To: darklao // Perfect Floor Score Map

#1VoluntasPosted 10/15/2008 9:49:14 AM
First of all, let me thank you for creating and providing such a detailed map for use with dungeon planning. Right now I have access to three floors, but only the top two are fully mapped using your guide (the third one I can't start because I ran out of + corridors T-T).

Second, I wanted to ask if there was a reason you omitted treasure rooms. Are they more trouble than they are worth or will they take away points from the maximum 200?

Third, I was wondering if skinning the corridors have any effect in regards to the monsters I will encounter. I know plain dirt will cause more animal type monsters to spawn, but those do not give gold bounties per kill, and for now the stone seems to cause more bandits and kobolds to spawn.

Finally, a random question about the Ghost/Spirit monster. Is there any easy way, other than wasting MP on a fire spell, to take these monsters out? When I go toe to toe with them, usually one of them from the group gets off a cloud ring attack and I take upwards to 25 dmg per hit. Not a major setback, but these monsters get annoying.

Thanks in advance.
#2darklaoPosted 10/15/2008 10:28:54 PM
Second, I wanted to ask if there was a reason you omitted treasure rooms. Are they more trouble than they are worth or will they take away points from the maximum 200?
They do take away from the floor score, but you can put them in anyway if you like.

Third, I was wondering if skinning the corridors have any effect in regards to the monsters I will encounter. I know plain dirt will cause more animal type monsters to spawn, but those do not give gold bounties per kill, and for now the stone seems to cause more bandits and kobolds to spawn.
Yeah, feel free to skin the corridors. One quest I forgot to account for on the map will require wooden floors anyway. But yeah, skinning the corridors will usually increase the floor score, so there's no problem putting them in to change the monsters.

Finally, a random question about the Ghost/Spirit monster. Is there any easy way, other than wasting MP on a fire spell, to take these monsters out? When I go toe to toe with them, usually one of them from the group gets off a cloud ring attack and I take upwards to 25 dmg per hit. Not a major setback, but these monsters get annoying.

The purple and grey spirits can be fought somewhat effectively by just sitting there with your shield up and letting them kill each other with their area attack--the grey ones are especially deadly to one another. This won't work for the red ones, as they're immune to their own area attack. Then take out the last (hopefully weakened) one.

Generally, for these guys, you want a root with some decent elemental attack. IIRC they're weakish to ice, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, the real key to fighting any of the spirit/ghost/slime types is working your charge/combo attacks. Most of the weapons have a combo that will hit once or twice lightly, then a big hit with knockback. When you get the timing down, you should be able to fight off any size group of these guys (slimes and spirits) effectively by repeatedly knocking them back. It's not as fast as popping a spell, but it doesn't cost anything, and when you get the hang of it, you won't be taking much damage.

For ghosts, I recommend just waiting at range until they charge an attack, move out of the way, then go in and hit them with a charged attack (triangle), repeat until they die.

But yeah, try to figure out the combos for your favorite weapon. I think dagger's (and I think blade's) best combo is square square triangle triangle... sword and maybe axe/mace should be square triangle or just square square. staffs don't have a real combo but you can double swipe with square square. spears I don't know because they are way too slow (never really bothered).

---
Erebus [Ohrwurm]
ticket costs only your mind
#3aggravatorPosted 10/16/2008 6:40:41 AM
My highest floor score was 173 which I think is pretty good. I tried to follow Darklao's floor plan, but I did get an idea of how to create the floors from his floor plan.
I created my floors with twists and turns and loops. The more confusing it is the better the floor. I don't think if will change the score if you use treasure rooms. I used treasure room on lots of my floors and it didn't hurt my scores.
I always ran out of T shapes and L shapes because those were the shapes I used the most. I had to play the floors and kill monster so that I could accumulate money so that I could buy the shapes. If the build store doesn't have any in stock, if you go to sleep and start a new day he will put more into his inventory.
#4Voluntas(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2008 7:33:36 AM
Thanks darklao and aggravator.

I'll keep those tips in mind while I play next time.

It sucks that the treasure rooms take away from your score, but I think I'll be using them for now to try to get some equipment early and also for loot to sell. I have four treasure rooms each at the very corners of the map and have skinned the rest of the map with stone, so I hope it compensates for the minus in score that the treasure rooms impose.

All in all though, the map is pretty fun and takes a while to navigate through completely.
#5Voluntas(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2008 4:42:52 AM
I have two more questions for darklao:

1) Does the recovery room take away from the score for that level?

2) In your perfect floor score map, you have four small grid-like sections. If I were to replace the cross intersections with 4-way rooms, would that negatively impact my score for that level?

Thanks in advance.
#6darklaoPosted 10/18/2008 10:19:24 AM
The answer to both those questions is: As far as I know, yes, the score will go down, but you can try it.

---
Erebus [Ohrwurm]
ticket costs only your mind
#7Voluntas(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2008 1:01:40 PM
I've been waiting to get the rest of the room skins for the medium sized rooms and I was just wondering how much more do I have to progress into the story to get the Courtyard and the Magic Room?