"Sims 3 Launcher has stopped working""

#1samthewisePosted 11/25/2012 2:00:21 PM
Hi all,

Doing this on behalf of my gf, as I'm the one with the account on here :P

My girlfriend recently installed Seasons expansion pack, but then suffered an issue with a corrupted windows update, requiring her to do a system restore. This meant it uninstalled Seasons. After re-installing, every time she tried to open the launcher she received the error "Sims 3 Launcher has stopped working" instantly.

Obviously, we can bypass the launcher by running the game's direct .exe, so playing the game isn't a problem. The problem is if she ever wants to have an update or download directly from the store!

She'll play in the meantime, but is there any way to somehow fix this issue?

She's planning on eventually getting the full ensemble of the expansions from her mum and re-install them all, but I'm hoping for a way to do it quicker, as she won't see them for another month!

Any ideas?
---
Sam,
I like to sign my posts, but apparently the TOU does not allow this. So, my signing is now my actual signature. Enjoy.
#2samthewise(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 5:26:16 AM
An update; she has actually reinstalled every game from scratch but it's STILL HAPPENING.

How is this possible? Where did this conflict come from? There's nothing there that provides a conflict, as nothing new has been added prior to receiving this error. As far as the computer is concerned, when it was uninstalled it was removed, so there shouldn't be a problem once it's reinstalled...

Is there a way to replicate the launcher .exe? Perhaps it's become corrupted?
---
Sam,
I like to sign my posts, but apparently the TOU does not allow this. So, my signing is now my actual signature. Enjoy.
#3scottrand05Posted 11/26/2012 2:26:25 PM
IIRC, The Sims 3 was very "weird" about uninstalling. Did she uninstall using the built-in uninstaller or did she just delete the folders? if the latter, that is a sure-fire recipe for failure. If the former, you may want to try it again, and then use CCleaner* to completely remove anything the uninstaller left in the registry. If that still doesn't work, don't worry as you are better off not using the launcher (manually patching is better, and the exchange is a rip-off of free stuff found elsewhere).

*google it as I don't have a link