What is the easiest way to get more saint's ashes?

#1egervari3Posted 8/6/2010 7:27:34 PM
I notice that some items enemies drop them, but it's less than 1% (no thanks). Another enemy is 3-4%, but I don't have access to it yet.

Any easier way?
#2ViewtifulGenePosted 8/6/2010 7:30:35 PM
Here's a few methods

-DQVC sells them sometimes.
-buy them for 8 mini-medals, once the captain in Dourbridge opens his shop. (After you get the Dragon Robe)
-Grotto chests

Once you start fighting Legacy Bosses, you can get all the Saint's Ashes you want.
---
You can wax on, wax off all you want. I'm still kickin' your ***. -Gene, God Hand
#3Gamemaster64Posted 8/6/2010 7:31:26 PM
blue chests or steal them from genie she...those floating furby monsters.

---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#4ShenkomiPosted 8/6/2010 7:32:17 PM
I always steal them from Genie Sanguinies, which can be found on a small island to the south of Western Coffinwell (or north of Zere). They also carry prayer rings, though, but those can sell for quite a bit (1350 gold each, iirc) if you don't want to alchemize them.

Still, it's better than waiting for enemies to drop them, I guess. Just be prepared to attempt plenty of Half-Inches.
#5egervari3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 7:51:36 PM
How do I improve my steal rate? It seems like 10-20%.

I have all the +deftness stats, plus I am ranger. I also have lots of +deftness gear. I don't understand.
#6somethingsdontPosted 8/6/2010 7:55:12 PM
Steal rates are always going to be very poor for most of the rare drops, even with immense deftness. I think it caps out at x6 the drop rate. It helps to run everyone in your party through the thief tree to pick up Half-Inch. Makes it go a lot faster if you've got four attempts per turn.
#7egervari3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 7:58:17 PM
Actually, in this case, the steal rate is horrible. It's like 1% or something. :/
#8egervari3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 8:01:02 PM
Yeah, that's actually what I'm doing - with 4 characters.

I wish there was a way "repeat my last commands for my entire party" option. Selecting it over and over for all 4 characters is a pain.
#9EK711Posted 8/6/2010 8:04:33 PM
Just get all party members half inching and cross your fingers. Like others have said, the drop rate of the item from a specific monster seems to influence your chances more than anything. A 1/256 drop rate is going to be a pain.

Just from my experience deftness does almost nothing for stealing... Anyone have a link or something to a reliable source that says deftness improves the rate of stealing? This deftness and stealing correlation bothers me...
#10MSN 04 SazabiPosted 8/6/2010 8:06:29 PM
Just from my experience deftness does almost nothing for stealing... Anyone have a link or something to a reliable source that says deftness improves the rate of stealing? This deftness and stealing correlation bothers me...

Here, terence is pretty reliable

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/55667688

---
Doreamon... who cares... if it has Mon at the end its just a Crapy ripoff of Pokemon (which sucks too) -PSOPOPO