Max Tour - Impossible?

#1TerotrousPosted 11/25/2008 11:45:24 PM
This question actually pertains to the first game, but I think the Max Tour is effectively the same in both games.

The computer cars are flat out faster than you, they get random 50kmh speed boosts if you get close to them, and they have infinite nitro. Clearly, there's absolutely no way you can win racing normally, you just don't have any kind of edge over them.

I can only assume, then, that the method of victory must involve some kind of trick. From what I can see, it looks like the trick is to nitro in front of them, and then get amazingly lucky in having them repeatedly hit you from behind (using the rear view mirror obviously helps). By doing the race hundreds of times, the stars would eventually align and you'd get a lucky bump that gives you the race (I've come within a tenth of a second so far).

However, at this rate, it might be possible to win one race a week, and thus to fully complete the Max Tours you'd basically have to sink hundreds of hours into them and be extremely lucky.

Is there any other trick to doing this or is my analysis basically correct?
---
Brawl FC - 0301 9482 5952 MK FC - 2363 6025 1498 Puyo Puyo 15th FC - 5197 9464 1168
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat classic games!
#2arczero_xPosted 11/29/2008 9:46:30 PM
It might be correct...I haven't tried that one before though...

As for me, I think the trick is just to keep up with the other racers while saving your nitros up until the last lap, then use all of your nitros when you are near the finish line. That way, you can pass all of them without giving them a chance to abuse their infinite nitros.

That trick somehow works on a few tracks in Max Tour. It's still very hard to beat... =.=
---
What you are thinking right now...is my signature.
#3Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 12:16:49 PM
I watched a video, and I think they toned max tour down a little for the sequel. For example, it's now possible to pass opponents on straight ground without nitro. This is flat out impossible in Ridge Racer 1, the computer will spontaneously accelerate to catch up to you (often pulling off some very jerky moves in the process).

Similarly the nitrous trick doesn't really help, I've tried that, but if you save up nitros you'll usually be so far behind at the start of lap 3 that you need to use them to catch up, leaving you with at best 1 nitro to pass the last car, which won't be enough because he'll nitro, too.

I think the best method is to use nitro as needed to keep yourself in second place and pray you can somehow overtake the guy.

That being said, I don't think I'm going to attempt to pass the Max Tours, they're just too insane.
---
Brawl FC - 0301 9482 5952 MK FC - 2363 6025 1498 Puyo Puyo 15th FC - 5197 9464 1168
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat classic games!