Why are my Intelligence and Willpower constantly penalized?

#1SpikeRevellPosted 1/12/2009 2:39:38 AM
Okay, this is a real head scratcher, and it's starting to irritate me.

My character has just reached level 16. However, for the last three or four levels, my Intelligence and Willpower has been in a constant state of penalization. When I moved up to level 16, it should look like this according to my level up screen:

Intelligence: 58
Willpower: 57

But when I look at my stats in the journal, I see:

Intelligence: 52
Willpower: 51

And the stat numbers are in red, which I'm pretty sure indicates that something is sapping my Intelligence and Willpower. It's been like this for many days (in-game and real time) and I can't find anything in my journal or inventory that might be causing it.

I wonder if it has to do with that the hemophilia that causes vampirism. I picked that up during a quest, and I seem to recall it penalized my Intelligence and Willpower, but I cured it that same day (and I've slept many times without my character becoming a vampire).

---
"To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity." -Friedrich Nietzsche
#2FireBirdPheonixPosted 1/12/2009 6:42:29 AM
You may have a disease. Go to a church and pray. that should fix it.
#3wally(Moderator)Posted 1/12/2009 7:05:48 AM
Have you been playing with felldew? Did you check your stats? Been doing any drinking?
---
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.- Dr Suess
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.- Douglas Adams
#4uprrsloPosted 1/12/2009 7:27:55 AM
I had the same issue a few levels back. No vampire stuff as I've been staying away from those places just for that reason. I checked my log and no issues. I even took a cure disease potion to see if that would help. No drinking or playing with strange things.
#5Machines_Of_DogPosted 1/12/2009 7:51:30 AM
your stats have been damaged by attack...if praying doesnt cure it make or buy restore attribute potions or spells or eat raw ingredients with restore willpower or intelligence as primary properties...
---
"Theres no reason for us to stay any longer than necessary. Lets split up, look for any survivors and get out of here"LSKRE2
#6KamikaziCatPosted 1/12/2009 4:37:11 PM
Do you use armor or weapons that are enchanted to take away those stats?
---
Im not wearing pants today, its too hot that's what i say.
#7uprrsloPosted 1/12/2009 6:47:48 PM
My stats are now green. I think using a potion/veggie fixed it. My speed is now red and I am using enchanted armor but when I checked them, nothing is listed about sapped speed. Cheers.
#8AlilatiasPosted 1/12/2009 7:37:46 PM
but when I checked them, nothing is listed about sapped speed. Cheers.

Well, uh... That's the problem. Stats that are semi-permanently damaged by 'Damage [attribute]' effects do not show up in the active effects page.

Heck, that's the only thing that does not show up in the active effects page (most likely because they do not have a predefined duration, hence the semi-permanently part).

Going to a chapel should fix it. If you have a bounty, drinking or casting Restore [attribute] potions or spells should work too. Assuming that you have Shivering Isles and completed the main quest, I think there is a healer that shows up in the throne room that can cure you of just about everything instantly.
---
How about I just walk up to you, take your cereal, punch you in the face, and say "/breakfast"? Yeah, not very nice. -frk_of_hpttln
#9AlilatiasPosted 1/12/2009 7:41:50 PM
Oh, one more thing.

TC: Watch out for Will-o-Wisps. Will-o-Wisps like to damage your Willpower and Intelligence.

Usually, they're the only enemies in the game that can directly damage your attributes, unless you are unlucky enough to run into an enemy with an enchanted weapon or poison that does the same thing for other attributes (which is what I'm assuming happened with the other guy's Speed).

In that case, then... Watch out for Dremora with enchanted weapons, because the vast majority of their enchanted weapons directly damage your stats with each strike, which has the potential for massive attribute damage stackage.
---
How about I just walk up to you, take your cereal, punch you in the face, and say "/breakfast"? Yeah, not very nice. -frk_of_hpttln
#10uprrsloPosted 1/12/2009 8:37:00 PM
I forgot to mention that I prayed after reading the stuff here. Nada. I have the origional version not GOTY. I'll try to find a mage that sells potions to fix speed as I looked and I don't have anything that will change it. Cheers!