Grotto Name Calculator

#1saintlyPosted 8/6/2010 5:22:14 PM
OK, I took a first stab at a grotto predictor/name calculator

http://plumeria.vmth.ucdavis.edu/~saintly/gaming/dq9_grotto.html

It uses the algorithm discovered by Terence to predict what dungeons will be available to you, and if they'll have metal slimes.

Please critique the interface. And you can see if I made a mistake in the logic.

If you want to save it and run it on your own computer offline, just 'Save As...'. Then load the file into your browser later. It uses javascript, but it doesn't use images, ads or report home to me or anything.

The code is a bit... messy. I'll fix it up in v.2.0
#2MSN 04 SazabiPosted 8/6/2010 5:24:27 PM
Alright, just tried it out for a sec, and... I like it =)

---
Doreamon... who cares... if it has Mon at the end its just a Crapy ripoff of Pokemon (which sucks too) -PSOPOPO
#3Firionel20Posted 8/6/2010 5:31:16 PM
Looks great, thanks! Is there any possibility in predicting whether or not the map will have a floor full of only metal slimes?
---
Dragon Quest I: Here is 120 gold, a torch, and a key to get out of this room. Now, save the world plz.
#4ReapersFuryPosted 8/6/2010 5:43:44 PM
That's a handy little tool,thanks a bunch.
#5Leo909864Posted 8/6/2010 5:46:40 PM
Nice! This is really cool! I will use this for quick reference after i level up + revocate and stuff instead of reading through the whole FAQ. I hope you keep adding to this, i know on the 2nd or 3rd page he has information on chests that may be able to be integrated.
#6saintly(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 6:04:27 PM
Looks great, thanks! Is there any possibility in predicting whether or not the map will have a floor full of only metal slimes?

I kinda don't think so. Someone posted this:

Metal Medley: Ruins I
Liquid Metal Slime: Ruins E, Volcano H
Metal King Slime: Nature B, Volcano C, Water D
Platinum King Jewel: Ruins S, Ice S

I list in "Slime Availabilty" which metal slimes might be available, and what conditions you'd have to have to get them. I assume that the monster must be available in order to get a floor full of them.

However, judging from what Terence said, specific maps like the all-metal-slime map are impossible to predict based on the grotto name.

---

i know on the 2nd or 3rd page he has information on chests that may be able to be integrated.

Oh yeah! I forgot about those. I'll put those in!
#7korgiePosted 8/6/2010 6:07:47 PM
i would assume a all metal floor would have to fall in that metal monsters floor range, but since ive never gotten one i wouldnt know for sure.
---
PSN - wagasashi
#8saintly(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 7:26:14 PM
i would assume a all metal floor would have to fall in that metal monsters floor range

I just checked all the known maps that have all-metal floors against the calculator.
It seems to fit. That is, none of the maps mentioned should not have had a metal monster map on the floor listed.

It looks safe to assume that if you beat a boss and get a map, and the calculator predicts it is not possible to see metal monsters in it, then you cannot get a floor with all metal monsters. Furthermore, the calculator predicts what class of monsters should be on the first floor, and the terrain of the map. If those two don't line up when you step into the grotto, then you can skip exploring it if you're just looking for a metal monster level.

Silver Marsh of Bane lv58: All MKS on Floor 11
(Calculator predicts: MKS availability on Floors 9-12 for dungeon ranks B-F)

Steel Path of Bane Lv69: All LMS Floor 7
(Calculator predicts: LMS availability on Floors 5-8 for dungeon ranks B-D)

Ruby Path of Doom Lv87: All MKS Floor 15
(Calculator predicts: MKS availability on Floors 13-16 for dungeon ranks B-C)

Bronze Crypt of Hurt Lv77: All MKS Floor 9
(Calculator predicts: MKS availability on Floors 9-12 for dungeon ranks A-B)
#9DSifanPosted 8/6/2010 7:37:53 PM
Why am I not surprised Terence discovered this? :)
---
If you are what you eat, then does that mean you must resort to cannibalism to stay human?
#10ReiskaPosted 8/6/2010 7:40:13 PM
I've heard (no personal confirmation) that you can get floors with all one enemy type with things that aren't metals, too. If that's true, it would lend credence to the theory that the enemy type in question would have to be able to spawn normally there.