Awesome secret

#11Sparx401Posted 7/19/2012 4:57:55 AM
And just to throw this out there, Fi doesn't actually make SS any "easier" since her obligated conversations are merely stating the obvious (like showing that the boss door requires a boss key in almost every single dungeon). She's not totally useless, at the very least, and it's interesting to get the biographies of various characters from her.

If they cut out those dialogue bits in which she becomes Captain Obvious and sped up the damn text, she wouldn't be as annoying. It's a wonder why a plethora of the 2D Zelda games usually give you the option to change the speed of the text (like the Oracles and TMC) or have the option to speed through text (FSA), and yet the 3D games are devoid of such options at all.

And hey, just imagine the Kirby Dance if Kirby inhaled Fi!
---
Like LPs of somewhat obscure and not often-LP'ed games? Try me: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatDivTag
Currently: Zelda OoA / Joy Mech Fight
#12PlasdurockPosted 7/19/2012 8:08:44 AM
Did Kirby's Dreamland have secret switches? I've never played it but I've heard it's very short (only a few levels plus a hard mode). If there aren't any secret switches in the game (which I didn't think there were because of the fact it's such a short game), what's hidden in the moon?

Extra Lives during a long fall.
---
Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't. -Mark Twain
#13avengahPosted 7/19/2012 2:30:14 PM(edited)
She does make the game easier. Surely you've had her solve puzzles for you without you even asking? Or even if she beeps and makes your sword flash, you're prevented from calling her for any other reason until you either leave the area or listen to her hint. Stuff like "I bet you could fire something through the ceiling to hit the Timeshift Stone on the mast!" that most people would easily work out themselves, but would rather be given the chance to work it out themselves.

Thanks, Plas.
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F
#14Sparx401Posted 7/19/2012 4:31:06 PM
She does make the game easier. Surely you've had her solve puzzles for you without you even asking?

But those so-called "puzzles" either were obvious enough that the player already knew what to do and she was simply stating the obvious. She never in the game said something along the lines of, "Master Link, you need to do A, then B, then C". She more or less says, "Master Link, the lock on this door has been reengaged, you need to find a key to progress".

Could you please explicate on what puzzles in particular that she flat out gave away the solution that wasn't already obvious to the player before she spoke up?

Or even if she beeps and makes your sword flash, you're prevented from calling her for any other reason until you either leave the area or listen to her hint.

The only reason she flashes is when your Wii-mote batteries are low, you have low health, or something that's already made obvious to players who were paying attention to what they had to do. That doesn't make anything easier if players already know what to do. A repetition of information doesn't decrease difficulty, it merely is an annoyance.

Stuff like "I bet you could fire something through the ceiling to hit the Timeshift Stone on the mast!" that most people would easily work out themselves, but would rather be given the chance to work it out themselves.

See, that's the whole point. Players already know what to do. Fi doesn't make it "easier" simply because she tells you something you already know. That's like taking an arithmetic test, and your friend tells you that 5 + 8 = 13. Does your friend telling you information that you (hopefully) know already make the test "easier"? No. It doesn't. You'd probably just bat him away saying, "yeah, I get it. You don't need to tell me". It's the same thing with Fi.
---
Like LPs of somewhat obscure and not often-LP'ed games? Try me: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatDivTag
#15avengahPosted 7/19/2012 6:17:26 PM
I can't think of anything at the moment, but I'll get back to you on that. I'm sure there were puzzles that she solved before I had the chance to think about it myself. Even if it was obvious, I would still rather have been allowed to ponder its solution on my own.

Ah, actually I can think of some hand-holding. Remember the Ancient Cistern? There was a stone tablet at the top of the thread that said "Return the statue to its original form, then descend below the earth via this thread." Now, a simple check of the map would reveal that the last chest you need is underground, and the statue needs to be raised to reach it. But you can't get underground via the statue if it's raised, so there's only one other way. So why does the game need to spell out the solution?

And you can't just say "but you don't have to read the tablet", because you don't know what it's going to say. The tablet in the same room, at the front of the statue itself, must be read to solve the puzzle involving the gemstone lock, since it gives you a cryptic clue. A clue would have been much better than blatantly giving the solution, as the tablet at the top of the thread did.
---
#16Sparx401Posted 7/19/2012 6:52:39 PM
Ah, actually I can think of some hand-holding. Remember the Ancient Cistern? There was a stone tablet at the top of the thread that said "Return the statue to its original form, then descend below the earth via this thread." Now, a simple check of the map would reveal that the last chest you need is underground, and the statue needs to be raised to reach it. But you can't get underground via the statue if it's raised, so there's only one other way. So why does the game need to spell out the solution?

But it's not Fi telling you that, which was my point. I wasn't contending that the game never holds your hand, I was talking about Fi and that her annoyance stemmed from her stating the obvious rather than making the game "easier".
---
#17BeamGunner73Posted 7/29/2012 9:24:08 AM
On the topic of secrets...

1-3: go to the very right edge of the first area, then head left and you'll see a bush (which is really a door) the Green Greens theme plays here, and you can get two abilities, Ninja and Fighter, that are otherwise unavaliable until world 4.
1-2: in the area right after the cannon area, where the max tomato is, head up to the top left corner of that place and hit up around the door. Inside is a invincibility candy.
5-5: head further up from the very first area, to the caged area right above the door. You'll go through a slightly different version of the level.

Those are the other secrets I know of.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 1764 - 3901 - 4182
#18ansujitsuPosted 7/29/2012 9:29:01 PM
Beamgunner, you sure it's 1-3? I can't find the secret door.
#19avengahPosted 7/30/2012 3:02:38 AM
No, it's in 1-4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5PlQW1_1BI
---
#20Sega9599Posted 8/13/2012 11:41:59 PM
Sparx401 posted...

But it's not Fi telling you that, which was my point. I wasn't contending that the game never holds your hand, I was talking about Fi and that her annoyance stemmed from her stating the obvious rather than making the game "easier".

It's to help casual players who tend to put things down for like a week or two before returning to it. She is gently reminding them of what to do. She is a little annoying, yes. One thing I didn't like was the FI icon won't stop flashing until you answer her. But she's not that bad.

Now the Timestone, which outright tells you every single answer to every single puzzle in the game........
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.