Any tips for a newbie?

#1piepiezPosted 11/11/2012 2:41:25 PM
I just downloaded the game and heard that it has a pretty high learning curve. What are the first things I should be doing/learning?
#2GM_Posted 11/12/2012 7:47:00 AM
Try Marines first because it's a bit more simple to play that Faction than it is the Aliens. Just listen to your commander, build what he says and always try to protect resource locations.

The entire game relies on who controls the most territory. If a team can generate more resources then they'll be more dominant in power over the other.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#3sm0kiEPosted 11/12/2012 2:16:25 PM
Just a quick tip for marines, if there's a skulk trying to bite you, run forward and jump. Then turn your aim 180 degrees mid air so you're pointing at the spot you jumped from. A lot of skulks will just follow you and you have an easy half a second to kill the skulk. Works really well with shotguns.
#4GM_Posted 11/12/2012 4:14:32 PM
Quote:Just a quick tip for marines, if there's a skulk trying to bite you, run forward and jump. Then turn your aim 180 degrees mid air so you're pointing at the spot you jumped from. A lot of skulks will just follow you and you have an easy half a second to kill the skulk. Works really well with shotguns.
@sm0kiE

Also look at the shadows. The game engine does a great job with shadowing the Aliens and if you pay attention you can sometimes counter an ambush.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#5DerejinPosted 11/22/2012 5:56:21 PM
Stick with your teammates! As a Skulk or Lerk on the Alien side you can do a bit better on your own through ambushes or fly-by "crop-dusting" with spore, but in general you want to have someone to watch your back. If you're with a group, just look behind you now and then to insure you're not being stalked.
Also, watch NS2HD videos on Youtube. A lot of videos on there are interesting to watch and can help you learn more about NS2. :D
#6swiftninjav2Posted 11/23/2012 2:53:08 AM
As the other chap said if you're a marine stick with your teammates till the end. If I was the last man standing after an ambush I tend to just retreat unless the comm asks me to hold a position.
---
i work@ Department of Save Points and Other RPG Clichés.
Making the world map a safer place for spikey haired heroes
#7long live me v2Posted 11/23/2012 9:41:54 AM
swiftninjav2 posted...
As the other chap said if you're a marine stick with your teammates till the end. If I was the last man standing after an ambush I tend to just retreat unless the comm asks me to hold a position.

Swifty!

Add me on steam we can play sometime!

zidey@hotmail.com (should be it)
---
SC2 - Merc / 766 D3 - Zidey#2468
http://raptr.com/badge/1d5052626bb6881f7225f627115868af/fs.png
#8swiftninjav2Posted 11/25/2012 4:21:58 AM
Sure but I won't be able to play again until december 17th
---
i work@ Department of Save Points and Other RPG Clichés.
Making the world map a safer place for spikey haired heroes