Alchemy Items Respawn - Theories

#1SoulBrandPosted 7/20/2010 8:07:23 PM
After all of the respawn topics we've had, I figured we'd have a central one. I made this thread/topic in hoping that we'll all be able to put together a solid compilation of the respawn theories out there - to help the avid alchemists like myself :)

What seems to not work:
- Changing DS time to advance "in-game" time.
- Sleeping at the inn multiple times in a row.

What seems to work:
- Advancing the story.

Now I might not have read enough of these topics, but it seems that the ones mentioned above are the main points of the discussion.

For a few days in a row now, when I try to gather spawn points in the game RIGHT AFTER I turned on my DS, I wouldn't be able to. Those shiny stuff just aren't there...

So I tested something. I left my DS on standby/sleep for a few hours. Guess what? When I came back, the shiny stuff have been spawned!

Here's my guess: I remember seeing a Japanese (or Chinese) table listing the number of hours required for certain items to respawn - those numbers correspond to the hours AFTER you turn on your DS. Then as long as you don't turn your DS off, after a certain number of hours after you've gathered the items from the spawn points, they respawn - and it keeps cycling like that.

Problem is, I can't seem to find the link again... Would anyone have a link handy by any chance?

Also, please note that I haven't read every page in the stickied FAQ, so I'm not sure if these have been theorized in there.

---
#2LightHawKnightPosted 7/20/2010 8:08:50 PM
Its not really advancing the story as its ingame time. Also moving in and out of the area seems to help make some items spawn if they were supposed to spawn but are not on the map.
---
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything.
#3IAznDragonI YanPosted 7/20/2010 9:23:07 PM
i adjusted my save file's in game time ahead 7 hours and the items dont respawn. i really dont know what makes them respawn.
---
Not so fast! - Shi-Long Lang
#4IAznDragonI YanPosted 7/20/2010 9:26:13 PM
here's the link btw;

http://dq9.org/dq9_field.html
---
Not so fast! - Shi-Long Lang
#5Gamemaster64Posted 7/20/2010 9:27:09 PM
When I was going for brighten rocks. I found none near Gleeba so I went to Wormwood and got some, then went back to Gleeba and saw some when there was none before. Though I went back to Wormwood and saw nothing and same goes for Gleeba after that.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#6DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/20/2010 9:27:59 PM
Maybe the game uses some trickery in its program to count alchemy spawn time separately from in game time, to ward of cheating? eg.

Variable "A" == (ingame time)

Variable "B" == +1 every hour that ds is on. When "B" == 4 (or whatever) then respawn
#7MaggieTheKattPosted 7/20/2010 9:38:12 PM
I haven't read through any other alchemy item respawn topics that might be floating around, so sorry if this has been discussed...but does number of battles have anything to do with it? When I started playing earlier today, I had just gotten to the area where you can change jobs, so first I went around and collected some alchemy items, then went and switched all my party members to level 1 jobs and levelled them up for about 30-45 minutes, then went back and collected more alchemy items and a lot (not all) of them had respawned by that time.