Opinions on the other Legend of Heroes games for PSP

#121_21Posted 7/11/2012 12:53:16 PM
I'm probably aware that they're not as great as Trails in the Sky, but are they good on their own? I'm considering giving them a try while I wait for the rest of the trilogy of Trails....
---
Currently playing:
Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Saisei-Hen, Radiant Historia, and Mega Man ZX
#2zinformantPosted 7/11/2012 1:00:41 PM(edited)
Personally, I have the Witch one and haven't found a reason to get into it yet. That said, word on the street is that the localizations are notoriously bad. From the Vermillion one, credit rucchipunch:
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af124/Irueru/Gambar2%20aneh/LOL.jpg

EDIT: Go ZX Advent over this any day.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#321_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 1:01:42 PM
Holy crap. The script looks like it's on the whole other side of the spectrum away from Trails' script......I'm not sure if I even want to try these games anymore....
---
Currently playing:
#421_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 1:02:27 PM
I'm almost done playing ZX! Is Advent better!?
---
Currently playing:
#5zinformantPosted 7/11/2012 1:28:40 PM
21_21 posted...
I'm almost done playing ZX! Is Advent better!?

Ehh, I dunno (take this all with a grain of salt because I've only played these games twice, and that was some time ago). Both kind of fade into obscurity in the shadow of Star Force and Zero, in my opinion, but I enjoyed both. Advent is different in that you take the form of the bosses (and have to listen to them while you do so...voice acting was ugh) you defeat in addition to the different Megamen. It would have been better if the bosses were designed more like those in Zero, but they are a little obtuse. I do like the stages better, though. Area H and the like annoyed me.
The best of Advent was the last stage. I really enjoyed it. The design, the art direction, the music...for anyone who doesn't intend to play the game or who wants to take a trip down memory lane if you have, check out a little segment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zho_yq9sV7Y#t=2m0s
...I need to play this again.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#621_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 1:47:31 PM
Well I do agree with you in that ZX isn't as good as Zero series, but I still love the game. I'll try out ZX Advent soon and see what I think of it.
---
Currently playing:
#7helldewPosted 7/11/2012 2:25:58 PM
ZXA is IMO more fun the first time through then the first ZX but replaying it its kinda meh to replay. the first ZX on the other hand is the opposite its far better to replay. also hard mode on both games is worth going through ZXAs hard mode will kick your sorry ass if you dont abuse a certain cheap ability.

IMO they are worse then the zero games but still pretty damn good. ZXA also fixed the annoying as hell map problems from the first (no more getting lost)
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#821_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 4:04:53 PM
Eh, I never really depended on the map in ZX. It's surprising because I never got lost in that game. I always managed to end up in the right places at the right time. Of course the map still sucks, though, but ZX really is a good game nonetheless.
---
Currently playing:
#9rucchipunchPosted 7/11/2012 6:12:13 PM(edited)
Ehem. As a renowned Gagharv Trilogy fangirl, I beg to differ.

Although the translation is bad, they're still enjoyable. You can still understand what's going on, or even facepalming at the translation errors you encountered.

I'm now still at the beginning of SotO, but I'm aware of the overall story. There are only two plot-holes I encountered, but it can be covered by "it's a magic!" excuse. Especially since the people involved are powerful sorcerers. It's about Gueld's age (which can be excused as magic-reducing spell), and Thomas' overall life in Tirasweel (which is only important for a fangirl like me...).

What can I say about the story is: expect Trails-like foreshadowings and twists, especially from AToV. One type of foreshadowing that Trails loves so much, which is "portraits for everyone with some sort of plot importances!", originated(?)* from here.

Short summaries for these three games:
AToV - takes place in AG 936. A yandere siscon guy and his effeminate BFF are traveling across El Phildin to find his little sister who is a reincarnation of the keeper of hell. But they must join the Adventurer Guild first, and help the people in need along the way, but sadly there's no Guild subquests. Expect intense Ho Yay and Incest subtexts, but ultimately an angsty girl takes his heart.
PotMW - takes place in AG 992. Two pre-pubescent teens are doing their coming-of-age custom by traveling across Tirasweel when they heard about a girl called Moonlight Witch who preached about the return of world's destruction 20 years ago. Bandits are involved. And IMO is the funniest of the trilogy.
SotO - takes place in AG 943. An aspiring kitara artist forms a band with his fangirl (a piccolo player), his grandpa (a hand harp player), and his dog (the mascot) and traveling across Weltluna in order to find and compose the Water Melody, which was used to prevent the world's destruction mentioned above. Concerts are must-do, and pirates are massively involved.

Also, there's so much things that will be referenced in Trails series. And I found it amusing, even the ones that are too spoileriffic to tell.

Don't forget the vast amount of attractive characters, both personality-wise and look-wise. Like, most people I met who loves these games love Muse from AToV, who is pretty much a proto-Olivier. Arrogant, high self-pride, and loves to torture her guardian so much. Not to mention both are heirs to the kingdom who likes to escape from the castle.

The music....OH GOD THE MUSIC ARE GODLY. Especially the ones from SotO (well, it's about music).

And like Trails, there are book-collecting subquests that requires the player to TALK TO EVERYONE. AFTER. EVERY. SINGLE. PLOT. ADVANCEMENTS. Luckily, the books are enjoyable to read and the rewards are worth it.

Speaking of books, there are libraries in game and you can read them to know about not-so-important infos about the setting of the game.
And like Trails, the NPC has different things to say depending on when you talk to them.

And shameless promotion is shameless, but read this thread LOL:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/933329-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/63040844

*: the websites of original PC version of Gagharv Trilogy has artworks for every playable characters and some NPC, but they're not in the game themselves. The PSP ports adds them to the game.
---
If you think Ragnarok Online doesn't have an actual storyline, you're DEAD WRONG. - me
#1021_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2012 4:29:06 AM
rucchipunch posted...
Ehem. As a renowned Gagharv Trilogy fangirl, I beg to differ.

Although the translation is bad, they're still enjoyable. You can still understand what's going on, or even facepalming at the translation errors you encountered.

I'm now still at the beginning of SotO, but I'm aware of the overall story. There are only two plot-holes I encountered, but it can be covered by "it's a magic!" excuse. Especially since the people involved are powerful sorcerers. It's about Gueld's age (which can be excused as magic-reducing spell), and Thomas' overall life in Tirasweel (which is only important for a fangirl like me...).

What can I say about the story is: expect Trails-like foreshadowings and twists, especially from AToV. One type of foreshadowing that Trails loves so much, which is "portraits for everyone with some sort of plot importances!", originated(?)* from here.

Short summaries for these three games:
AToV - takes place in AG 936. A yandere siscon guy and his effeminate BFF are traveling across El Phildin to find his little sister who is a reincarnation of the keeper of hell. But they must join the Adventurer Guild first, and help the people in need along the way, but sadly there's no Guild subquests. Expect intense Ho Yay and Incest subtexts, but ultimately an angsty girl takes his heart.
PotMW - takes place in AG 992. Two pre-pubescent teens are doing their coming-of-age custom by traveling across Tirasweel when they heard about a girl called Moonlight Witch who preached about the return of world's destruction 20 years ago. Bandits are involved. And IMO is the funniest of the trilogy.
SotO - takes place in AG 943. An aspiring kitara artist forms a band with his fangirl (a piccolo player), his grandpa (a hand harp player), and his dog (the mascot) and traveling across Weltluna in order to find and compose the Water Melody, which was used to prevent the world's destruction mentioned above. Concerts are must-do, and pirates are massively involved.

Also, there's so much things that will be referenced in Trails series. And I found it amusing, even the ones that are too spoileriffic to tell.

Don't forget the vast amount of attractive characters, both personality-wise and look-wise. Like, most people I met who loves these games love Muse from AToV, who is pretty much a proto-Olivier. Arrogant, high self-pride, and loves to torture her guardian so much. Not to mention both are heirs to the kingdom who likes to escape from the castle.

The music....OH GOD THE MUSIC ARE GODLY. Especially the ones from SotO (well, it's about music).

And like Trails, there are book-collecting subquests that requires the player to TALK TO EVERYONE. AFTER. EVERY. SINGLE. PLOT. ADVANCEMENTS. Luckily, the books are enjoyable to read and the rewards are worth it.

Speaking of books, there are libraries in game and you can read them to know about not-so-important infos about the setting of the game.
And like Trails, the NPC has different things to say depending on when you talk to them.

And shameless promotion is shameless, but read this thread LOL:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/933329-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/63040844

*: the websites of original PC version of Gagharv Trilogy has artworks for every playable characters and some NPC, but they're not in the game themselves. The PSP ports adds them to the game.

I guess I'll give the series a try. I'll tolerate the bad script if the stories are really good.
---
Currently playing: