Does it ever improve? *possible spoilers*

#1izayummikiwiPosted 2/2/2013 1:52:26 PM
I'm in Chapter 2, I believe. Kloe joined some time ago, and now I'm supposed to be helping with some play or something (I've been doing sidequests).

Honesty, I'm bored. The characters aren't anything exciting, and I don't like anybody. Most of the game seems to be made up of typical JRPG tropes, many of which I hate.

The only thing I've found impressive so far is the sheer amount of world-building. I get such a strong sense of almost every location I visit, and that's amazing. That said, the locations themselves aren't anything special, so...

Does it get any better? It's disappointing, because I really want to like this game...
#2randomweirdoPosted 2/2/2013 4:35:07 PM
Yes, you actually are nearly at the part where the plot picks up big time. People say "play until the play" for good reason. Right around that point, things pick up a lot and it then becomes hard to put down.
#3helldewPosted 2/2/2013 9:41:06 PM
One thing to note this game was made paired with its second game upon development which is why it takes a bit of time to really get going. i enjoyed the starting of it didnt love it but it was fun. but yeah your getting to the point where it picks up drastically if you dont care after that point then i dont know what else to say really.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#4gadgaurdPosted 2/2/2013 10:23:59 PM
If I were you I'd quit now. You already hate most of the story, apparently, and like none of the characters. So why force yourself? Of course, as far as events go, things are about to pick up. Hard.
---
Vesna esta holicia.
http://www.aq.com/aw-character.asp?id=Zarutan
#5izayummikiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:34:28 AM
I played until the end of Chapter 2. It is somewhat more exciting, but the game really isn't doing it for me. While it isn't a bad thing to make use of a large number of tropes, this game isn't doing anything interesting with said tropes. It seems like a standard JRPG story with more dialogue.

I wish the characters were more interesting, I suppose. There don't seem to be any mysteries involving the characters, and they're hardly surprising me at all. Where there are mysteries (as with Joshua), I can't be bothered to care--honestly, I couldn't care less about Joshua's past, because I find him uninteresting as a character.

I do like that the characters are growing in ever-so-slight and subtle ways. And as these characters change, others' perceptions are slowly changing as well. For instance, the clients aren't commenting as much on how young and inexperienced Estelle and Joshua are. I take that as a sign that they're becoming more composed and confident in themselves, and other people are taking note. This part of the characters is really well done.

Anyway, on one hand, if it won't improve much further maybe it would be better if I stopped now. On the other, though, it isn't as though I hate the game--it's a disappointing experience, not a bad one altogether. And I don't think I would have stuck with it for 25 hours thus far if I hated everything about it. I'd rather all of that playtime not go straight down the drain.

I've already played this far, so I think I might stick with it a little bit longer, it not to the very end.
#6shiro ashtaPosted 2/3/2013 11:26:42 AM
You might as well play till the end. I took a one-year hiatus from this game after finishing chapter 2 for pretty much the same reasons you had and only started playing the game again when I had nothing else to play. For me, it didn't start picking up until chapter 4 for me, IIRC.
---
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generations, Gundam Extreme Versus, Dota2
#7GurudaPosted 2/3/2013 11:40:03 AM
If you've invested that much time in the game and don't want to see it go to waste, you might as well keep playing to the end. It sounds like you haven't been grabbed yet like a lot of us have but if you like the world-building and the gradual character growth (whatever you think of the characters themselves) then there's a chance that if you stick around you'll get hooked. If nothing else, you'll at least see the payoff for everything you've gone through so far.

Like helldew said, this game is basically the first third of what was originally planned to be one massive title so a lot of things are set up here for payoff in SC. A lot of those JRPG tropes get played mostly straight here before they start getting creative with them in later games.

There don't seem to be any mysteries involving the characters, and they're hardly surprising me at all.

There are actually quite a few, it's just that some of them are subtle and the game is good at redirecting your attention. Some are less than subtle and it's not the mystery itself that is interesting but how the character deals with it. Anyhow, if you wind up changing your mind later, great. If not, well, at least we can hope you enjoyed some of the experience.
#8helldewPosted 2/7/2013 9:26:57 PM
Lol your kinda at the point where if you turned back i think it would suck a lot more then if you just finished it. im not saying rush through it but this game is pretty much like a exponential function where it just gets more interesting as it goes although it does die down a bit every chapter i find it helps more in the end.

And even if you dont like josh as a character you could at least enjoy the banter between him and others. that's one thing i really liked about the characters in this game is their general interactions.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#9KaiserJanusPosted 2/8/2013 7:45:24 PM
Wow brining Tropes to judge a game? I don't think they're meant to be used like that

Boy when they said "TV Tropes will Ruin your Life" it indeed does.
---
Seriously is the term "JRPG" taboo now in this generation? I feel like laughing, crying and vomitting at the same time.
#10DoctorCrabMDPosted 2/16/2013 1:27:46 AM
izayummikiwi posted...
I'm in Chapter 2, I believe. Kloe joined some time ago, and now I'm supposed to be helping with some play or something (I've been doing sidequests).

Honesty, I'm bored. The characters aren't anything exciting, and I don't like anybody. Most of the game seems to be made up of typical JRPG tropes, many of which I hate.

The only thing I've found impressive so far is the sheer amount of world-building. I get such a strong sense of almost every location I visit, and that's amazing. That said, the locations themselves aren't anything special, so...

Does it get any better? It's disappointing, because I really want to like this game...

Personally, I don't think it gets better.

I can't say that it's truly a bad game, but I definitely found it ridiculously boring for the most part. It's cool that the world is so vibrant, but there has to be an actual good "game" to go along with that.....