My Gagharv Trilogy Playthrough - SPOILER FOR ALL LOH TITLES

#461helldewPosted 6/17/2013 9:29:03 AM
MonkeySeraph posted...
I'm heading to the old quarry to show the Swing Gang that they don't mean a thing.

Also I suspect I will end up rating the Trilogy the same way you do.

yeah game gets a fair bit more interesting from that point onwards. honestly the parts before that were kinda eh. i wont lie that game takes some perseverance to get through.

overall though the second half of the game more then makes up for it IMO when the second battle theme starts playing everything becomes more intresting. and by the time the third one starts the game turns from good to amazing.

overall my opinion of the trilogy is

I also really loved TOV. i found TOV had some seriouly boring parts but i really like the variety the game offered the mix of exploration dialoge and combat the pacing was intresting and the cast was really likeable. I really like the art diretion on this one more then the other two as well plus the music was easily the best. the battle themes were amazing overworld themes amazing many of the town themes were fantastic. my biggest complaint is how stupidly slow the game is and the combat was super meh plus the last boss was laughably sad.

one thing i can say though is after playing the gagharv trilogy it makes trails in the sky feel so empty and incomplete is kinda ridiculous.Trails literally feels like the first half of Tear of vermillion with a lot more meat to it.
POTMW i found to be the most boring. it had the best ending by a landslide and i feel like if i replayed it i would like it a ton more after SOTO but playing it the first time i found it really just boring. i really didnt enjoy the direction the game took in general i found the cast to be likeable but i never really loved them as much as the TOV cast and i found in many areas the music fell short compared to TOV plus the battles were stupidly easy and almost no fun what so ever (i hate POTMWs regular battle theme to and it never changes :/)

SOTO I really cant say if i liked to more then TOV or not but its damn close. One thing though i can say though is the cast in this game at least the main cast was a lot less over powered compared to TOV where Avin and mile were pretty beast. I actually liked that a fair bit more how the Mc Bain company was comprised of a Old man a little boy a little girl and a dog. I found difficulty wise this game was far more interesting and battles really start picking up in the second half of the game. Music wise to its awesome. I love this games overworld theme i didnt really like the first battle theme very much for the combat but the second one was great and third one was insane. I loved the cameo/integration with the other games and the story was really cool in this game in the second half. it kinda sucks the first half was kinda bleh but overall though the second half more then makes up for it

after playing the gagharv trilogy though it makes trails feel so incomplete. trails literally feels like the first half of tear of vermillion with more meat. overall though if you want a LOH fix the gagharv trilogy worked for me plus im not like going as insane mentally for SC any more either lol. it really filled that itch.

and i have to say it at least one Nayuta no Kiseki bloody awesome game :p everyone should play it japanese speaking or not.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#462rucchipunch(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 11:13:45 AM
Elaborating my statement on my previous post:
The last few chapters of SotO are basically long strings of "oh crap we forgot to elaborate these PotMW plot points so let's create walls of expositions and random quirks to explain them!". At least if you want to explain things, do it step by step, dangit. And don't forget to stay consistent with your previous works, too.

Seconding the AToV cast being very likable, though. They have a perfect balance of one-dimensional, fleshed-out, and in-between.

Also, what do you think happened to Rouca post-SotO, should the "Captain Thomas" book be real? Saved by Michel in the last minute, teleported back to El Phildin, and died peacefully there? Or died drowning and made Rutice hates Thomas so much?
---
- Official Driselle Sharil of every Tales of boards -
Craving...for...money...
#463King_RevisPosted 6/17/2013 11:16:17 AM
I kind of want to make a video review of the Gagharv Trilogy as a whole once I finish my let's play of Song of the Ocean.

Also, I know that this will NEVER happen, but I want to see Gagharv revisited in a later Kiseki game (Would Gagharv even fit anywhere in the same setting as the Sora, Ao, Zero, and [Insert whatever the last one is called, Flash, but whatever it is in Japanese] setting?). I do not think that the characters from the Gagharv Trilogy would have to be acknowledged aside from a few NPCs from their home villages mentioning them or something
---
There is nothing wrong with a man liking yaoi except with everything that is wrong with it, and there is nothing wrong with it!
#464GurudaPosted 6/17/2013 6:24:39 PM
Trails literally feels like the first half of Tear of vermillion with a lot more meat to it.

And then every other game in the Kiseki series is basically the second half of AToV, with a lot more meat to it. ;-)

Also, what do you think happened to Rouca post-SotO, should the "Captain Thomas" book be real?

I'm assuming the story was slightly distorted because nobody really knows what happened (ie, that the main characters wound up retiring and running a charity service in a totally different land) but since we don't know what people in Weltluna and El Phildin think happened it's hard to say. My guess is that some of their respective crews came with them, got drunk and started bragging about how awesome their captains were in front of an impressionable author.

Either that or we fall back on our favorite explanation for everything: Michel Did It.

Also, I know that this will NEVER happen, but I want to see Gagharv revisited in a later Kiseki game

It might happen and I certainly would like to see it. We've already got a painting of the Gagharv and direct mention of Weltluna, albeit in the recycled Doll Knight books rather than a reference to a 'real' place.

(Would Gagharv even fit anywhere in the same setting as the Sora, Ao, Zero, and [Insert whatever the last one is called, Flash, but whatever it is in Japanese] setting?).

There's no particular reason it couldn't. All the Kiseki games take place on one continent and that continent has spent most of the past thousand years recovering from the Great Collapse so I doubt that sending ships across the seas to find new lands was on anyone's list of priorities. Airships are (relatively) new and we know Zemuria itself has some pretty remote areas even in the present so it's quite possible that there are other continents out there that nobody knows about.

The issue of magic, gods and other Gagharv-y things isn't really a problem either. We know there are religions other than the Septian Church on Zemuria and non-Orbal 'magic' exists in at least a limited form so there's nothing there that would prevent the settings from coexisting.

Now, the timing issue could be another matter. I figure if they do directly connect the series we'll find that Kiseki takes place a sufficiently long time after Gagharv that none of the original characters are alive so the only way we'll hear about them is through NPCs or books. Of course, with the exception of that one guy who's still around because he's Michel.
#465King_RevisPosted 6/18/2013 9:20:57 AM
rucchipunch posted...
Also, what do you think happened to Rouca post-SotO, should the "Captain Thomas" book be real? Saved by Michel in the last minute, teleported back to El Phildin, and died peacefully there? Or died drowning and made Rutice hates Thomas so much?

Thomas survived, I cannot see why Rouca or anyone else would not have. Here is my hypothesis of the events after the ships sank:

Something, somthing, something. Thomas knew about witches and was probably fighting Ramon in the Witch's Inland Sea. So he tried to go to the portal or something to get to Another World. Ramon, his crew, and Captain Thomas' crew followed him because Thomas said so. They eventually reached the point of access to Another World and were now safe.

(Warning, I have mostly forgotten some of the plot points of Song of the Ocean, so here is where my hypothesis loses some merit)

So we know that Another World is connected to Weltuna (From somewhere that I cannot remember) and Tirasweel (From the Witch's Inland Sea). I am unsure about El Phildin because there were never any confirmed facts about Witches in El Phildin. But after being in Another World, Thomas and Ramon decided on a Truce and decided to spend their retirement in the continent of Tirasweel (Which is basically the countryside because seriously, 56 years AFTER Tear of Vermillion and they do not even have weird computer-ey things like in Guia? I know that Michel set up Oldos, but that is all? I know Michel is a huge troll [Not doing anything about the Wave of Ruaul even though he knows that he has only delayed the inevitable, knowing about Another World yet not trying to pacify them because of the Dark Sun, etc.] but COME ONE!) while everyone else went back home. Rouca then had to live with (headcanon) Avin , his two wives Rutice and Archem, and their children.

Also, Guruda, if you can, can you check if Archem really does end up with the Guadrian of the Wind Shrine (I forget his name)? Because in the PSP version, he says something and she blushes. After playing many JRPs, that is usually the sign of "they end up together", but I have nothing to confirm it.
---
There is nothing wrong with a man liking yaoi except with everything that is wrong with it, and there is nothing wrong with it!
#466King_RevisPosted 6/21/2013 8:36:50 AM
Guruda posted...
Now, the timing issue could be another matter. I figure if they do directly connect the series we'll find that Kiseki takes place a sufficiently long time after Gagharv that none of the original characters are alive so the only way we'll hear about them is through NPCs or books. Of course, with the exception of that one guy who's still around because he's Michel.

Something tells me that of the Gagharv Trilogy characters are mentioned in books...
Tear of Vermillion: Quick Raven/Captain Thomas/Sapphire Sapphie/Swordmaster^1
Song of the Ocean: Something new/Doll Knight^2/Fred^2
Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch: Something new

^1Note: I have not read these books because I missed them in my let's play because I am dumb and should have used a guide, as such, I do not know what they are about.
^2Note: I will read these at the end of my Song of the Ocean let's play.

I can imagine Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch being told as a fairy tale more than anything.
---
#467helldewPosted 6/21/2013 9:59:04 AM
Weltuna was connected to the other world from that middle triangle jail island place on the left side of the games world map. cant remember the name exactly but i remember the spot clear as day on the map.

also random note i started Gurumin bought it digitally so i could play it on the vita (which i also got in preperation for Ys as a birthday present of sorts). Parin has the most ridiculous lines in that game i love it. shes such a little brat but its funny. then again most of the NPC are hopeless lol. Admittly i didnt find it terribly fun at first either. i found the dungeons off the start felt to empty and to much stuff to destory and not enough enemies luckly though it gets far more intresting as it progresses. that part in the mines where you insert money and fight enemies that get progressively harder was pretty fun.

also for rank should i be destroying everything? or just pots and enemies? is there much fo a reason to go for S+ or is S fine? most of my levels so far have been S due to time mainly (im exploring every nook and cranny cause this game hides stuff)
---
#468MonkeySeraphPosted 6/28/2013 10:27:41 PM
Alright I'm done reading A feast for crows now I will finally finish Song of the ocean.
---
Hero of the Mad King war.
#469rucchipunch(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2013 3:39:42 AM
Now that I've finished Ao (yay), the final battle and some parts of the ending give me serious AToV vibes.
Bellias was Ian-sensei and Mariab***h combined; sympathetic goals, but being b***h all the way through. But Bellias actually transformed into a monster AND actually died. Unlike every Crossbell villains not named Joachim (Wald and Ernest transformed, but not died. So they didn't count).
Both Bellias and Mariab***h forced our MacGuffin girls to become one with final boss, or in KeA=Zero's case, become the final boss itself. The difference is, Eimelle was unconscious when she was absorbed, while KeA=Zero was conscious when Mariab***h forced her to become Demiurge.
Oh and both final bosses have annoying minions, I suppose. Dem revives and Max Guard+Reflect.
The main characters jumped to a portal leading to some kind of void world to save their beloved friend/"daughter". In their way, they met their dead relatives, and had a chat with them.
But unlike Avin and Mile, Lloyd and KeA got away from World of Ain through what remains of KeA's power (I think?).
And in the end, the main characters fought to make their region stands on its own, albeit off-screen (Crossbell to become an independent country, El Phildin to become independent from the Gods).

My only complaint for Ao's story is that nobody dies. Absolutely nobody. At least in Zero Joachim died. And no, the pre-time loop SSS didn't count. Also, Illya and Fran should have died (or at least went comatose or disabled for the rest of game) to make Rixia and Noel's sufferings made more sense. Sigmund and Ian-sensei too. I was surprised when they said Ian-sensei survived Mariab***h's attack.

Also, I've said it before, but Ao's distant ending is a bit like SotO's Kavaro Invasion. I'm curious about how the Crossbell Liberation went on. Probably Rixia accidentally swung that lamp and knocked the whole audience...?

---
- Official Driselle Sharil of every Tales of boards -
Craving...for...money...
#470helldewPosted 6/30/2013 6:58:51 AM
well random progress report.

Gurumin just finished a handful of more levels all i have to say is LOL @ the moles. im likeing this game so far but i feel like the combat is definintly out shadowed/a fair bit clunkier and slower paced then Ys or nayuta. I know its unfair as heck to compare them though considering Gurumins and that it is going for something different.

speaking of Nayuta i started up the second playthrough on infinity. I beat the first season no problem and was like ok this is neat. then all a sudden i unlock the astro lab stuff which looked like it not only broke my level cap from being stuck at 50 it also gave me a crap ton more other things to do like all the other seasons + the new previously unplayable seasons (although its kinda brutal that everyone 2HKOs in that place XD).

is there a list around that lists what the astro lab does? also should i be conserving the points? i have like over 2K right now but im guessing there's gonna be a lot more stuff to unlock as the game progresses.
---