Att gaurd

#1LiteMatterPosted 3/3/2012 9:04:56 PM
Most likely a noob question. Why does it happen or what causes it? I've hit enemies and it does zero damage then I hit them again and everything's normal. Is it the enemy guarding against an attack or do they become immune at some point?
#2randomweirdoPosted 3/3/2012 9:47:50 PM
Basically it means they cannot be damaged by that type of attack or if they can, it's for a very tiny amount of damage, like 1 HP. Basically means you want to use an art of a different element.

I can't find a good screencap of it, but go look in the bracer notebook under "Elementals"

Basically it shows there the elemental effectiveness. If that number is 100, it does normal damage. If it is 200 it does double damage. If it is 50 it does half.

But every now and then you'll see a monster that has nothing in there. That means they cannot be damaged by that particular element and then you will see "Att guard" If you see no value in there, don't use that element because they cannot be damaged by it at all. The Att guard is just another way to let you know, hey don't use that element in case you missed it.

This also can happen with some crafts that allow for arts to be blocked entirely. I don't think FC has any of these though if I am recalling offhand, however. I think it also may occur in cases where a monster doesn't get damaged by physical attacks, but doesn't reflect the damage back as well, but again, don't think this applies in FC.
#3LiteMatter(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2012 10:10:54 PM
Ah ok, thx.
#4tarenwandererPosted 3/4/2012 6:37:18 AM
Doesn't At Guard also pop up if they've used Earth Shield, which causes the very next attack to be completely negated?
---
We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking. - Mark Twain
~ The Planeswalker ~ Delusion of Stability
#5randomweirdoPosted 3/4/2012 7:54:14 AM
tarenwanderer posted...
Doesn't At Guard also pop up if they've used Earth Shield, which causes the very next attack to be completely negated?

Actually, that's just "Guard" in white letters and then the little icon over the head of the character or enemy vanishes unless it's one of those rare cases where it negates two attacks and then the icon vanishes after the second attack. After it is used it says "Max Guard"

And then there's also "Resist" which means your attack caused a status effect the enemy is immune to.
#6tarenwandererPosted 3/4/2012 10:40:03 AM
Ah, I see.
---
We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking. - Mark Twain
~ The Planeswalker ~ Delusion of Stability
#7VeghEstherPosted 3/4/2012 5:54:24 PM
Attack guard = elemental immunity/resist so the enemies will either take half damage from that spell or no damage at all.

Resist is if that negative status ailment can effect the said monster/ally.

Max Guard effect = take no damage for 1 hit.

Rare but in the final boss battle of this chapter theirs Craft Guard effect (Crafts/S crafts) deal no damage and also Artes guard (spells deal no damage) both are temporary.