what order should i play the legend of heroes games?

#1sayianprince300Posted 9/29/2012 8:52:00 AM
*topic*
I started with this one first
---
Currently playing:Tales of destiny,tales of innocence and tales of vesperia
Brawl code-1805-9843-8146
#2narugami_kunPosted 9/29/2012 9:29:06 AM
The other Legend of Heroes games, published by Bandai, have nothing to do with this one. (I'm sure people will come in and tell you about easter eggs, but they are set in different worlds with different characters, rather like FF games.) Play them in chronological order: Trails in the Sky FC -> Trails in the Sky SC -> Trails in the Sky the 3rd -> Zero no Kiseki -> Ao no Kiseki

Right now XSEED is working on Trails in the Sky SC as far as we know.
#3sayianprince300(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2012 9:32:08 AM
what about
Prophecy of the Moonlight ,Witch A Tear of Vermillion ,Song of the Ocean
---
Currently playing:Tales of destiny,tales of innocence and tales of vesperia
Brawl code-1805-9843-8146
#4GurudaPosted 9/29/2012 9:33:02 AM
Unless you can read Japanese or Chinese you don't really have a choice with the Trails games. This is the first and currently only one in English and the series is meant to be played in order of release. For the other LoH games, they aren't directly linked to Trails (minus some hints that they inhabit the same world but nothing requiring you to play the Gagharv games first) so don't worry about that. For those games, just play Song of the Ocean last. It's best to play in the Japanese release order of Witch, Tear, Song but the order of the first two isn't as important.

Of course the earlier games have... issues. See below for some more info in Wyrd's comments or search for other topics o the previous trilogy.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/933329-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/60009116
#5zinformantPosted 9/29/2012 9:33:42 AM
You did it correctly starting here. If you are interested in more info, however...
Wyrdwad posted...
No, this game starts a whole new trilogy that tells an original story unrelated to the previous three games.

The series actually goes like this:

Connected:
- Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TG-16 CD)
- Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II (unreleased in English)

Gagharv Trilogy: Connected, but separate from the above games.
- Legend of Heroes III: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch (released in English as LoH2)
- Legend of Heroes IV: A Tear of Vermilion (released in English as LoH1)
- Legend of Heroes V: Song of the Ocean (released in English as LoH3)

Kiseki series: Connected, but separate from the above games.
- Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (a.k.a. Sora no Kiseki)
- Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki Second Chapter (as of yet unreleased in English)
- Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (as of yet unreleased in English)
- Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (as of yet unannounced for English release)
- Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki (upcoming Japanese release) *released 2011*
- Title in Development

There are some subtle nods to the Gagharv Trilogy later in the Kiseki series, leading many to believe that ultimately, they WILL all be connected in some way... but as of yet, the connections seem more like fanservice than anything else, like putting a character named Cid or a dragon named Bahamut in a Final Fantasy game.

---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#6rucchipunchPosted 9/29/2012 2:37:43 PM
Actually, Japanese players recommend this play order for Gagharv:

PotMW->AToV->SotO->PotMW again

That means after you completed the whole trilogy, go back to PotMW and enjoy the references to AToV and SotO.

But because AToV is stand-alone (a certain great sorcerer aside), you're welcome to use the NA release order and play AToV first instead. But make sure to play PotMW again after you've completed the whole trilogy.

As for Trails series, like Guruda said, your only hope is your knowledge of Japanese/Chinese(up to Zero, Ao yet to be released)/Korean(Sky trilogy only) language. For play order, play in release order.

Except Nayuta, because it's irrelevant to the Trails series, both in gameplay and story. Play it anytime you want. Preferably after playing the whole Gagharv trilogy, because there are so many references to the trilogy in Nayuta.
---
- Official Drossel K. Schall of every Tales of boards -
Falcom husbandos are the best husbandos~
#7helldewPosted 9/29/2012 10:44:52 PM
Yeah i wouldnt play the gagharv games personally. i might try playing them again but Tear of vermillion was pretty terrible. the flow of speech was bad i didnt really like the presentation to much either... and the combat system feels very very dry. out side of music i didnt really enjoy much and even the music is just worse then this game at least until later on. Trails in the sky is more consistant and very well done all around while those leave something to be desired. im surprised no one ever decided to do a rescript of the games or something like that touching up namcos shoddy job.

but i guess making the tools for an old PSP game proably wouldnt be the most practical thing to do and considereing the fanbase a retranslation doesnt seam likely at all. it would be sweet if Xseed bought the script and inserted it into the PC versions and touched those up. the battle system in those looked more intresting from what i gathered.

maybe im just clinging to some idealism but if the franchise did take off well enough i coudl see them easily picking up the other entries and releasing them .
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#8rucchipunchPosted 9/30/2012 4:46:41 AM
If you don't like PSP AToV's presentation, it's fine. But PSP SotO's? I'll hunt you down and shoot you with the cannons on my Gagharv husbando's ship. Because PSP SotO's gameplay is the closest of the three to match those of Trails series. It also has something that Crossbell games did it differently: benched party members being useful via swapping (for SotO) or Support Crafts (for Crossbell games)

Let's use my Gagharv thread for debating the story, 'kay? We're going too far OOTing here.
---
- Official Drossel K. Schall of every Tales of boards -
Falcom husbandos are the best husbandos~
#9helldewPosted 10/2/2012 3:02:05 PM
I admit i havent played much of the other 2 games yet because i was trying to follow them in order although it seams like dumb namco didnt even release them in the right order -__-. I cant say i was terribly fond of what i saw though. that said i cant really give a fair view of the other two as of yet.

Although from what your saying of SotO i might try giving it at least another shot.

But TOV was really really sad the game just feels botched. the dialog feels so dry combat isnt really fun the story progression suffers from tossing a billion names at you the actaul battle system is kinda bleh. maybe it progresses into something more but i was focing my self to play it before i said screw it.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.