Alchemy: what blows my mind

#1GatchanPosted 9/26/2010 3:12:02 AM
Now that i've finished the game and explored its world thoroughly, I still don't get it: how are we supposed to guess the alchemy recipes that aren't in books? Is SE trying to force us into buying an official guide? Or do they think "Oh well, they have Gamefaqs.com for info anyway"?
How to build a sober ring, i.e., is impossible to guess, ain't it? So I may have missed one or two books - although I highly doubt it - but come on, it seems I only have like 1/3 of all the recipes in the game... Am I missing some essential concept or something?
#2creamofjusticePosted 9/26/2010 3:23:20 AM
I think that some of the DLC quests give the Recipe's not found in bookcases.
---
Some people believed MW2 was the second coming of Jesus
Gt: Creamo0fJustice (Zero, not o)
#3Rai_of_WindsPosted 9/26/2010 3:44:57 AM
Between all the bookcases in the game and all the DLC quests, there are still a few recipes that aren't specifically given to you. Most are given though, it's just that not all of the DLC quests that give recipes are out yet, and there are a great number of recipes in the Quester's Rest's library which requires 25 unique tags :p

However, Squeenix figures that most people have the Internet, and will use that to look things up if they desperately want to.
---
Neither the darkness, nor the light. Merely the shadow, reflection of the darkness cast by the light. Condensed and distilled into unification, nothing and all.
#4durmalthPosted 9/26/2010 3:48:23 AM
Man, I hate tags. There's not much chances to tag people where I live.
#5yabPosted 9/26/2010 3:56:35 AM
The sober ring recipe is in the first house to the left in Gleeba, btw.
#6The Mystical OnePosted 9/26/2010 5:50:22 AM
There's a few in the mostly upgraded inn, and there are a few that aren't specifically given to you, but are alluded to (ie: cursed items + saint's ashes and uncursed items + malicite, and the erdrick's stuff) and a few given from DLC quests.

Once you get a few agate+orb+item recipes, you can probably guess the more advanced versions and the reset stone usage isn't super super unobvious.
---
Bald Ninjas! http://www.baldninja.com
Super Metroid 1:53, 100% Items
#7bloodriotioriPosted 9/26/2010 7:38:57 AM
the only thing that SE really did wrong with this game is the "tag" crap. I know precisely 1 person near me that plays this game...which doesn't help me get the other 29 tags i need just to get stuff. I really want all the special guest equipment but i can't get it because of the stupid tags.

Alchemy is meant to be used as a bit of an experimental process. That's why the pot doesn't take your items if you're going to throw in something that doesn't work. While it's annoying to take forever to figure stuff out, the point is that you CAN do it, at no risk to your item supply.
---
gamertag: bloodriotiori69
#8helldewPosted 9/26/2010 8:22:58 AM
taging isnt horrible if you can make it to a tag event then you can get your tags. i have like 40 of em from going to fanexpo for 1 day i can get another load from going to a bunch of other things and i also got a legacy map so yeah i wouldnt say it was that bad.

although i can still see it being a pain in the ass for some people you could at least try to use it as an excuse to go somewhere
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#9Sulley3Posted 9/26/2010 8:43:32 AM
If you had bought the guide with the game, it cost about $16. It is well worth the money. It gives all the recipes. I agree that they are too hard to guess on.
---
Hard cheese, go back to the start..... If I had a nickel for every time I saw this, I could retire.
#10realoldgamerPosted 9/26/2010 10:14:40 AM
bloodriotiori writes " I know precisely 1 person near me that plays this game...which doesn't help me get the other 29 tags."

That's one more than I have.

helldews notes "taging isnt horrible if you can make it to a tag event then you can get your tags."

The key word there is "if". I'm a stuck at home and unless my doctor's office has an event I guess that lets me out.

From Sulley3 we have "If you had bought the guide with the game, it cost about $16. It is well worth the money. It gives all the recipes."

Something positive to write about. I got all the recipes from GameFaqs and saved $16.

---
Great Grandfather.