Malroth is the Iowa of legacy bosses

#1rottenmonkPosted 4/10/2011 8:29:32 PM
Middle of the road, no glaring weaknesses. Average. Uninteresting. Not too easy, but not real tough either.

Just like Iowa.

Grinding him is boring. He's at 50 now and I feel like I'm going to fall asleep if I have to fight him any longer.

Also, is it correct to have fur hoods and white tights on? It feels like c-c-c-cold breath is his most damaging attack.
---
Fair. Next.
#2BAGTbirdPosted 4/10/2011 9:28:05 PM
I just have my fan-wielding Paladin use Reverse Cycle, then spam Forbearance until Knight Watch triggers. No need for Magic Mirror, since Malroth never uses spells. She's got enough HP to take a full C-c-cold Breath if he ever uses Disruptive Wave before it.
#3Destructor526Posted 4/10/2011 10:39:25 PM
Actually, I think he is one of the more difficult ones. Most of the bosses are weak to an element they use but Malroth does not. He also does a fair amount of damage especially if he psyches up. Blinder also forces you to not have an accessory like higher critical chance or higher coup-de-grace chance.

He does have a throwaway ability in Fullheal, but it still heals him for a decent amount - probably heals the amount of damage by a level 99 gladiator with falcon slash and a falcon blade. He's probably only easier than Nokturnus, Estark, Dragonlord, and maybe Zoma although I think Malroth is harder than Zoma.
---
PSN and Xbox Live name - Destructor526
#4MinstrelSage719Posted 4/11/2011 3:59:07 PM
i just got Malroth's map the other day through the DQVC quest. (hallelujah, thank you DQVC. you've made the post-game experience so much more fun!!)
he killed me in 2 turns.
how is he easy to you?!!!!
---
Video game nut. That's me.
#5RSmitPosted 4/11/2011 4:05:12 PM
Read this (see below) and then try again. Legacy bosses are no pushovers, even Baramos (allegedly the easiest one among them) can and will wipe out an unprepared party.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/61484

---
"You are, in fact, the man." - Jifted Kid
Owner of negative bolts in Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando.
#6rottenmonk(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2011 8:48:46 PM
*Malroth uses Psyche Up

*Malroth attacks. Veronica blocks with her shield.

*Malroth is enthralled by Veronica.

<3 <3 <3 Thank you, Iowa :D
---
Fair. Next.
#7Rai_of_WindsPosted 4/11/2011 9:58:41 PM
... Uh, yeah. If you've only gotten a specific boss to 50?

I'm terribly sorry, but you don't know crap about what it's actually capable of >_>;

Dragonlord's one of the most horrifyingly difficult/challenging/tedious Legacy Bosses of the bunch... at 99.

He's not that terribly bad at 50. Even Estark is only mildly hair-yankingly annoying at 50.

That "Attack and Defence increase" bit isn't for show ya know...
---
Neither the darkness, nor the light. Merely the shadow, reflection of the darkness cast by the light. Condensed and distilled into unification, nothing and all.
#8rottenmonk(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2011 10:07:22 PM
I didn't say he was easy, yeesh.

I just said he was average for a legacy boss. Which he is.

Compared to Nimzo and Murdaw, he's definitely harder.

But compared to Estark or Dragonlord, he's definitely easier.
---
Fair. Next.
#9Dark RPG Wizard 06Posted 4/11/2011 10:18:51 PM
He's definitely above average at high levels.

Orgodemir is average. Psaro is average. Malroth? Bastard is too dodge happy.
---
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
#10rottenmonk(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2011 10:57:04 PM
76 now.

He just used disruptive wave 8 turns in a row. Seriously?

That's my biggest gripe with him at these levels. It just takes forever because of the constant healing and waving.
---
Fair. Next.