Making a mage char. Need help

#1arctrooper35Posted 7/27/2008 2:58:51 PM
Hey everyone. Im trying to make a mage character in Morrowind. i just cant piece together a good one. does anyone have any suggestions like skills, race, birthsign etc. thanks for your help =)
---
Everyone knows Long Blades are Better Than Short Blades. DUH...........
#2maynardftwPosted 7/27/2008 4:25:20 PM
Nothing really matters when you start out. For mages, anyway. Make whatever character you want, make the most useful magics your majors, the rest on minor, acrobat, athlete, etc. Once you get to creating your spells, you can use soultrap to jack up your stats to whatever you want.

Basically use whatever race you feel most comfortable playing as.
#3JeaboPosted 7/27/2008 5:11:13 PM
Take a look at Karpah's FAQ. There's a couple of decent mage type custom characters to get ideas from.
---
Always store beer in a dark place. - Laz Long
#4ziegdPosted 7/28/2008 10:16:03 AM

maynardftw posted...
Nothing really matters when you start out. For mages, anyway. Make whatever character you want, make the most useful magics your majors, the rest on minor, acrobat, athlete, etc. Once you get to creating your spells, you can use soultrap to jack up your stats to whatever you want.

Basically use whatever race you feel most comfortable playing as.

lol....you ARE kidding, right? Just messin' with the TC?

RACE
For a first-time Mage, Breton is a good choice, since it offers some good magic-oriented bonuses/traits, without the penalties of the High Elf. For an experienced Mage, High-Elf is good, even with the "Weakness to Magicka" trait.

BIRTHSIGN
I think a lot of people would agree that Atronach is a good sign. Personally, I always chose it, even for non-mage characters. Even with the "No Magicka restoration when resting" penalty, I found that it's actually easier to keep my Magicka full, due to the "Absorb Spells" bonus. Even for a Warrior, that's a great defensive power to have. And for a Mage, it's priceless.

ATTRIBUTES
There are certainly Attributes that are specific for making a good Mage, but I always chose Endurance and Luck as my primary for ANY character. Why? Because the +10 Endurance gives you a health boost right from the start, plus it governs how much additional health you get each time you rest. The higher your Endurance, the more quickly you can gain max health. And since Luck affects every other skill to some degree, AND because the max level gain you can get each time you rest is +1 (you can get up to +5 for every other Attribute), it takes forever to level it up. Starting out with a +10 bonus means I have the opportunity to gain +50 in other Attributes for the same number of 'rests' it would take to raise Luck by 10 points.

SKILLS (Major/Minor)
-You will have to make up your own mind on this one. Your selection will depend on what spells look the most interesting or useful to you. Since a Mage character usually doesn't emphasize Strength (carrying capacity), you'll probably want to keep your weight down. So you may want to consider Light Armor or Unarmored.

-You will also want to incude at least one weapon skill, since you WILL need to melee at least a little bit. I like Short Blade, because there are a lot of useful Short Blades in the game, and they're low weight. Blunt is another good one, imho, since there are some good staffs and blunt weapons in the game (i.e. Skullcrusher), PLUS Blunt is the single most common Preferred Skill among the various Guilds, so increasing it regularly helps you gain rank in several Guilds at once (if you're interested in doing so, that is). Spear is also good...you can keep some distance from enemies, and using it allows you to gain Endurance points (for more health increases when you rest).

-There are also several useful skills that are difficult to level up from Misc, so I pick a couple of useful ones for any character build. Things like Speechcraft help you improve disposition quickly, so you don't spend money on bribes all the time. And Sneak is practically impossible to level without Trainers if you start out with it at 5 (Misc). Same thing with Security (unless you plan to make an auto-pick spell or enchanted item right away, which would make sense for a Mage). Also, if you plan to go without armor OR weapons, then Hand to Hand is a good choice...a one-punch knock-out can give you time to escape a dangerous situation. And finally, I like Marksman for any character, but that's just because I love using darts, throwing knives and bows. And it can be tedious as hell to try to level it up from Misc.

-For a Mage, you might be tempted to pick almost all Magic skills for your Major/Minor, but be careful. Many will level up on their own, if you use them alot (like Restoration or Alchemy). Decide what spells you plan to use for combat, and select those skills. I always pick Destruction for my Mages, although many players would disagree, since it can level a lot with constant use. But I always figure that, as a Mage, I'm gonna throw a lot of fire-balls, frost-bombs and shock-bolts...simple but effective. Illusion and Alteration are both popular among Mages as well. One skill I have never tried much, but looks particularly interesting for a Mage is Conjuration. I've seen posts from many players you like the Bound spells you can cast. Since Bound armor and weapons are weightless, you have the ability to Summon some good stuff for those instances when you need melee ability. But be aware...if I'm not mistaken, they will only be as effective for you as your corresponding skill level. Summoning some Bound Daedric armor and longswords won't be much good to you if your skill level with those items is only at 5 or 10. And I always like to pick Enchant for any build, although it may be somewhat extraneous for a Mage. There are a lot of good enchanted items in the game, and a higher skill level means you get more 'bang-for-the-buck' from them, so to speak. (But as a Mage, you'll probably be relying on spells, so it may be moot.)

-Finally, there are some skills that are almost universally viewed as 'wasted' if selected as a Major/Minor, simply because they level so fast in the game on their own. Acrobatics and Athletics will both level constantly just by running and jumping every where you go. And you will be selling off so much stuff in the course of the game, that Mercantile increases rapidly as well.

These are just some of my choices. In the end, there is no such thing as a 'correct' or 'perfect' build...it all depends on personal preferences (which is the beauty of the game). And since it is possible to max ANY skill or Attribute you need during the game, there is no such thing as a wrong choice...just 'less-than-optimal' ones. So play on, experiment, and most of all, ENJOY!

#5arctrooper35(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2008 11:56:29 AM
So do you think this is a good build? I like it

Race: high elf

Birth Sign: apprentice

Major : Destruction, marksman, unarmored, mysticism, conjuration

Minor: athletics, acrobat, alchemy, speechcraft, alteration

favorite attributes: Endurance and intelligence

I chose apprentice cuz i still get a combined 3.0x magicka bonus and still can regenerate it in sleep. i chose marksman cuz i can still keep my distance even if i am out of magicka. i chose conj cuz........ well its fun having things fight 4 u =D and mysticism if for mark, recall and absorb health spells. how is this build?
---
#6JeaboPosted 7/28/2008 2:15:48 PM
Looks pretty good to me except for a couple of things.

You might (or might not) be disappointed in how little protection Unarmored gives. It only gives your armor class a possible maximum of 65 and it takes a while before it gets anywhere even close to that. I would recommend Light armor to start.

Most people would tell you not to take Athletics and Acrobatics as Major/Minor. They could possibly make you level up too fast. (The monsters you meet get stronger as you level up. If you level up using these two skills your fighting skills might not be high enough yet to take care of them). I would change Acrobatics for a melee weapon, you NEED one. (If you jump/walk your misc. Acrobatics skill is very useful in getting multipliers for Strength).
---
#7JeaboPosted 7/28/2008 2:39:39 PM
I just took another look at your choices.

As an High Elf with the Apprentice, your weakness to Magicka will be 100%. This, along with the elemental weaknesses might be difficult to overcome.

(Don't feel bad if you restart your game a half-dozen times or so, tweaking your character to something you like better. Most everybody does. A little experience in this game goes a long ways).
---
#8maynardftwPosted 7/28/2008 4:38:44 PM
No, I was serious.

It doesn't matter what you do, in starting, so long as you peg the magic on your character as high skills. Once you get the "fortify attribute" and "soultrap" spells, you can crank your stats, any of your stats, to be whatever you want.

When most of your skills are 500, 1000, 2000 or more, it hardly matters what stats or skills you start out with. The biggest decision there is all cosmetic: What kind of race do you want to play as?
#9maynardftwPosted 7/28/2008 4:39:48 PM
Sorry, I meant "When most of your stats are 500, 1000, 2000 or more".
#10arctrooper35(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2008 6:45:35 PM
ok two things...... one i DONT WANT TO CHEAT. i think that sucks all the fun out of the game. two, i settled on a battle mage. these r his stats

Race: Dark elf

Sign: Apprentice

Major: long blade, heavy armor, conjuration, restoration, mysticism

Minor: illusion, alteration, Enchant, speechcraft, alchemy

Fav attributes: Endurance and intelligence

Baisically my battle mage uses the art of magic to boost his combat abilities with summonings, enchantments, and healing spells i summon creatures to distract my enemy and then go in with one swipe of my bounded long sword. plus mark and recall come in handy. Alteration is for all the neccesary levitation spells. and illusion is for a sneaky get away if i ever get in trouble. alchemy is for......well potions. and speechecraft is so i dont gotta waist all my cash on bribes.
---
More topics from this board...
Recommend some good mods.Hulkkis27/24 9:56PM