New Expansion - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

#1talisiosPosted 3/2/2011 3:32:17 PM
Not sure how many people frequent this board anymore (the activity seems to have died entirely), but for the few fans who remain, I proudly present to you one of the best bits of information I've heard so far this year.

The time of Diplomacy is over. The length of the war and differing opinions on what should be done to bring the war to an end has led to a splintering of the groups involved. The controlling powers-that-be have depleted arsenals and seemed to have exhausted all efforts of diplomacy. Trapped in a stalemate, sub-factions have rebelled and broken off the main alignments. Rebellion is upon us.

The exciting next chapter in the awesome Sins of a Solar Empire universe has arrived. A full-fledged expansion to the original, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion draws you even deeper into the galactic struggle for supremacy with appealing new factions, terrifyingly cool new ships of all sizes, enhanced lighting and particle effects for increased visual pleasure and all-new victory conditions.

“Rebellion is the first stand-alone expansion to the Sins of a Solar Empire universe,” said Brian Clair, director of publishing for Stardock. “Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion will add many new ships, refresh the visuals and integrate Impulse::Reactor features to support achievements, multiplayer leagues and much more.”

In the original award-winning Sins of a Solar Empire, developed by Ironclad Games, you are the leader of one of three civilizations embroiled in a galactic war, fighting for survival of your entire race against relentless foes. Your success will depend on your ability to manage your empire and command your vast fleets of starships to victory. Players will colonize new worlds, develop extensive trade networks, conduct research, fortify their empires with powerful starbases and fleets of ships, plus control the galaxy using the unique diplomacy system that reacts dynamically to the players’ actions.

New features of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion include:

* New Factions: Players decide whether to become Loyalists or Rebels, which unlocks a unique new tech tree granting them new technologies and ship variants.
* New Titan-class ships: Massive warships for each race that dwarf capital ships, these deadly new monsters are capable of wiping out entire enemy fleets single-handedly.
* New Capital Ships: A new capital ship class arrives, giving players new strategic options.
* New Corvette-class ships: Small, highly maneuverable light ships that are adept at a variety of tasks.
* Loyalist and Rebel versions of some of the existing Sins’ frigates and cruisers, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses.
* Updated lighting and particle effects for enhanced visuals.
* New Victory Conditions to allow for more variety, differing strategies and shorter game sessions.
* Additional capital ship ability levels, for greater strategic choice.
* Impulse::Reactor support for chat, friends, achievements and more.

For more information please visit: http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com

This is quite awesome, if I do say so myself.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop that." - Arthur Dent
#2DuneManPosted 3/2/2011 4:22:19 PM
A lot of that sounds interesting. Though I'm not sure I like the idea of a 'Titan' ship. The tech better be massive to research and use. Like 30,000 credits, 4,000 metal and 2,500 crystal massive... Of course you'd also need 8 Combat Labs and to research the tech, which would be double typical tier 8 research. Then it would serve an appropriate purpose, to clear out fully entrenched gravity wells in the late game. Otherwise, why upgrade starbases when you can sweep a solar system, or maybe multiple systems if they have jump drives? Someone also mentioned the possibility of being let down if the best counter to that is also massed bombers.

Oh, and, a TEC Titan? Or a mock-up of some sort?
http://www.blogcdn.com/news.bigdownload.com/media/2011/03/casinsrebellionmarch1.jpg

I wonder what the new capital ship class is... Speaking of which, will they better balance some of the weaker capital ships? E.g. will the iconic Kol be more than a glorified bullet sponge this time around? Outside of Flux Field support from a Dunov, the Kol couldn't do much of anything on its own. A Sova Carrier became much more of a battleship by comparison, thanks to the missile pods. I hope it isn't just an anti-structure class. That would screw the Vasari a bit, as their Desolator has some anti-structure capability with one of its abilities.

Corvettes... a new amalgam of scouts and light frigates? With all the craziness of late game antics, I'd just like to see scouts get a 'dodge' tech. Maybe a special toggled mode with a serious cooldown that disables all abilities aside from the engines but grants 75% chance to dodge attacks. Either that or give flak frigates the 'explore' option just like scouts. They did tend to become late game scouts.

Oh, and it looks like they broke with earlier plans to do a story mode campaign. Still, I'll definitely do some massive months-long super campaigns.

On another issue, please for the love of immersion, nerf the "Titan-class" pirates present in Diplomacy with the new expansion! They can take down entire fleets as well, with simple purchased raids. The same goes for fully entrenched gravity wells with fully upgraded starbases and up to 45 tactical slots filled with defenses. Only minefields can slow them down, and even then not by much...

I imagine some folks think I'm overreacting on the issue of Titan ships and what I think they should cost. But I'm reminded of so many Age of Mythology games that basically ended if someone could rush a Titan. I mean, a lone Titan could sometimes be whittled down in that game, but you were basically screwed if on the receiving end if the Titan was accompanied by some other military force. And there it at least involved researching the 4 ages, then a pseudo fifth age before you could build the titan gate. Requiring 8 combat labs would serve to dampen the rushes greatly. Econ/pocket players could still try it, but they'd be gambling heavily on it. Maybe these new corvette classes would specialize in bombing Titan Shipyards? If they had speedy phase drives and engines you could make an assault to destroy the Titan before it is even built.

Oh, and yay for discounts for Trinity/Diplomacy owners. Sins is one of the few games I shelled out full cost for at each step of the way, without any purchaser's regret.

"Good day, Commander!"
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#3DuneManPosted 3/4/2011 1:43:04 PM
Word from the developers, the game is currently pre-alpha and any beta testing is months away. I'm personally thinking you might see a beta around September/October.
---
#4GrallisPosted 3/5/2011 2:09:39 AM
Great game - glad to hear there's another addition coming
#5Waldo_PepperPosted 3/6/2011 1:04:40 PM
You've just made my day sir. Sins is a game I just can't get enough of. Outstanding game!
#6lalala_laPosted 3/15/2011 7:59:37 PM
Damn, I've got more games than I have time to play them. Still haven't gotten around to trying Entrenchment >_>
#7DuneManPosted 3/16/2011 5:49:49 AM
^
Yeah, I know that feeling. I get games in batches when they're on sale, but end up with a backlog.

You should definitely try Entrenchment though. The starbases are quite fun, especially the Vasari and Advent ones. The Vasari one is scary since it can move about within a gravity well. The Advent one is scary because it can disable the engines of ships around it and pummel them with psychically hurled meteors. ^_^
---
#8PoisonArcPosted 3/21/2011 6:26:23 AM
Entrenchment is the same as vanilla, and etc for diplomacy...Dude, play trinity, makes the game great :/
---
pew pew
#9DuneManPosted 3/21/2011 6:38:34 AM
Oh yeah, since Gamfaqs allows private messaging now, you could even organize a game using a connect to ip structure. Could be fun.
---
#10lalala_laPosted 3/22/2011 9:22:47 AM
Incidentally, Sins of a Solar Empire is the reason why I have too many games. From SoaSE I registered for Impulse, where I got a bunch of nice deals on some other games....and then having tried Impulse I decided to make a Steam account and bought a whole bunch of other games during their Christmas sale.