-POSSIBLE SPOILERS- Companion Cube was a mute?!?

#11AmethystZoePosted 5/17/2010 9:25:38 PM
Personally, I saw the humor in it. But at the same time I didn't seem to grow attached to the cube as much as most fans did. If you carried it through at least another level it might have helped.
#12HaRRicHPosted 5/17/2010 11:08:19 PM
The humor's that GlaDOS set such back-story and high expectations on a flashy box when you should really have never expected more than just a box. Apparently empathy plays a card too with its "death," though I didn't feel it much.

It's not hard to get if you get past the absurdity and accept that the box doesn't speak -- at least during that mission.
---
Nominate EPONA for Character Battle 9:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=8&topic=54225515
#13TaroxPosted 5/18/2010 12:28:24 AM
If a unique vital box is the first object you spend an extended amount of time with in quite a while you are going to grow fond of it and not want to abandon it, killing it forces you back into solidarity.

Why does Tom Hanks jump off his escape raft to save Wilson? Because he has become emotionally attached to it and it is his only form of social interaction making it as alive as the companion cube was.

HELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL THE CUBE, you could simply sit there with it, you may die sooner or latter, you won't get any cake, but you'll have your friend. But no, you accept that killing it is the only way to move forward because glados said so.

You want it to talk? Sit in front of your computer for a few months, no tv, no music, no contact with people, no anything, just leave portal on the companion cube level and never complete it. Conversations will ensue.

Next time try not shrugging off my post explaining the meaning of the cube. I'm sure this post won't answer your question either since you apparently want the formula of funny/meme.

/feedtroll
---
Tarox
#14FROGSMOOTHYPosted 5/18/2010 3:28:36 AM
sex'ness? oh i am so going to use that today. see? some good did come of this. but one final question: is sex'ness an adjective or a noun? i think it should be a noun
#15FROGSMOOTHYPosted 5/18/2010 3:36:16 AM
ok... i fully realize that im eating my paddle and subsequently jumping into the proverbial rapids but... i've figured out more or less why some people feel empathy for the companion cube and others dont. i played portal in one sitting and i hated to kill the companion cube... one of the most traumatizing video game experiences ever. BECAUSE I DIDNT TAKE A BREAK! this for the reason Tarox said. social isolation and blah blah blah. my friend beat portal in 4 or five sittings and he had no problem killing the cube. it's just a matter of how drawn into the game you are. im going to assume TC played it in segments. but Tarox... bit of an overreaction *doggie paddles*
#16philamikePosted 5/19/2010 10:46:18 PM
I'd like to point out some pertinent plot details first before I state my idea.

1: Artificial Intelligence is in the game. The prove of this is GLaDOS.
2: It's clear that there is someone else in there with you. You find areas he hangs out at, see his arrows and signs, find his food, etc.
3: This person is one of the original employees who worked on GLaDOS and survived the neurotoxin. We know this because as soon as GLaDOS came online, she locked the doors preventing anyone from leaving or entering.
4: This person spent a lot of time with the companion cube, as shown through a hide-out dedicated to it.

As someone who worked on the GLaDOS project, he would know how to program a computer with A.I. Due to being alone for a long time, he decided to create a friend using what was available to him. He took a cube, modified it, and programed it with A.I. Even if he didn't know exactly how to do this, he had plenty of time and all the resources of Aperture Science he could get his hands on, including many computers which could have access to the necessary info.

However, being a cube, it has no mouth and cannot talk; but that didn't matter because it could communicate through the same devices that brought it to life. The scientist could plug it in to one of the many computers he kept in his hide-outs and chat that way.

Another idea is that the word "storage" in Aperture Science Weighted Storage Cube could mean the cubes are used for digital information storage. This would mean that he would not have to work all that hard to modify the cube, just upload the A.I. programming.

Following this idea: yes, you did indeed murder a sentient lifeform and a faithful companion.

I just got this game a few days ago, so idk if this theory has been put out there before.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#17Seefu SefirosuPosted 5/20/2010 9:08:41 AM

Theory

Ludicrous, IMO; the theory is based off of the idea that someone is there in the laboratory with you while you're doing your test, which I personally find HIGHLY unlikely.

It is more likely that there once was someone there, but he is now dead, for whatever reason. Consider:

1: The immense amount of writing on the walls, especially in later levels, where it appears in red. Most of the earlier levels' writing appeared in black, to my recollection, but later stages were almost or were entirely red, typographically speaking.

2: The many observation chambers, where not a single human was ever seen or heard throughout your test.

3: The fact that the exit is pointed out (also in red).

Ergo:

Whoever was once there either ran out of food, water, contrived company, or sanity. He also ran out of whatever he was writing with, and started using blood. You can only use so much blood before you can't use any more, but, being not all there, his last dying act was to point out the exit for the next unlucky soul who had to endure the testing.

As far as the part of your theory asserting that the cube is sentient; burger = flipped. It just may have been. It's possible that's why GLaDOS calls your destruction of the cube "murder" later on. Or at least, another reason other than psychologically toying with you.
---
"So when did oral sex become multiplication of negative integers?"
~Sin~ -||-Deutsch Hütte-||-
#18philamikePosted 5/20/2010 11:26:31 AM

Ludicrous, IMO; the theory is based off of the idea that someone is there in the laboratory with you while you're doing your test, which I personally find HIGHLY unlikely.

It is more likely that there once was someone there, but he is now dead, for whatever reason.

Everything I said applies whether he is alive or dead. He could have done all those things long before you start the tests. Writing on the wall said that his cube got taken away. This implies GLaDOS took possession of the cube before he died and before the game starts.

I would guess that GLaDOS wants it destroyed because she knew it was programmed by a man out to destroy her, however I don't know why she wouldn't just incinerate it herself; probably due to her personality cores.

-The curiosity core wanted to interrogate the cube, so she took it.
-The anger core, finding out it was a threat, wanted the cube dead and thrown in a fire.
-The logic core wanted to store it to use it later in an useful way. (It also wanted cake.)
-The morality core wanted to keep it alive for the sake of keeping a sentient being alive.

Logic, anger, and morality compromised by inserting it into the test and having someone else make the decision to toss it into the fire. This way, the cube serves a purpose, it dies, and GLaDOS is not the direct killer.

Something else I thought of, is that he might have communicated with the cube by plugging in a camera, as he had a collection stored away.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#19cheo229Posted 5/20/2010 8:56:25 PM
answer: No, companion cube was not a mute. Your game is busted. People on this board just get so defensive.
---
xbox live gamertag: cheo228
#20FROGSMOOTHYPosted 5/21/2010 4:12:26 AM
heh... actually i think i know why some people feel empathy for the companion cube and others dont. if you played portal in a few quick bursts. you have no empathy for the cube. if you play it all at once in one sitting then you have empathy for the cube.