Proud or Critical Mode?

#1KeyOfDestiny_24Posted 11/1/2011 6:46:08 PM
Hey, I'm going to be playing KH2: Final Mix for the first time here soon (am re-playing through the series atm, and am a bit into Re: CoM so was asking in advance), and was wondering what difficulty people might recommend? I know it'll vary player to player depending on your skill level though.

I've played through KH1 several times (and every time but the first time on Expert), KH2 a couple times on Proud, and Re: CoM a couple times on Proud. I know these are probably nothing compared to Critical Mode, but I really have no basis to go on so I wanted to give you an idea of what I've done in the series.

Either way, I'm going to do Critical Mode in the future, I just don't know if it'll be this time or the next time. Only reason I'm asking instead of just doing Critical Mode right off the bat is because it's been a couple years since I've (fully) played through KH2, so I'm probably a little rusty. Also, I'm not quite sure how substantial the leap in difficulty is in Critical Mode compared to Proud.

Thanks in advance for any help.
#2ipitydafool64Posted 11/1/2011 7:17:30 PM
Critical lvl 1 run or Critical?
#3GlavewurmPosted 11/1/2011 9:58:23 PM
Critical. The way the penalties are applied, you could argue that Critical is actually easier than Proud early on. Critical has less HP, but applied though Bonus Levels, so it doesn't even affect you until you get a few of those. The 25% less XP gained is probably more of a penalty early on. Add in the 25% damage boost that Critical has, and the penalties seem minor. As you go along in the game they start to add up of course, but by then you'll probably be used to things.
---
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7320/72501443.jpg
#4KeyOfDestiny_24(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2011 10:33:01 PM
darklinkmaster posted...
Critical lvl 1 run or Critical?

Just normal Critical. I doubt I'm even close to being ready for a lvl 1 run lol, though I do wanna try it in the future.

Glavewurm posted...
Critical. The way the penalties are applied, you could argue that Critical is actually easier than Proud early on. Critical has less HP, but applied though Bonus Levels, so it doesn't even affect you until you get a few of those. The 25% less XP gained is probably more of a penalty early on. Add in the 25% damage boost that Critical has, and the penalties seem minor. As you go along in the game they start to add up of course, but by then you'll probably be used to things.

Oic, thanks! Also sorry but what did you mean by Bonus Levels, and is the 25% damage boost referring to you hitting enemies or enemies hitting you?

I am thinking I'll try Critical though now, I'm sure it'll be a great fun challenge. I'm sure the new bosses will tear me up for awhile though ha.
#5Spinder1Posted 11/2/2011 4:01:57 AM(edited)
Absolutely go for Critical. The added abilities in the beginning make the game MUCH more fun to play - an extra finisher, blissful faster MP regeneration, Lucky Luckys for easier farming etc. - as does the fact that higher damage results in quicker Drive Gauge recoveries and easier form leveling, and since you're not doing a LV1 run you can just level up however much you feel like to control the difficulty. Though with the added damage boost I'd say that a leveled Critical run is overall not that much harder than a Proud run anyway.
---
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes
#6GlavewurmPosted 11/2/2011 6:35:57 AM
what did you mean by Bonus Levels

Those are the times you get a bonus in the top right for doing a specific task instead of leveling up. Most bosses give one. For example, you always gain Guard for beating Twilight Thorn, no matter your level. There were 50 of them in the original KH2, and 60 in Final Mix 2, you can check how many you have on the Status menu.

When the bonus level is an HP boost you gain less HP from it on Critical (It's 2 for Sora, 1 for Donald and 2 for Goofy instead of 5/4/4 per boost), but you start at the same number. This also applies to MP boosts (+5 instead of +10). When it's all said and done you end up with 60 HP on Sora instead of 120, but it's a gradual thing (and Donald at 42 instead of 90, Goofy at 72 instead of 116. Bonus levels are rearranged in Final Mix, so I don't know if that was their cap in the original KH2 or not). Guests are unaffected.

is the 25% damage boost referring to you hitting enemies or enemies hitting you?

Enemies do the same damage on Proud as on Critical. Sora does 25% more damage on Critical than Proud. And yes, as mentioned, you also start with several abilities in Critical that you don't get with Proud.

Critical is all about making things... well, critical. Someone is going to die quickly, one way or the other. It does ease you into it though. Just don't expect to beat a few of the Absent Silhouettes when you first find them. At least not easily.
---
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7320/72501443.jpg
#7KeyOfDestiny_24(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2011 1:25:55 PM
Spinder1 posted...
Absolutely go for Critical. The added abilities in the beginning make the game MUCH more fun to play - an extra finisher, blissful faster MP regeneration, Lucky Luckys for easier farming etc. - as does the fact that higher damage results in quicker Drive Gauge recoveries and easier form leveling, and since you're not doing a LV1 run you can just level up however much you feel like to control the difficulty. Though with the added damage boost I'd say that a leveled Critical run is overall not that much harder than a Proud run anyway.

Alright definitely sounds like it should be a fun challenge then.

Glavewurm posted...
Those are the times you get a bonus in the top right for doing a specific task instead of leveling up. Most bosses give one. For example, you always gain Guard for beating Twilight Thorn, no matter your level. There were 50 of them in the original KH2, and 60 in Final Mix 2, you can check how many you have on the Status menu.

Oh, I know what you mean now, gotcha. Alright then.

Enemies do the same damage on Proud as on Critical. Sora does 25% more damage on Critical than Proud. And yes, as mentioned, you also start with several abilities in Critical that you don't get with Proud.

Ah nice, should balance things out a bit more then.

But yeah, I've definitely made up my mind now, Critical it is. Thanks for your help guys. Sounds like it should be great.

As for the Absent Silhouettes, haha, yeah, I expect the extra bosses are going to be really tough (but really fun lol), and that's what I'm looking forward to the most.
#8Ryan86Posted 11/3/2011 6:41:49 AM
Everyone said it, but yeah, definitively Critical. I made a Proud run just to have a Proud save for eventual checks, but never touched it after defeating all the new bosses.

If you ever get stuck, I suggest you check my Level 1 Guide: even if you're not playing at Level 1 (you will want to, later on), there are many things we don't realize about bosses until we HAVE to fight them defensively: most KH2 players just ended up button mashing their way through, never touching Summons and only Driving for fun. The game is much more enjoyable when you learn to user everything at your disposal, something that Level 1 runs teach you.

If it interests you, I'm doing a live-commentaries-Let's Play on Level 1. I'm just before the Space Paranoids revisit, so there's plenty for you to watch if you want to. It might also provides better ideas against bosses if you get stuck and the Guide is too "technical" or too "text-y". My YT user is Ryanpb86.

Enjoy the game! KH2FM's Critical is the best KH experience so far, in my opinion.
#9KeyOfDestiny_24(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2011 10:42:59 AM
^Alright, sounds good. Will check out the guide and playthrough if I need some help (already checked a couple of the vids of yours just to get a feel of it).

I'm actually going to be starting the game here in a few minutes, haha. Critical Mode here I come.
#10NeoSarinatanPosted 11/13/2011 3:01:22 AM
Yeah, if you've already played Proud in the other games, then Critical should be easily doable. It won't be cakewalk either though, but that's kinda the point isn't it?
---
28:6:42:12