JUS Board FAQ *read before asking questions* (revised)

#1ninja1357Posted 1/4/2009 8:38:56 PMmessage detail
Most of this was copied and pasted from the first faq

Table of Contents
-Intro-
-General courtesy-
1. What is Jump Ultimate Stars?
2. When is this coming out in English?
3. What? Why isn't this coming out in English?
4. Do I need to know Japanese to play this?
5. Is ____ in the game/how do I unlock ____
6. What are komas, and why can't I use my deck?
7. Common acronyms
8. Who are the Big 3 and why are they banned so much?
9. Random, hackers, gem farmers, and freeze D/C
10. Is there a tier list for the characters?
11. Clans
12. What's all this Champ/RU stuff?
13. What's with all these phrases?
14. I have a question but the board members are jerks :'(
15. Why isn't L playable?
16. What the hell is this guy saying?
17. So when is a sequel being announced?

Okay... this is my first attempt at a stickied topic, so bear with the bunny (lol pun XD). I've noticed a rise in new Jump Ultimate Stars players on this board, and that's both a good and bad thing. It's always nice to have more people to play, but it also tends to cause a rise in questions that can be easily answered by just looking around...
And as a common courtesy, people tend to say "Good games", or "GGs", or something along those lines after they finish playing someone on this board. Even if you didn't like how he or she played, you shouldn't complain unless they broke one of the rules stated in the topic. Put simply, if you don't like something (such as ring outs, combo breaking, healing, etc.), then be sure to say not to do so in your rules, or don't play people who do those things.

1. What is Jump Ultimate Stars?

Jump Ultimate Stars, or JUS as it's often called, is a platform fighting game released only in Japan. Since you can probably figure not everyone of us on these boards lives in Japan, it can also be imported from numerous stores. It uses characters from various manga from the popular Shonen Jump manga. Like the SSB games, you can form different attacks by pressing certain buttons and directions. But unlike SSB, you can defeat opponents not only by ring out, but by depleting their life, or "J-Soul", or by inflicting the Judgement status. Genroh's FAQ can elaborate on that.

2. When is this coming out in English?

Never. However I hear that you can play an english patch on some kind of "toaster" but you'd have to search for "jus translation weukeukeu" on google for more information on that.

3. What? Why isn't this coming out in English?

Licensing issues. In Japan, all the manga are owned by Shonen Jump; but in America, they're spread out. For example, Bleach games come from Sega, while Dragon Ball games come from Atari. The main point is that it would be far too troublesome to get the permission to use the characters from so many manga just for this one game.

4. Do I need to know Japanese to play this?

No. Genroh's FAQ should be able to guide you through the game with little to no trouble. Although it is nice being able to read Katakana so you can find characters quickly without having to look at the pictures ^_^

5. Is ____ in the game/how do I unlock ____?

Genroh's FAQ is the greatest guide/FAQ of all time; USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.
#2ninja1357(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2009 8:39:19 PMmessage detail
6. What are komas, and why can't I use my deck?

Koma is that Japanese word for frame, or panel. When people say something like Naruto 5 koma, they mean the Naruto that takes up 5 spaces in your deck.

To use a deck, it needs to meet certain requirements. It needs to have at least 1 Help, Support, and Battle koma, and you need to have assigned a leader. Help komas take up 1 space, and give certain effects like giving a character a third jump, or giving immunity to certain status effects.

Supports take up 2-3 spaces, and actually come out onto the field of battle when you use them. Using a support uses up 1 bar of SP (the bar under your J-Soul), and you can only have 1 support character out at once. Some supports may give you a positive status effect or heal you, while others may perform an attack then disappear.

Battle characters take up 4-8 spaces in your deck. These are the characters that you actually control and fight with. You need to unlock and evolve most battle characters before using them.

To assign a leader, press X when you're editing a deck. That should bring the top screen to the bottom. Pressing L or R will bring up a little screen with a circular button that says Leader. Select that, and put it on one of your battle characters. That character will get a small health boost, and will be the one that you start with, and use in Sudden Death.

7. Common acronyms

RO - Ring out. Knocking the opponent off the stage so he/she can't get back on. A pretty common term.

UA - Ultimate action. Performed by pressing/holding the Select button in battle. Certain UAs do stuff like slowly gain back SP, while others are mainly for laughs, like Tsuna's, where he ducks low to the ground quivering in fear. Although that can dodge high attacks...

FFA - Free for all. Just your basic, battle royale between 3 or 4 players.

SD - Sudden Death. If the match ends in a tie, SD will begin. Everyone who was tied will be put on a small platform with only their leader. They start with half their max health and no SP. It's just a basic fight to the death from there.

D/C or DC - Disconnect(ed). Getting kicked off wifi.

RU - Runner up. Generally the second best with the stated character.

CB - Combo breaking. Basically using a support while you're getting hit to stop your opponent's attack.

YH - You host. Only zas says this.

EG - Edge guarding.

DBCG - Death By Crotch Grab. Bunny's own invention... Killing people with DIO's up+Y attack. Watch it in action and realize where the name comes from =3

8. Who are the Big 3 and why are they banned so much?

The Big 3 are Trunks, Sena, and Seiya 3 koma supports. They're considered overpowered, and very good at combo breaking.

Trunks and Seiya both come out and attack very quickly, and can be used even in the air. They deal a decent amount of damage, and are often seen on Random.

Sena can only be used on the ground, and deals no damage. So why is he overpowered? Like the others, he comes out very quickly, is very hard to destroy once he's running, comes out behind you (so there's very little chance of overshooting your target), drains 2 bars of SP, spins you around so your back is facing your opponent, and inflicts the Stop status, which has no immunity.
#3ninja1357(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2009 8:40:13 PMmessage detail
9. Random, hackers, gem farmers, and freeze D/C

If there's no one to play with here, you can always try random. The game searches for other players and tries to start a 4 man FFA. If it can't find 3 other people, it'll start with however many participants it can get.

However... the people on random tend to be... pretty lame. A majority of the time you'll face hackers or gem farmers on random.

Gem farmers form an unspoken pact with each other. "I don't attack you, you don't attack me." They basically stand around doing their UA until time expires. Then, they do the same thing during SD. And since they all survive, everyone gets a win on their record, and the gems that the first place finisher would get. Attacking anyone will generally lead to a 3 on 1 match.

Hackers, well, hack the game with an Action Replay or some other cheating device to gain unfair advantages such as a Help koma that gives infinite SP. That, when combined with DIO's Za Warudo special (AKA Time Stop), could create a match where you barely get the chance to move.

Freeze disconnecting is my weapon of choice against hackers. You'll notice that the screen turns black just before showing the screen with the winner. Turning off your DS at that black screen will cause the game to be stuck at the winner screen, meaning that the other players can't exit wifi normally, so they have to turn off their DS as well. This also means that they don't get a chance to save the win to their records ^_^

10. Is there a tier list for the characters?

No. We've all tried several times to make one but no one can agree on anything. Generally if you ask something like this people will call you a tier whore and/or tell you to use the characters you like. However we can all agree that Taikoubou and Dio are the best.

11. Clans

Clans are a relatively close-knit society where the players can practice with each other or just discuss things. Some may require a test to join, while others allow anyone in. As of the time I'm writing this though, all clans are dead and inactive and any attempt to start one's own clan ultimately fails.

12. What's all this Champ/RU stuff?

Tenza_Danexedas made a JUS website a while ago, and it had a part for people to compete for the right to call themselves the best with certain characters. Basically, the Champ is considered the best with that particular character, while the Runner-up is the second best. The in-depth rules are on that site. Currently nobody cares about this but if for some reason you do ask ninja about it and he'll set everything back up for awhile.

13. What's with all these phrase?

These are some non-acronym phrases commonly used on the board and their meaning.

Edgehog: Grabbing the edge of the stage to prevent another player from grabbing it thus falling to their doom. A term coined from Super Smash Brothers. This usually fails when tried as the person making their way back to the ledge can use an aerial move and cause the edge hogger to fall.

Edge guard: Preventing a player from coming back onto the stage by camping the edge and attacking them. A general tactic used to ring out opponents.

Tapguard:When you are guarding and the opponent is attacking you, you can press X repeatly to push them back. Has many applications such as pushing opponents off the edge which can lead to a ring out.

Gem Farmer:A term to describe how some people play on Random. They usually end up taunting all match and forming alliances with other players. Their main purpose is to obtain Gems so that they can unlock more komas.

Black Koma: A 1 paneled koma that's completely black. It is a hack that gives the player an infinite amount of SP.

John: "Nice CB"

QQ: What someone does after they lose and complain about how the other guy was playing.
#4ninja1357(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2009 8:41:13 PMmessage detail
14. I have a question but the board members are jerks :'(

Yeah that's the case with a lot of people. Usually you can solve your own question by checking Genroh's FAQ, NOT Mykas0's.

15. Why isn't L playable?

Asking this question usually means a very long tl;dr thread. Simply put: don't ask.

16. What the hell is this guy saying?

If you mean in the game, check Genroh's FAQ. If you mean on the board, it's a troll talking about some sort of old fad.

17. So when is a sequel being announced?

We don't know. Nobody knows. Jump's 40th anniversary was in 2008 but there has not been a single announcement. In my opinion they're waiting for this games sales to lower and will release after the next fiscal year.

/)/)
(0.0)
((")(")

Bunny's FAQ revised by ninja is complete3
---
ninja1357 is my hero he is the best and toughest on this board- bankai
This is a fight game, not a take it easy on me game.- TrancedDreams
#5ninja1357(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2009 8:43:15 PMmessage detail
request sticky guys :3 :3 :3 :3 :3
---
ninja1357 is my hero he is the best and toughest on this board- bankai
This is a fight game, not a take it easy on me game.- TrancedDreams
#6DragoonAngerPosted 1/4/2009 8:43:51 PMmessage detail
DBCG - Death By Crotch Grab. Bunny's own invention... Killing people with DIO's up+Y attack. Watch it in action and realize where the name comes from =3

(ono)
---
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/863/kenshiroqs6.gif
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6853/pd49bl1.jpg
#7fuzzylittlbunnyPosted 1/4/2009 8:50:03 PMmessage detail
Goody we have a new potential sticky and I don't need to do anymore work on it lol
---
How can you disappoint one who has no expectations? Sakurai's mind is clearly far above our level of thinking. - DragonBlade
#8GooderDSPosted 1/4/2009 9:43:07 PMmessage detail
requested
---
J!US NEW! FC: 2020-2569-0268
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/emeraldsalamance/GooderDS.jpg
#9GooderDSPosted 1/4/2009 9:45:44 PMmessage detail
Wait, isnt Tapguard tap v to get a stronger guard?
---
J!US NEW! FC: 2020-2569-0268
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/emeraldsalamance/GooderDS.jpg
#10EternallyPokeyPosted 1/4/2009 9:46:41 PMmessage detail

GooderDS
Wait, isnt Tapguard tap v to get a stronger guard?

Yep, the pushing back one is called push blocking.
---
"Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in me, who believes in you!" Kamina, TTGL