Please tell me the localization done for this game is much better than....

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
  3. Please tell me the localization done for this game is much better than....
3 years ago#1
Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Don't get me wrong. It's an AMAZING game, but the localization is just TERRIBLE. The dialogue is awful, trite and bland, and the voice acting is cringe-worthy other than Elena.

Please... does this game have better dialogue and localization than Oath in Felghana? Because it could be a dealbreaker.
---
Anticipating: Phantasy Star Online 2, FF Versus XIII, FF Type-0, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy XV
3 years ago#2
Your standards for localizations must be insanely, unreachably high, because from what I remember, Felghana's localization was perfectly fine. Both the dialogue and the voice acting. Except for Margeret, who's voice was noticeably forced and bad.

This game's localization is also good. There's no voice acting besides the grunts and one liners in battle though.

If you want a localization that is legitimately bad, you should go play the Gagharv trilogy.
---
http://i.imgur.com/JljG9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wFLPz.jpg
3 years ago#3
So tell me, are you able to read Japanese and can honestly compare both and say without a doubt that the Japanese was not the same?

Ys dialogue tends to be like that. It's only point is to tell you what to do next so you can move on to the rest of the gameplay.

Or as mentioned above, maybe your standards for localization are just too high to reach, and if that is the case, then perhaps you should be learning Japanese and playing imported copies instead.
3 years ago#4
When I read the topic title I thought he was gonna say the Ghargav triology.

I can understand the gripe with the voice acting since people can be picky about that. But the dialogue? Kinda hard to believe that you hated that...
3 years ago#5
Me too. Especially since it felt like about half the topics after this game was announced for localization consisted of some variation on the theme of 'Is this better than those other Legend of Heroes games because they kinda sucked'.

Man TC, why do you gotta go crush my walls like that?
3 years ago#6
Yeah, I was definitely in the 'Good Dialogue, Meh Voice Acting' category. Subjectivity and all that.
---
We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking. - Mark Twain
~ The Planeswalker ~ Delusion of Stability
3 years ago#7
I've only played Felghana in Japanese, but the Ys games are not known for having thrilling, original plots. The dialogue is pretty trite in the original too.
3 years ago#8
PrimePikachu posted...
Except for Margeret, who's voice was noticeably forced and bad.

But that was the best part of the game aside from some of the music! We all need a good laugh every once in a while...and voice acting with extra cheese fits the bill, I'd say.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
3 years ago#9
randomweirdo posted...
So tell me, are you able to read Japanese and can honestly compare both and say without a doubt that the Japanese was not the same?

This will go off topic but I never understood why some like the Japanese acting and voices better. A lot of them suck and are filled with over acting, with four possible voice types for males and females. All of them. Voiced. The same. *******. Way. Unless you're someone like Maaya Sakamoto (Who I still think falls into the above sometimes) or Norio Wakamoto. I hardly find an english dub inferior to the Japanese version for the above reasons alone.
---
I am 32, thank you. I think Capcom hacked my email address. - Megax11
Most of what I say is probably MY OPINION, so get the **** over it.
3 years ago#10
-BrokenSpiral- posted...
randomweirdo posted...

This will go off topic but I never understood why some like the Japanese acting and voices better. A lot of them suck and are filled with over acting, with four possible voice types for males and females. All of them. Voiced. The same. *******. Way. Unless you're someone like Maaya Sakamoto (Who I still think falls into the above sometimes) or Norio Wakamoto. I hardly find an english dub inferior to the Japanese version for the above reasons alone.

I was speaking more of the actual dialogue itself since even the best voice actors can only do so much if the script itself isn't that great. But the worst can also ruin a very good script as well.

Seems kern verified that the Japanese is about the same as far as the dialogue goes. I also asked a friend who has played both versions and she said the English actually felt more natural and the Japanese felt stilted in the case of Oath. But really, dialogue and story isn't what Ys focuses on, it's gameplay and music. The story just serves the purpose of leading to the gameplay and is decent, but not stellar. Basically it gets the job done. If someone wants good dialogue, then Trails is the better one to be looking at and XSEED did a great job with it.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
  3. Please tell me the localization done for this game is much better than....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived