The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Meaning of "Sora no Kiseki"

#1MartzePosted 3/22/2011 1:49:13 PM
I believe I heard somewhere that "Trails in the Sky" is only one of several possible interpretations of the title "Sora no Kiseki." What are the others?

Also, who do "Zero no Kiseki" and "Ao no Kiseki" mean?
---
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
-Douglas Adams
#2WyrdwadPosted 3/22/2011 2:01:12 PM
The "Kiseki" part is the same in all three titles, and despite being a homonym for "miracle," this particular "kiseki" essentially means "the set of all points between A and B" (or the "locus" of A and B, if you're into math).

So "sora no kiseki" = "(kiseki) of/in the sky", "zero no kiseki" = "(kiseki) of/in zero/nothingness", and "ao no kiseki" = "(kiseki) of/in blue".

"Trails in the Sky" was one of many possible ways to interpret the title "Sora no Kiseki," and the reason there are multiple interpretations is simply because there... really isn't a good way of conveying this title in English without making it really long. "The set of all points between two locations... in the sky" is pretty much what you get, if you go literal. (:

Although there's no official English title from Falcom for any of these games, "Trails in the Sky" is Falcom-approved for Sora no Kiseki, and fans seem to have latched on to "Zero Trajectory" for Zero no Kiseki. As for Ao no Kiseki... Trails of Blue? Trails in Blue? Blue Depths, maybe? Since no one knows how the title relates to the plot just yet, it's all just guesswork at this point. But literally, it's something like... "the set of all points between two locations... in blue." (:
#3KouliPosted 3/22/2011 2:02:15 PM
'no' is just conjunction

Sora means Sky
Kiseki means locus, trails
Zero means Zero
Ao means Blue (but I am pretty sure they going for a double meaning with that kanji, so means Green as well)

Trails in the Sky/Zero/Blue/Green...etc
---
Next: FF4 Complete, Persona 2 Tsumi, The Last Promise Story
http://www.youtube.com/SnKouli
#4tarenwandererPosted 3/22/2011 2:18:34 PM
A part of me wonders if Kiseki can mean something along the lines of "journeys".
---
When angry count four; when very angry, swear. - Mark Twain
~ The Planeswalker ~ The Lament of the Lost and Forgotten
#5WyrdwadPosted 3/22/2011 2:20:53 PM
Metaphorically, I think that's EXACTLY what it means. It's the set of all occurrences between the start of the game and the end of the game -- meaning, all the journies that take place in between.
#6miyuki308Posted 3/22/2011 2:52:36 PM
When you use "kiseki" in a way that it describes the person's history, yes, it can be used to as that person's "journey" or the "tracks" he/she/them left behind. The second meaning here, basically:

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/je2/16140/m0u/%E8%BB%8C%E8%B7%A1/
---
Playing: Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, Project DIVA 2nd
Anticipating: Steins;Gate PSP, Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki, Lime Odyssey, new Project DIVA game
#7Martze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2011 3:01:55 PM
Thanks for your answers, everyone.

The "Zero" in ZnK's title seems a bit Engrishy to me. It strikes me as one of those English-to-Japanese loanwords that subtly or completely change meaning, such as "style," because I can't make sense of "Locus of Zero." My best guess is something like "Trails in the Void," but I haven't played any of the games, so I don't know if that title is at all appropriate. Can anyone shed some light on the matter without spoiling anything for me?
---
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
-Douglas Adams
#8WyrdwadPosted 3/22/2011 3:07:14 PM
Despite "zero" being borrowed from English, it's actually written in kanji -- the kanji used is generally pronounced "rei," and essentially does just mean "zero" or "nothing." So "Trails in the Void" would indeed be a viable interpretation of it.
#9KouliPosted 3/22/2011 3:09:27 PM
The reason is why they dropped '7' (it was Legend of Heroes 7) cuz they welcome newcomers to start from 'Zero'. They didn't want the dependency of previous games (though the game does use SnK trilogy's world and setting) hence any new RPG fans can just start with ZnK without the needs of SnK games.

Zero means the beginning, the beginning story, that's also why when the game ends,

possible spoilers

it says 'to be continued, the destination story'.
---
Next: FF4 Complete, Persona 2 Tsumi, The Last Promise Story
http://www.youtube.com/SnKouli
#10ArtavasdusPosted 3/23/2011 9:47:34 PM
Trails in the Void and Trails into Nothingness would make for really awesome title material.
---
Trails in the Sky, another great PSP JRPG by Falcom, is coming to the USA the 29th of March - check it out!