so i beat the exp glitch, and can level everyone to 200

#1TaterzzPosted 9/29/2012 3:59:25 AM(edited)
just a heads up to any future player, there's a glitch that can occur upon reaching level 200 that prevents you from letting your allies get more than 1 exp per kill at lv 197 on any mob. knowing this, i found a way to circumvent this glitch and let you level everyone normally.

the catch? you need to leave one character fairly inactive (the character i used was cyrille, she was 128). the lower you have them, the better. what you do is simply level one character to 200, and bring along 2 allies to 200 with them. who you choose probably doesn't matter, i used toma, avalon and faulkin. the place to level at is the Place Beyond Darkness. the best setup for this area i found was 20k+ defense, and the critical hit power art for toma with a darkness sword, or full light magic cyrille with Evil Worship (important for there are enemies immune to light and immune to dark here).

so let's say you followed my path, and brought toma/avalon/faulkin to 200. what happens next? i brought up the remaining roster (maebelle/gadfort/amitaliri/duga/adam/garyu) all up to 197. this is the important part, since they will be affected by the glitch when you use toma, since he is lv 200. once everyone has been brought up, switch to your inactive character. since cyrille was my inactive at lv 128, one can assume anything near that or below should work.

bring them (and your next pair of allies) to the Place Beyond Darkness. from here, immediately switch them out once they hit 198. your goal is to get your 6 remaining allies to 198. once that is done, you should be around the 170-180 range. from here, your goal is to get them all to 199. you should be around 199 by the time you get your final pair to it.

you should be close to 200, so go ahead and level. every ally is now capable of hitting 200 since they are all within 1 level of both your characters, so feel free to level with whoever you like.

PS, Light Charms are your friend here. 5 million gold to ensure no exp is lost, very valuable if you want everyone to hit 200 without worrying about lost exp through ally death.
---
You just lost the game.
#2Kamatari47Posted 9/29/2012 1:11:58 PM
We've actually talked about this ... some 4 years ago (man, how time flies).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/934417-shining-force-exa/42257749
---
The magic words are squeamish ossifrage.
#3Taterzz(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2012 1:41:37 AM(edited)
well aware of that post, however it was mentioned numerous times that it's doubtful one could beat the glitch and get everyone to 200. i proved this wrong, as it is very possible to get everyone to 200.

EDIT: i figure the threshold for beating the glitch and getting everyone to 199 would be having a character to be in the 160-170 range, as that's where i was after 1 or 2 rounds of it. by the time everyone was 199, i had about 4-6 runs before reaching level 200.
---
You just lost the game.
#4Kamatari47Posted 9/30/2012 10:25:44 AM
well aware of that post, however it was mentioned numerous times that it's doubtful one could beat the glitch and get everyone to 200.

If you'll follow the progression of the posts in that thread, I was speaking only from my own starting point, which featured the two main characters at level 187 and most of the NPCs at level 184 following max leveling at Training Grounds Depths. From that starting point, it is impossible to beat the glitch and max level everyone to 200, because the gap between 187 and 200 is just too small for the kind of intricate juggling you need to do to top the glitch.

We were aware theoretically that if you left one of the main characters on the sidelines for the majority of the leveling process, that he/she can then be used to later to "lead" the level-capped NPCs past the glitch. The topic discussing it should still be in the archives somewhere, but it's been too long, so I don't recall exactly where. The point is that it's an eminently achievable feat -- but only if you were aware of the glitch before starting your leveling quest, and thus had time to plan for it. Since I was the first to run into the glitch (the first to run into it and know what it is, anyway) and was only able to do so after getting smacked by it following powerleveling to 187 at TG Depths, I didn't have that luxury. It was with future players in mind that I documented the glitch in the supplemental guide, so that fellow perfectionists like you can know in advance that it's coming and attempt to circumvent it, where such an attempt was simply not possible given the restraints of my own playthrough.
---
The magic words are squeamish ossifrage.