Grotto Names (and what they mean)

#71Cody900Posted 7/21/2010 6:54:04 PMmessage detail
Really, that's how it works? Ok, thanks.

I've been looking through some of the map info. The map number affects the general treasure map level and the number of floors, with the seed changing the layout and the chest ranks/number.

Most chests I've seen is 34, but that's really rare. Most S-type chests on one map I've seen in 6, with 8 A-type chests, best seed I've seen so far.
#72DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/21/2010 9:57:06 PMmessage detail
Thanks again, Terence. Don't know what motivates you to do this and frankly don't care. I assume you do most of your testing via roms? Would be nigh impossible otherwise.
#73smellitoPosted 7/21/2010 11:10:12 PMmessage detail
Hi Cody, is that a program you have that can view the map info, layout and chest timetable? Can you share that?
#74waterfiendPosted 7/22/2010 3:35:58 AMmessage detail
Terence - Maybe a silly question, but would it be possible to manipulate the RNG to generate a map for a given character level / revocation level that produces all metal slime enemies on one floor?

It would be tremendously helpful to almost anyone. We already have the Hoimi table method for controlling the RNG in order to make bosses drop their 2% rare item. Maybe that method could be used to make specific maps drop at a certain hero level / revocation level?

Only thing is, right now we don't have an understanding of how the seed is generated for maps... Or which seed produces an all metal slime map...
#75earthlykaiserPosted 7/22/2010 3:55:25 AMmessage detail
That grotto location map will be most handy.
Now I don't have to use my alchemy-ingredient map to search the entire world.
#76Terence(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2010 4:42:45 AMmessage detail
Terence - Maybe a silly question, but would it be possible to manipulate the RNG to generate a map for a given character level / revocation level that produces all metal slime enemies on one floor?

Possible, but extremely unlikely and unwieldy. It's far easier to know how the next few random numbers will convert to a percentage drop, than it is to know how the seed it generates will convert to an entire multifloor map which varies wildly based on quality.

The only sensible way to do it would be to have a computer program go through all the possibilities, which would take much more work than the Hoimi tables. I'm aware that programs do exist that can analyse treasure maps in save data, so the groundwork may be out there. But I have no intention of attempting to replicate that work given how massively involved and complicated it would be, for what amounts to very marginal benefit in comparison.
#77waterfiendPosted 7/22/2010 5:07:40 AMmessage detail
Good to know, thanks! : )
#78Wu_HuPosted 7/22/2010 5:28:02 AMmessage detail
now if only someone posts the elements of grotto boss so we know the best fource to use in the fights......
#79PdaimaohPosted 7/22/2010 6:07:28 AMmessage detail
Arwwnt posted it in the topic I asked about:

Equinox Light
Nemean Dark
Shogum Dark
Trauminator Thunder
Elusid Earth
Sanguinus Flame
Atlas Light
Hammibal Ice
Fowleye Flame
Excalipurr Ice
T-Wrecks Wind, Light
White Dragon Dark

Baramos Frost
Murdaw Frost
Dhoulmagus Earth
Dragonlord Thunder
Psaro Frost
Nizmo Wind
Malroth Wind
Mortamoor Dark
Estark Dark
Zoma Light
Nocturnus Light
Orgodemir Flame
Rapthorne Light
---
your best friend's drug dealer
#80RybalPosted 7/22/2010 8:58:52 AMmessage detail
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/60450

That FAQ also has good information regarding Legacy Boss drops, stats, as well as monster levels so that you can figure out what level the monsters are (just remember to convert K-->1, J-->2, etc).