Was interested in this game, but I hear it's very teamwork oriented

#1LiarboyPosted 12/26/2012 4:13:55 PM
I won't be playing with friends and I won't have a mic, so does this game pretty much require those to play?
---
"Be careful dude. Annoy Liarboy enough and he'll threaten to kill you."- X3RO_THE0RY
#2SubbyWithDotsPosted 12/26/2012 4:48:51 PM
Neither are really required. A mic is preferable but you don't really need it except for commanding and even then a micless commander can do fine if they constantly type into teamchat.
---
http://static.tumblr.com/a7srgid/XMXlrf6nl/2q9lush.jpg
#3omegafoxlordPosted 12/26/2012 11:00:00 PM
My friend gave me this game as a gift on steam and I can tell you, this is not strictly team based. It's a fps like any other in that Marines hunt the aliens, aliens hunt the Marines. The twist in this game is that it also employs RTS mannerisms in that one player per team can get inside a command center/hive (Marine and Alien respectivly) and this person plays an RTS, building NPC units but also suggesting movements for the Human Players as well as working to upgrade them. A team without a commander is doomed to failure as the objective is to defend your command centers, and without a commander you can't build defense up.

A mic is not needed, you can easily type (enter for all, and y for team), regardless of what role you play.
---
Person who has eliminated an Eliminator!
#4stonelikearockPosted 12/27/2012 12:41:03 AM
Unless you are a commander a mic isn't required.
---
"just be glad there's nobody named paperlikeabook to come and post after you. Then you'd be in trouble mister." - arleas http://imgur.com/QgO8q
#5Jptremblay13Posted 12/30/2012 9:50:08 AM
Yeah I don't use the mic at all. I follow the commander orders, and if I need ammo/health, there is a button for that. And if I really need to say/ask something special, there is always the team chat!
#6lufia22Posted 1/6/2013 5:29:59 PM
I've only played 6 hours so far, but the community has been really mature from what I've seen. Some people can be a bit bossy, but that's better than having someone that doesn't communicate.

It seems marines require the most teamwork in my experience. They get easily gobbled up 1 on 1 against an alien so they have to exploit their range in numbers to push forwards. That's just my newb observation, I could be wrong.

As with any team based game in which you are pubbing rather than being organized, you'll get on some teams that suck at working together and some that do. Thankfully, most of the commanders I've had seem to give orders decently well. The biggest issue I see are gung-ho people that don't stick together.

There's still fun to be had in pubs. In fact, the whole commander mechanic actually makes it much more enjoyable as a team based experience in a random pub compared to other team games. It enforces at least a little teamwork.
---
nununu
#7hallowinfidelPosted 1/7/2013 1:58:23 PM
hahaha, it's a fun game. i'd say invest in a mic at some point. think they're pretty cheap at this point, if you have a webcam, you can probably use that, just pair it with some earbuds or headphones so you don't get echoes.

anyway, teamwise, there is nothing more hilarious than someone yelling for backup as an alien, and you just see like 5 skulks swarm over 2 marines. it's over in seconds.

one time recently, another skulk just goes... "where the hell did all the rest of you come from?"

the teamplay is very satisfying if you get people that communicate with each other, yes you can play without a mic, but playing with one is better. the teamplay can also be very very bad, if you have people unfamiliar with the maps/are unresponsive to instruction/are uncommunicative.
#8Crazyplayer042Posted 1/13/2013 4:55:19 PM
Only the commander requires a mic. As long as you stay near a teammate or two and listen to your commander, you don't need a mic or pre-made groups.
---
Remember, mudcrabs feel only hatred.
STEAM ID: http://tinyurl.com/7swq4no
#9DarthSchubertPosted 2/11/2013 9:35:23 AM
You don't need a mic, but it's really helpful and nice to have. If you like gaming online at all, I'd recommend getting one. Yes, you feel like a nerd with your headset on. But it really raises my enjoyment of every game i use it in.

Because this game is so team oriented, I find pubs are actually better at team work. You don't see a lot of rambos going off and trying to run things by themselves - this isn't halo with a rush for the sniper rifle so you can lone wolf, or CoD where you are worried about someone stealing your kills.

You aren't really incentivized for killing enemies. You are incentivized for cooperating and taking objectives. So people play as a team by default, because that's the purpose of the game. I wouldn't worry about playing in public servers.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#10DarthSchubertPosted 2/11/2013 9:35:50 AM
You don't need a mic, but it's really helpful and nice to have. If you like gaming online at all, I'd recommend getting one. Yes, you feel like a nerd with your headset on. But it really raises my enjoyment of every game i use it in.

Because this game is so team oriented, I find pubs are actually better at team work. You don't see a lot of rambos going off and trying to run things by themselves - this isn't halo with a rush for the sniper rifle so you can lone wolf, or CoD where you are worried about someone stealing your kills.

You aren't really incentivized for killing enemies. You are incentivized for cooperating and taking objectives. So people play as a team by default, because that's the purpose of the game. I wouldn't worry about playing in public servers.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."