How to uninstall mods and Morrowind completly?

#1Kitein0Posted 12/12/2008 7:24:08 PM
Its a long story but for certain reasons I need to reinstall Morrowind onto my computer. Unfortunately I had several mods for it and whenever I reinstall Morrowind, the mods seem to for some reason still be in the Data Files option of the main menu. I've even deleted the entire Morrowind folder under Program Files completly before attempting to reinstall but the mods are still there as well as my old saved games (despite selecting the option to delete them when uninstalling) and the game is now nearly unplayable because of this. Also, whenever I try to quicksave: I get an error that says something among the lines of: "cannot find temp file" or something.

In a nutshell: anyone know how to COMPLETELY delete all of Morrowind and any possible mods so that I can give it a clean reinstall?
---
What? You expect me to put something witty here or something?
#2ChocolatlPosted 12/12/2008 9:19:48 PM
The mods aren't official content, so they won't delete with an official uninstall. Try the Remove Programs option under My Computer.
If that doesn't work--and it should--try to reinstall the game in a separate Morrowind folder, not under Program Files. That should at least make the game playable.
#3Kitein0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2008 9:41:55 PM
I'm using Vista so I don't have that option under Computer: there is an option to uninstall using the Control Panel but unfortunately it just gives the same effect as the official uninstall. I'll take you up on your advice to install the game into a different folder though, I hope this works.
---
#4ChocolatlPosted 12/12/2008 10:51:32 PM
I didn't know Vista didn't offer that option.
That's a pretty grim deal.
But yeah, the other ought to work.
#5Kitein0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2008 11:12:04 PM
well it actually does have one...but its the same as the uninstall option found under Control Panel and thus the same as the official uninstall so...I dunno. Oh, and an update: I copied the morrowind files over but I guess there's a problem with bloodmoon: it says it can't find a snowflake texture or something among those lines...geez, what a pain. Maybe there's some way to just reformat everything?
---
#6ChocolatlPosted 12/13/2008 9:33:11 AM
If that's the only problem I think I'd just reinstall Bloodmoon in the new directory and see if that works.
If I want to uninstall something on XP and it looks as if it hasn't all come off (that happens sometimes) I'll go to My Computer, do a search for the related files, and manually delete the ones I don't want. I'm not sure how or if that would work on Vista.
#7CommonJoePosted 12/13/2008 3:23:54 PM
To uninstall everything, do an official uninstall, then go into the remnants of the folder (it should still be there, even if the games core files aren't there anymore, and delete whats left.

Basically, you uninstall, then delete the Bethesda folder if it still exists.
---
Never Forget Your Towel -- http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/huMAnity_dues/uninspiredB.png
#8ChocolatlPosted 12/13/2008 4:39:36 PM
That usually works, but sometimes even that doesn't get it all.
#9CommonJoePosted 12/13/2008 7:06:51 PM
^^ True, and usually those that are still leftbehind are usually ones that end up changing the games actual mechanics, like MGE, MWSE, ME, and stuff like that. But if all your downloading are simple armor additions, for example, then my method will clear it right out.
---
Never Forget Your Towel -- http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/huMAnity_dues/uninspiredB.png