Upgraded Class Tier List.

#1tw1g_007Posted 8/3/2010 10:14:26 AM
So far I have clocked in roughly 150hrs in DQ9 and I'm at maybe 75% completion (approximately).
I also asked input from a friend of mine who is a lot more experienced and clocked in 400hrs+. We actually agreed from SS to A rank placings but had mixed feelings on B and C. We wholeheartedly agree on F (lol).

Playing all the classes maxed out this is how I would see them on a tier list scale...

NOTE: Please keep in mind that this analysis is ONLY based on POST-GAME potential. I will also add that this tier list is reserved for Grotto bosses and NOT normal mobs. Keep all your early-midgame comments off this topic to.

SS Rank (God):

Gladiator (My friend says he hasn't been beaten with a 4 Glads setup for the longest time. And if he does get beaten for whatever reason its only due to crits and breath spams)

S Rank:

Sage (Healer, Buffer, Kazing, sage is very very strong)
Warrior (you guys really shouldn't underestimate warrior, a jack of all trades besides healing with the highest DEF and second highest ATK)

A Rank:

Priest (They will keep your team alive 90% of the time. Setups such as 2Glads, 1Priest, 1Sage might not bring the fastest boss kills but your team will almost be unkillable)

B Rank:

Martial Artist (My buddy insisted MA be SS and I was like "are you smoking?" lol. MA is needed for the dedicated to realise its full potential. From my opinion I feel the fact they have too much speed makes them B worthy (funny huh?). But my buddy insists on their crit potential so we both had mixed feelings)
Ranger (I actually have no experience with rangers. But my friend tells me they are A rank worthy and require dedication to realise their potential. For now I will place in B category)

C Rank:

Paladin (Highest HP but lower DEF and ATK compared to warrior. End game bosses make his Buffs useless thanks to disruptive wave. My friend and I agree completely on this placing. Paladins are actually overhyped and I have had to ditch them completely)
Armamentalist (Every offensive or buffer class completely outshines armas. Oomph isn't a big deal with gritty nitty scroll from minstrel)
Mage (Boss potential is not up to snuff. Mostly used as a support class only)

F Rank (aka Garbage):

Thief (smh) * I'd rather not explain. Don't even dare use on boss fights.
Luminary (double smh) * I'd rather not explain. Don't even dare use on boss fights.
Minstrel (triple smh) * I'd rather not explain. Don't even dare use on boss fights.

FYI: These are my opinions on how I see the tier class placings. Keep in mind its your game guys and you should play however setup you desire.
---
360[sig:bLkoptimusprime];PS3[sig:bLkomegagreymon]. Noobs are so adorable with their questions. So cute. Like bears you want to cuddle! Awww! What was that noob?
#2Soul_DecayPosted 8/3/2010 10:19:28 AM
No D rank? ^^
#3IceBlueDrgnPosted 8/3/2010 10:20:30 AM
Or E.
---
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX
Pokemon Soul Silver FC - "1892 3365 6106 - Kory"
#4tw1g_007(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2010 10:20:43 AM
Heh. Nope. Those classes are that bad with boss fights. Bad to the point its an F rating.
---
360[sig:bLkoptimusprime];PS3[sig:bLkomegagreymon]. Noobs are so adorable with their questions. So cute. Like bears you want to cuddle! Awww! What was that noob?
#5KazereiPosted 8/3/2010 10:24:48 AM
I'd bump Rangers down one tier, since the only thing they are good for is stealing. They are pretty useless in boss fights.

And I'd maybe bump Mage up one tier, since some monsters are weaker against magic attacks than physical attacks. Not sure if this applies to any high-level bosses though, I've never really tried.
#6tw1g_007(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2010 10:27:05 AM
When it comes to Mobs make no mistake the Sage and Mage are pretty much unstoppable.

But with boss fights it doesn't apply. I'd say almost all grotto bosses have heavy elemental resistances against magic which is unfortunate.
---
#7Kholdstare_4Posted 8/3/2010 10:28:05 AM
Ngirl, melee completely outranks magic in the postgame. Why would you do 200-400 damage when an Uber Falcon Blade Gladiator can deal more than 1K with ease?
---
This is a signature. ~Captain Obvious on this signature.
#8Necris_666Posted 8/3/2010 10:28:09 AM
I think my only complaint would be that the paladin should be higher. While many people switch to soldier for their tanks, I've stayed with pally de to his awesome coup de grace. Just save it for when Magic Mirror/Wind Reversal are Disrupted, and you'll have even longer periods of invulnerability. The soldiers CDG would be a complete waste on my tank, since he never attacks anyway (and he gets it quite a bit, due to the Dire Critical Fan).

So far I've got Rapthorn, Nocturnus, and Zoma to 99 using a pally and various other bosses around 30.

The Team I'm currently using is:
Sage: Buff/Debuffer, Healer
Glad: Beatstick
Pally: Impenitrable Meat Shield of Doom
and Armamentalist: In there for the lolz (I've had to farm seeds Extensively to make him stand a chance, but I just love his little Hadouken class symbol too much :P)

Just my 2-cents.
---
!!Emag Eht Tsol Tsuj Uoy Stnap-Ytrams Snoitalutargnoc!!
#9Kholdstare_4Posted 8/3/2010 10:30:44 AM
invert, keep in mind that the Knight Watch + Forbearance combo takes two turns to set up, and in the turn you use to set up Knight Watch, your team may get devastated by breath attacks. Not to mention the amount of luck involved to get the CdG.
With 3 Glads and a Sage, however, the boss will be dead within those two turns, or the next.
---
This is a signature. ~Captain Obvious on this signature.
#10Mellow_RGPosted 8/3/2010 10:31:31 AM
Martial Artist have 3rd highest strength. They're only 5 points behind from a Warrior at lv.99

They do however have the way more speed than a Warrior and that's more important to me when you are facing bosses

Also, their coup is pretty useful

---
Dancougar is a ****ing beast. Pun intended ~ CJayC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnIvBXHpyw