Some people can get upset pretty easily lol.

#61tinaarmstrongPosted 10/8/2012 9:00:51 AM
AverageMarty posted...
I honestly don't think people should play a video game if they get mad when someone taunts them. I understand in real life and sports and such but to get mad when someone taunts? In a video game? I don't know, I think that's a personal thing going on there. And to say I'm a bad person because I "overkill"? No. I might hit you couple times after you're dead but it's because I'm bored. People taunt me all the time, and I mean yeah I'll get mad but I'm not going to send hate. If anyone is being a bully it's the people who get pissed and send mad hate to someone in a message, not the one's taunting. They're just using their character's moves is all. Plus, each character has different taunts and reflect their personality.

By your "logic", you shouldn't be playing video games either. In the same post, you said, "I honestly don't think people should play a video game if they get mad when someone taunts them" and, "People taunt me all the time, and I mean yeah I'll get mad".

It all comes down to taunting an opponent is poor sportsmanship. It doesn't matter if it's a video game, football, Monopoly, or poker. By the very definition, a taunt is a negative thing. These kiddies want to get the other player upset and cry about it when they have to deal with the repercussions.
---
Tina Armstrong & Dixie Clemets *sigh*. So very hot.
#62AverageMartyPosted 10/8/2012 9:48:43 AM
tinaarmstrong posted...
AverageMarty posted...
I honestly don't think people should play a video game if they get mad when someone taunts them. I understand in real life and sports and such but to get mad when someone taunts? In a video game? I don't know, I think that's a personal thing going on there. And to say I'm a bad person because I "overkill"? No. I might hit you couple times after you're dead but it's because I'm bored. People taunt me all the time, and I mean yeah I'll get mad but I'm not going to send hate. If anyone is being a bully it's the people who get pissed and send mad hate to someone in a message, not the one's taunting. They're just using their character's moves is all. Plus, each character has different taunts and reflect their personality.

By your "logic", you shouldn't be playing video games either. In the same post, you said, "I honestly don't think people should play a video game if they get mad when someone taunts them" and, "People taunt me all the time, and I mean yeah I'll get mad".

It all comes down to taunting an opponent is poor sportsmanship. It doesn't matter if it's a video game, football, Monopoly, or poker. By the very definition, a taunt is a negative thing. These kiddies want to get the other player upset and cry about it when they have to deal with the repercussions.

By that I meant, I'll get mad but not to the extent of sending people hate messages. I'll just try to beat the crap out of them the next game and if not, oh well. And taunting shouldn't be in this video game if people are going to be hurt by it. I understand football and sports but I'll never understand reasons to be extremely pissed because of taunting in a fighting video game. If it's that serious, taunt back.
#63gameguy006Posted 10/8/2012 10:29:59 AM
Yea I know its a game. People feel safe on games and the internet. This is why they taunt and act like jerks. In real life if someone was "taunting" us, they may meet a fist to the face. It's funny when you research someone's gamertag, find their number, and give them a call. They basically crap themselves lol.
#64LordNobunagaPosted 10/8/2012 10:51:42 AM
Honestly, of you wanted to be "respectful", just send a "gg" message. Taunting after a win, especially when your opponent is on the ground, is just asking for payback from that person.
---
Elisabeth Blanctorche fanboy.
youtube.com/user/CommElite, and GT: TM07
#65AtrabiliousPosted 10/8/2012 11:07:29 AM
I taunt after every round. Without fail. Providing I didn't lose that round, anyway.

That being said, I haven't made people angry by taunting. I did make a couple of people salty in a lobby because I kept trouncing them with Mila over and over again. Profanities, insults at my ability to play and threats to kick were thrown my way, lol.

Anyway, a lot of people you play against in online fighting games are super sensitive and can't handle any sort of loss, taunts just make it worse for that kind of person because their ego can't even handle losing in the first place. I'd get used to it if I were you, cuz it's going to happen a lot.

By the by, he wasn't being cheap with Jan Lee, he just outplayed you.
---
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Currently Frequenting: The Dark Souls, DmC & Dead or Alive 5 Boards.
#66Triguns VashPosted 10/9/2012 10:38:11 AM
Atrabilious posted...
Anyway, a lot of people you play against in online fighting games are super sensitive and can't handle any sort of loss, taunts just make it worse for that kind of person because their ego can't even handle losing in the first place. I'd get used to it if I were you, cuz it's going to happen a lot.

This pretty much sums it up. You lost, the other player has that 5 seconds to do whatever he or she wants. It's not affecting you in any tangible way, you choose to let it affect you emotionally. It's definitely in the spirit of the game to have taunts.

And, comparing this to sports isn't helping your argument (not addressing the person I quoted here). There's a rule in a lot of sports against 'showboating' or 'taunting', and you're fooling yourselves if you think these are strictly enforced. In the 'rules' of DOA, enforced by the creators, they've allowed taunting for a short duration at the end of the round. If you win the round, you get to do what you want. That's the rule. So, should we only respect the rules when it's to the advantage of the loser? How is that fair?

It's ironic that a small gesture with a little pseudo-clever quip gets someone more offended than two characters violently beating the crap out of eachother. "Yeah, let's bash eachothers skulls in, but don't do some adorable pose and whip out some quaint remark while the other guy is on the ground. That's just insensitive!"

I do agree with what others have said, though: sending crude/threatening messages is legit bullying. It's almost insulting to compare the legitimate harassment that goes on in these online communities to the harmless taunting animations in this game. The taunts serve a specific function, and it is to raise the stakes or provide some built-in ball busting. I'm sure we've all encountered the 'taunts every round' player, and boy does it feel good to return the favour when you come back and win the match.

Just my thoughts, not intending to attack anybody here.
---
You haven't lived until you've had a coma.