27 AM
One of the most god-awful games I've seen in some time. Voice acting is particularly laughable. Missions do indeed not make any sense, likely because of cultural translations about what is deemed a good story and plot.

Someone with any sense of creative pride should have made the decision that if you can't do an at least 'half-decent' job of providing voice acting, then DON'T do it at all and stick with on-screen text dialogue to save embrassment and wasted money.

I'm not sure what I was expecting really. 1C Publishing are renknowned for churning out low-quality nonsense like this. It's one of those "Throw it on the store shelf without any fanfare and let's hope it sells by virtue of the pretty 3D graphics on the box" games. It's also one of those games that you will likely never see a review of in GameSpot. GameSpot seem to have some unmentioned policy of not reviewing really, really bad games, even though I think they should do as a service to their readers so that we can avoid wasting money on such poor titles.
#4MASTERBLARGPosted 4/29/2009 3:04:24 PM
Actually the last several games from 1C have been great. Just because millions of dollars can't be thrown at their voice acting and graphics departments doesn't mean a thing. If you do think that, you missed out on Cryostasis and Necrovision. And that's sad.

Anyway, this game's only real downfall is the story is confined. We're all used to x3 and freelancer that give us the option to go do whatever the hell we want, since they didn't feel like putting a storyboard together. The game itself is ok, it's worth a play-through if you have the time to sit through a lot of travel. I normally hit auto-pilot and did some house cleaning. But I'm hoping this game's engine has yet to shine. I'm looking forward to some sandbox patches or private release mods.
#5kaisama88Posted 4/29/2009 6:45:42 PM

Actually the last several games from 1C have been great. Just because millions of dollars can't be thrown at their voice acting and graphics departments doesn't mean a thing. If you do think that, you missed out on Cryostasis and Necrovision. And that's sad.

You didn't mention King's Bounty, that's sad :(
#6MASTERBLARGPosted 4/30/2009 7:34:27 AM
I didn't know that one was 1C, that was a great one. Guess I skipped through all the intros all the time.
#7thusahaPosted 4/30/2009 7:21:07 PM

It's out already?

#8maj0rpawnagePosted 4/30/2009 9:50:11 PM
It came out a few days ago on torrent sites, I checked for some reviews, but no luck :-|. The screens look good but I doubt I will get this game.
---
e6300@3.51GHz, 2GB Mushkin@ DDR 1206 5-5-5-15, Antec 550w PSU, Asus Maximus Formula, HD 4850 900/1150MHz
#9LoatheMePosted 5/2/2009 8:32:28 PM
even the positive comments about this sound boring...go clean while waiting for travel to end really?? meh. pass.
#10tvarenPosted 5/3/2009 8:50:48 PM
Since you've played through the first few missions OP, would you mind telling me how to get past the first training mission? The one where you form up with a couple guys and destroy some drones near Saturn.

I get out there and I finally got the hang of destroying the drones, but after I kill a few of them it cuts to a scene rotating around my ship, fades out, and then I'm looking at the main menu.