Windows 7 and Morrowind

#1SerogonPosted 1/20/2010 6:41:19 PM
I've recently gotten a new computer, and it came with Windows 7. This is proving... problematic. I got all my mods together and tried playing Morrowind, and it crashes as soon as I activate the trapdoor off of the boat in the beginning. I even tried disabling every single mod in case something was conflicting (despite me using the exact same mods as I was with my old computer on XP) and it still crashes. If anyone else has Windows 7, can you let me know if there's something else wrong or if Windows 7 just hates Morrowind?
#2sir bonezPosted 1/25/2010 2:33:25 AM
I am current;y playing on Windows 7 x64 with no major issues. I did experience one random crash but have since been using compatibility mode and it's working thus far.
---
GT - Gorekill
#3gsasquatchPosted 2/9/2010 11:48:01 PM
Odd, the game crashes before I even get to the main menu... Albeit my 'copy' is, well, you know....

Damn.
#4Link_KakalatoPosted 3/11/2010 7:14:09 PM
I'm having no problems running my Morrowind off my external hdd on windows 7. no compatability mode or anything. morrowind does have a pretty buggy system behind the game and is prone to random crashes. All I can recommend is try reinstalling after completely uninstalling the game from your system. So uninstall morrowind, then delete the morrowind or bethesda softworks folder. I say either because if you're like me you've got oblivion too and they both get put there. Make sure all your mods are backed up before doing this. (i keep a seperate folder with all the .rar files there)

---
Have you tried the Hot Pocket Hot Pocket? It's a Hot Pocket stuffed in a Hot Pocket. It tastes just like a Hot Pocket!
#5blue calxPosted 3/12/2010 4:48:18 PM
Steam version of Morrowind here, Windows 7 64-bit, freezes whenever I:

Start New Game (only if I'm in the middle of an existing game)
Load Game (only if I'm in the middle of an existing game)
Exit (any circumstance)

Looked all over the web for help, but it's really just hundreds of people like me parroting the same and similar problems without conclusion.

The game runs fine on my WinXP machine, 100 miles away from here... so it has to be the operating system.

Compatibility mode doesn't work because putting Morrowind.exe into any Compatibility Mode propagates back down into Steam itself, and then Steam whines about being in Compatibility mode. Ridiculous.

---
(Oo)............that is not dead which can eternal lie..........(oO)
//||\\.....and with strange aeons even death may die.....//||\\
#6DivineDragoonKainPosted 3/13/2010 9:40:34 AM
The game runs fine on my WinXP machine, 100 miles away from here... so it has to be the operating system.

Not necessarily. What graphics setup are you using? I've found some games just hate certain Intel graphics chipsets.
---
If you can't spell Dragoon, call me "DDK", or Ultrainer.
KIRBYHAMEHA! (>'.')>===================O*BOOM*!
#7blue calxPosted 3/14/2010 2:50:34 PM
It's integrated graphics on a Lenovo T500 laptop, but during gameplay there are no problems with anything graphics-related. It actually plays better than Morrowind did on the old ATI Radeon x800 I used to have years ago on my PC.

This freeze only happens when I'm already in the middle of a game and then I Load or Exit.

Loading/Exiting works fine if I'm not in a game yet, still at the title screen.

---
#8blue calxPosted 3/16/2010 7:31:17 AM
Screw it, I tried everything. Even messing with every BIOS setting that might also affect stability of older programs on newer systems. I think it really might be the video hardware or drivers doing this to the game.

I suppose I'll lug up my PC from the other end of the state this weekend. But then... I'll just play TF2 like I always, always, always did on that PC. I bought Morrowind specifically so that I'd have something fun to play on this low-end laptop for the next 5 months. Oh well.

---
#9VenomIIPosted 3/20/2010 10:17:07 AM
This is very hard for me to get working with Code Patch on Windows 7. Sometimes it works, sometimes it stops and I have to re-patch.

---
Videos--> http://www.youtube.com/user/venomireland
VenomII's new account.
#10VenomIIPosted 3/21/2010 10:50:32 AM
Nevermind, I got it working by using a different version of MGE, turns out it wasn't the code patch.

---
Videos--> http://www.youtube.com/user/venomireland
VenomII's new account.