Sims 3 lag

#1ashley_tigerPosted 12/10/2010 6:03:54 PM
I have all 6 of the sims 3 games (the main one and the expansion packs) and i have a brand new computer. I have 6 GB of ram and the best video card on the market right now. i have updated everything and have tried un installing and re installing all games and i am STILL having a horrible lag issue with the games. It only started when i got ambitions but i can not get it to stop. I have contacted EA games and they are lost as to what is going on.....anyone got any ideas??
#2BAG_LADYPosted 12/11/2010 12:23:15 AM
So what's the specs of your brand new computer?
#3wanderzPosted 12/11/2010 8:58:15 AM
this topic keeps coming up here and on other forums too, and the answer is always the same thing.
maybe i should make a topic for this and request a sticky, it probably won't get approved for sticky tho..

quoting myself from another topic..

it's a known issue, it eventually effects all towns, but bridgeport more then others..

the best thing to do is use overwatch "mod" by twallan.. it's not exactly a mod tho, it's more of an unofficial bug fix, and does not alter the game or it's files.

basically the taxis and work vehicles that appear in town turn invisible when done instead of being deleted, so for every game day that you play there can be 20-50 cars that just turn invisible.. so after 30 days the game is keeping track of 600+ invisible cars..
overwatch removes those cars... every game night you'll see a message that so many cars have been removed.. usually in my game it is about 25-35.. the first time you start the game after installing that file you might see "removed 2314 cars" some have claimed more then 3000.

this is where you find twallan's mods.. some of his others are also very highly recommended by me and many others.. especially the story progression one.

http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=0620863dbe47f70e20b1a2d78fb21fe7&board=105.0
scroll down to the topic "overwatch...." for the lag fix.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#4ashley_tiger(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2010 12:59:21 PM
Well im not sure what "specs" your wanting but i have 873 GB of free space out of 920 GB i have a Gforce 9100 video card thats been updated completely. My windows system is Windows 7........I bought this computer specifically for this game.
#5BAG_LADYPosted 12/12/2010 5:30:15 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6BAG_LADYPosted 12/12/2010 5:31:43 AM
So... did your game stop lagging after getting the "Overwatch" mod / fan-made bug fix? You wrote that your problems started after Ambitions, but that invisible cars bug is from Late Night, as far as I know.

Anyway, PC Specs = CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card, HDDs, etc. You have 6GB of RAM, if that's 3x2GB then I guess you have a Nehalem based Core i7 (which is more than enough to run Sims games) and 1TB HDD.

I asked for "specs" just because I'm curious. You said you have "the best video card on the market right now", which made me curious. But if it's a Geforce 9100 like you wrote above, then it's by far not the best.

The "best video card" crown change hands pretty quickly. The best video cards on the market now are Geforce GTX 580 for nVidia and Radeon HD 5970 (soon HD 6990) for AMD/ATI. Geforce 9100 is very obsolete.

Read these charts

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-athlon-ii-x4,2791-6.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850,2782.html
#7wanderzPosted 12/13/2010 2:37:32 PM
Geforce 9100 like you wrote above, then it's by far not the best.

and that's an understatement.. since with the geforce cards it's the second number that is more important and a 1 of course is not a high number i'm actually surprised the game runs..
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#8arahman56Posted 12/13/2010 2:57:40 PM

Anyway, PC Specs = CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card, HDDs, etc. You have 6GB of RAM, if that's 3x2GB then I guess you have a Nehalem based Core i7 (which is more than enough to run Sims games) and 1TB HDD.

Considering that the PC has a GeForce 9100, it might actually be a Intel/AMD Dual Core with 6 GB of DDR2 RAM.
The PC is definitely not powerful to run all the expansions at once.
I would suggest the TC try running the base game only.

And also to get a new PC, something with at least an i3 and GTS450.
---
"All of time and space, everything that ever was or ever will be... where do you want to start?"
#9TimbermawPosted 12/14/2010 2:51:09 AM
My computer is better than yours and it also "freezes" frequently.
What are your lags like? Do your sims and game-time stop but you can still see the objects animating? Or do you just lag when moving the camera and stuff?