I have to tell you, there's a lot of....hype? for Olivier. I honestly don't get it. I don't see what everyone else seems to see in him. --- My shortcomings piss me off, because nothing I do seems to correct them.
1) He's so outrageous that it's always entertaining to keep him around just to see what he'll do next.
2) Mueller would be no fun if it wasn't for Olivier giving him someone to get exasperated over.
3) The awesome three way interaction between him Kloe and Bleublanc in SC. Love love love beauty beauty beauty, boom!
4) In gameplay terms he's one of the best casters in the series while having a nice Craft setup and the ability to defend himself without getting in range of enemies who can smack him around physically.
5) Drunk antics with Schera and Aina.
6) Those moments when you realize that there's more to him than just comic antics.
He's a character I'll always have on my party, no matter what. Plus, he fun to have around! :3 --- "Heheheh..." "Being dark just puts a greater demand on intellectual maturity -- you have to be smart for it to work." ~ Crono Maniac
It's not just Estelle who berates Olivier, all 3 main characters do. Scherazard doesn't even tell the 2 younger students to cut it out. It's simply strange that they're calling him a pervert because he likes Joshua. One can argue that he was being called a pervert for other reasons, but it seemed pretty clear to me that he was being called a pervert because of his homosexual atrractions. Again, Estelle seems horrified that he's a boy who likes other boys. The other 2 main characters don't correct her and say that homosexuality is normal behaviour. In fact, nobody in that bar says anything. Yes, Estelle is a kid who has lived a sheltered life, but was it seriously necessary to have her berate a gay guy without any repurcussions? The older Scherazard couldn't have told Estelle to stop being a bigot? No, Scherazard for some reason has to agree that Olivier is a pevert and help 2 teenagers make fun of him. It's just such a bizarre scene to have in a modern day video game. It's something I would have expected in a game from the 80's maybe, not now.
I guess nobody thinks it's a big deal but as a gay person I found it pretty offensive. You'd think that Bracer training would include a section on discrimination and homophobia.
lol --- Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed. For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
Olivier's a fun, likeable character for all the reasons Guruda already gave. His interactions with the other characters never ceased to give me a good chuckle. --- http://i.imgur.com/JljG9.jpg http://i.imgur.com/wFLPz.jpg
He just seemed like a stereotypical fruity gay person to me, and I really dislike that character type.
It fits perfectly into the stupidity that most JRPGs have going on though....but it's one thing about Anime and JRPGs that I honestly don't care for. --- Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.