*SPOILERS (possibly SC as well)* Joshua's...

#1The_Lost_SabrePosted 7/11/2012 3:30:27 PM(edited)
Okay, a long time ago before I even knew about the series in detail (around 2007) I came across a gameplay video of SC where Joshua was fighting Muller. Of course, because of my lack of Japanese knowledge, I knew nothing of what's going on. What I did noticed is Joshua's eyes. They lack any sort of reflection (a sign in anime/manga in general that something is very wrong with them) and I became curious as what it could mean. I lost interest though since I couldn't understand anything.

Fast forward to now, I now know that it's the result of Joshua's horrid past that left him broken. Joshua's S-Craft kept me reminded throughout the game that there's still something very wrong with him. Joshua's admittance that he has a broken heart (way back in Chapter 1) did little to sate my curiosity. What I noticed in FC is that Joshua's portrait doesn't have any sign of empty eye (except a select few).

The ending of FC reminded me of that old gameplay and now I'm very curious as to why SC started to make that part of Joshua prominent to players (I would guess Joshua has many portrait of his eyes looking blank). And if I can guess how long it would take for Estelle to reunite with Joshua (FC is already pretty long, SC is even bigger), it would mean that Joshua is like that for the great majority of SC.

What I want to know is did Joshua remembered something else that made him look worse than he already is in FC? I don't mind being spoiled. Regardless if I knew or not, I know that Estelle reuniting with Joshua won't be any less fulfilling for me.
---
"Heheheh..."
"Being dark just puts a greater demand on intellectual maturity -- you have to be smart for it to work." ~ Crono Maniac
#2rucchipunchPosted 7/11/2012 9:07:02 PM
Joshua. Remembers. Everything. Including his time as Ouroboros' Enforcer and the tragedy in his hometown. In that tragedy, he lost his sister, his only family member left. And he keeps blaming himself because he can't protect her.

But he chose to keep them from everyone, especially from Estelle (remember someone said that Joshua likes keeping all the bad things onto himself). He also wants to get the second chance of a happier life by living with Bright family.

And then Weissmann comes around....

As for why his eyes are like that? It's how one can tell Joshua is in his "assassin" persona, or that he's pissed off. But luckily, he can accept his conditions with the help of Estelle and finally forgives himself.

That's what I remembered. Any Trails experts, please CMIIW.
---
If you think Ragnarok Online doesn't have an actual storyline, you're DEAD WRONG. - me
#3GurudaPosted 7/11/2012 9:08:35 PM
FC spoilers, no real SC ones:

It's hard to answer completely without spoiling things you really don't want me to spoil. Basically, nothing happens to him between parting from Estelle and the scene you saw that makes him any worse than he was at the end of this game. There are things Joshua didn't tell Estelle (it's obvious even from this game that he left things out) and some of what he didn't say and which you can't necessarily guess on your own explains the state he's in for most of the sequel. In short, the eyes are a reflection of both his mental state and the fact that he's recovered his former skills as the Black Fang.
#4randomweirdoPosted 7/11/2012 9:48:41 PM
rucchipunch posted...
Joshua. Remembers. Everything. Including his time as Ouroboros' Enforcer and the tragedy in his hometown. In that tragedy, he lost his sister, his only family member left. And he keeps blaming himself because he can't protect her.

But he chose to keep them from everyone, especially from Estelle (remember someone said that Joshua likes keeping all the bad things onto himself). He also wants to get the second chance of a happier life by living with Bright family.

And then Weissmann comes around....

As for why his eyes are like that? It's how one can tell Joshua is in his "assassin" persona, or that he's pissed off. But luckily, he can accept his conditions with the help of Estelle and finally forgives himself.

That's what I remembered. Any Trails experts, please CMIIW.

Actually, a few minor corrections. I did find confirmation somewhere that Joshua's parents were living at the time of the tragedy, they just aren't spoken of. But it still is true that he lost pretty much his whole family there and the death of his sister hit him the hardest because he personally witnessed that with all its horrors.

And after that was when he started doing the blank eyed thing. He definitely was like that when he was in a catatonic state until he joined Ouroboros.

As far as why the blank eyes? The game doesn't come out and say it, but the impression I got was that he does that when he has a need to turn off his emotions. It happens when he's troubled as well about a reminder of his past.
#5mizzy_dPosted 7/11/2012 10:03:42 PM
The_Lost_Sabre posted...
What I want to know is did Joshua remembered something else that made him look worse than he already is in FC? I don't mind being spoiled.

Nope, there's nothing happened other than the ones in FC. His eyes seem 'lifeless' in most of SC because of all the revelations at the end of FC and he regains his true self and skills. Only this time not as Black Fang again, but to settle things with Ouroboros, Weissmann in particular.

I noticed about his 'dead' eyes the first time I played SC, too. They have the reflection again just like in FC after reuniting with Estelle. (btw, this is one of my favorite scenes in SC)
#6The_Lost_Sabre(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2012 12:16:40 AM(edited)
Thanks a lot everyone. :]

I know that whenever SC does come to NA and other countries, the wait will be worth it. I'll never forgive Weissman for what he's done to Joshua. It's funny, these days it's really hard for me to feel hate, disgust even, for a RPG villain and I know taking him down will be all the more satisfying.

It's like Joshua said at the end, Estelle really is his sun that shines through his darkness. ;_;
---
"Heheheh..."
"Being dark just puts a greater demand on intellectual maturity -- you have to be smart for it to work." ~ Crono Maniac