Could you list the Dragon Quest games in chronological order story-wise?

#1megamagitionPosted 7/15/2010 1:12:58 AM

So I could start playing the Dragon Quest games from the beggining story-wise.

#2SlimeknightPosted 7/15/2010 1:14:06 AM
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest I
Dragon Quest II
Everything else is not in a specific time period.
---
What's a more awkward title? Final Fantasy II or the Neverending Story II?
#3rockyminPosted 7/15/2010 1:19:59 AM
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest I
Dragon Quest II
Everything else is not in a specific time period.

Actually you can start at Dragon Quest I because....

<possible spoiler>

Dragon Quest III starts out in a time period after II but you go back in time to a period before DQ I.

---
There is no such thing as a wiimote!!!
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile
#4hexeosPosted 7/15/2010 1:20:06 AM
Actually, for the second 'trilogy' it would be VI, IV, V. Those games just take place over a few thousand years rather than a couple hundred like the first trilogy.
#5JaiimPosted 7/15/2010 1:27:33 AM
How the hell do you figure that 3 takes place after 2, but you time travel back to before 1? I've never found any evidence to suggest such a thing, you simply fall down a hole in the ground. I think it's pretty clear cut that 3 is just the earliest game in the timeline.
#6hexeosPosted 7/15/2010 1:31:13 AM
3 is the adventures of Erdrick/Loto, to my memories. The famous ancestor that got your character in DQ1 sent off to defeat the Dragon Lord with nothing but a stick and some pocket change, with the assumption that he'd win because his great great grandfather was a hero.

I don't remember anything about time travelling.
#7JiruruPosted 7/15/2010 1:36:21 AM
That'd be something, if Return (or Zoom as it prefers to be called these days) could warp you through time.

---
"It felt like the music was aimed right at me... like a missile!"
#8megamagition(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2010 2:47:25 AM

So that's story-wise...With which title do you think I should start out on the ds? I'm completely new to the Dragon Quest series by the way.

#9hexeosPosted 7/15/2010 2:50:48 AM
My personal favorite on the DS is V right now, though IX is fairly close. VI may or may not beat out V when it's released, as I love that one too, but...it's not out yet.

So I'd suggest either this one or V. IV is...decent, but having to play through a prologue with all your future party members before even being the hero always bugs me.
#10megamagition(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2010 7:32:08 AM

So V;VI and then IX?