Toal...Experts Only!

#1Yuri1991Posted 7/30/2012 10:32:52 AM
Anyone else curious as to why he is labeled "Experts Only!"?

I found his playthrough to be the easiest of all 3. The entire game felt so much easier than using Yunica and Hugo. Heck, I was lower level than both of those two when I beat Toal's game.

Anyone else feel that he's no where near "Experts Only!?"
#2helldewPosted 7/30/2012 10:37:44 AM
Im guessing you didnt play on hard or nightmare. On normal Toal is by far the easiest character to use cause the speed he can put out his damage is astounding. on Nightmare and hard he cant afford hits and his boss fights are brutally hard on harder difficulties. Unlike Yunica who has a uber cheap ranged attack and Hugo who is just cheap as heck in general (all of his skills are really really good and not very risky). Toal is really good and really fast but he doesnt have anything as abuseable. and damge taken will kill him very fast. And due to his fighting style of being a very CQ melee user he will be taking hits.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#3Yuri1991(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2012 10:40:09 AM
With Godspeed I found that avoiding hits is uber easy with Toal, though.

I very rarely came close to getting low on health almost his entire game. I rarely used any of his other abilities. Dashing through the enemies, slashing, dashing back through. You rarely ever get hit.
#4zinformantPosted 7/30/2012 10:44:00 AM
Spoiler in the title notwithstanding...
Play on Nightmare and return. Anyone who is "meh" or worse at Ys will fail here. As said above, damage output is poor, so any hit you take will destroy you. Hugo has protection, so I'd argue he is by far the easiest.

That said, Toal on any difficulty is hard if you're not experienced with the game, so that could be justification for that. Just don't mind it.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#5Yuri1991(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2012 10:51:19 AM
zinformant posted...
Spoiler in the title notwithstanding...
Play on Nightmare and return. Anyone who is "meh" or worse at Ys will fail here. As said above, damage output is poor, so any hit you take will destroy you. Hugo has protection, so I'd argue he is by far the easiest.

That said, Toal on any difficulty is hard if you're not experienced with the game, so that could be justification for that. Just don't mind it.

You should check out the other threads. There's multiple threads using Toal in the title.

I checked before using his name.

Besides, spoiling this story? There's very little to actually spoil.
#6zinformantPosted 7/30/2012 10:58:26 AM
Yuri1991 posted...
Besides, spoiling this story? There's very little to actually spoil.

I respectfully disagree. The others shouldn't have done it, either.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
#7SeijinMisakoPosted 7/30/2012 12:15:14 PM
Also, Toal doesn't get an auto-revive item for the final boss, unlike Yunica and Hugo.
---
"What kind of moron gets hit by a bus inside a shopping mall?" -Maria Torres, Trauma Team
#8Yuri1991(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2012 12:43:03 PM
SeijinMisako posted...
Also, Toal doesn't get an auto-revive item for the final boss, unlike Yunica and Hugo.

That's because he didn't even need it, or come close to even needing it imo. The final boss was way easier with him than with any of the other characters.
#9zinformantPosted 7/30/2012 12:47:34 PM
Yuri1991 posted...
That's because he didn't even need it, or come close to even needing it imo. The final boss was way easier with him than with any of the other characters.

Interesting. I felt the direct opposite on Nightmare. Dalles caused me significant trouble, but Darm went down after not many attempts. And, realize, I've fought Dalles countless times and never had fought Darm before. Dalles is tough on the higher difficulties and even moreso without the free heal.

The real reason he didn't have a free heal I believe is analogous to why Ys Seven doesn't have a Boss Rush mode. In Seven, the party system leaves too much variability for Boss Rush to be possible. In this game, for Time Attack, during which fight does Toal get the free heal, Dalles or Darm? Once you consider that, it makes a little more sense.
---
#10yvonnesohhwPosted 8/11/2012 4:09:59 PM
Back to square one; try Nightmare.
---
im no trol, hi
i m bad wif englihs plz forgiv meh