Q about the grotto ???

#1AshleyTheTigerPosted 3/7/2012 10:05:16 AM(edited)
i have gotten the 1st quest grotto
beat a horse
my party is all lv 27 have a ministral,mage,priest,thief
i got itemised thingy on horse i stole a dragon scale an it dropped a whip
my Q is whats the 3rd ??? on the map, it says treasure map, dragontail whip then ????
i got a lv12 map called copper mine of glee
forgot to say how do i get the ???? item, steal? drop?
---
for tf2 trade my steam id is ashleythetiger (disgaea rocks long live good ending Laharl)
My Chinese Zodiac is the tiger,My Star Sign Is Pisces
#2Duke DarkwoodPosted 3/7/2012 10:36:13 AM
Vesta Gauntlets. 2% drop (can't be stolen; you can only steal the dragon scale from him - grotto bosses are among the few enemies whose steal and drop lists are NOT identical).

You ALWAYS get a map for beating a Grotto Boss (exception: Grotto Boss #12 has a different 100% drop).
You can also get a COMMON drop (in Equinox's case, that's the Dragontail Whip).
And you can get a RARE drop, always 2% (unless you get the Co-op de grace that can guarantee a rare drop), which will be among the strongest armors in the game (like Equinox's Vesta Gauntlets). (These armors must be alchemized to get to the strongest ones. Although in some cases, other equipment than "strongest" is "best" - but that's an entirely different discussion.)

What maps you get depend on the highest level your hero has in any vocation, the number of times the hero has Revocated in a single vocation (this is a post-game-only feature), and the level of the Grotto you completed to get it. So, it can take a while to work your way up. (Also, grottoes can go down in level, due to random factor - worth going through in case you get a new boss or good treasures, but you will want to keep using your highest-leveled grotto to get new maps from.)

And there you have the crash course to grottoes.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#3AshleyTheTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 12:44:22 PM
ok so its a rare drop
thanks for the info
would ask what coop it is but i think it theif an arm thingy
---
for tf2 trade my steam id is ashleythetiger (disgaea rocks long live good ending Laharl)
#4Dark RPG Wizard 06Posted 3/7/2012 12:52:34 PM
Thief or Arma, yeah. Remember, Co-op requires all four party members to use their Coup on the same turn. And then if you have a Thief or an Arma, the option for "Hallelujah" will be on the list.
---
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
#5AshleyTheTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 12:59:46 PM
as i have a 4 party
who would you recommend as arm?
my minstrel uses swords, mage wands and priest spears...
course thief uses knifes but dumb to change that one
for info my party is male minstrel ashley
female mage setsuna, green hair, red eyes (sailor moon XD)
sasuke brown hair an eyes (not naruto is disgaea healer)
kaede female thief green hair an eyes (negima)
---
#6AshleyTheTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 2:02:09 PM
went lv7 place met a boss
it looked like a loin with wings and breathed fire
it clawed me and breathed on me.... I died:(
---
#7Duke DarkwoodPosted 3/7/2012 2:55:22 PM(edited)
Grotto Boss 2 - Nemean.

Thing about Grotto Bosses is, they're strong. Oh, these early ones will eventually be seen as "weak" once you're far enough, but at the time you first get your first map, Equinox is expected to be a challenge. (Some people wait until their levels are higher to face him.) And Nemean more so.

So - if a grotto boss is wiping the floor with you, get farther in the game. You say your team is around level 27? Well, hold off for, Idunno, about level 35. (You should soon be getting to the second type of metal slime enemy, Metal Medley - if you haven't already - which are worth good EXP.) You'll be stronger, you'll have better equipment, and you'll have more skills and spells.

Grottoes, in general, are optional content. Challenging, with good rewards (including a variety of rare ones), but optional nonetheless. So if they're giving you trouble, work on the main game for a while, and come back to them.

P.S. Still, you did better than me. The first grotto boss I got that wasn't Equinox was the THIRD one, Shogum - who is not only decently powerful with physical attacks, but is capable of calling in King Cureslimes as support.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#8AshleyTheTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 3:19:11 PM
ahh ok
well i am further than that got the ship
got a choice of gleeba, err bar(small village) and the ice place with academy
i did allright with neaman till he started the whole damage stuff
looks like i need my healer to learn a heall all spell
am i low lv?
or should i not be doing grottos now?
---
#9Duke DarkwoodPosted 3/7/2012 4:30:51 PM
got a choice of gleeba, err bar(small village) and the ice place with academy

You can do them in any order you please. Most do Gleeba first (since someone in the lighthouse near Bloomingdale tells you about Gleeba, while people in Gleeba mention Batsureg (the village) and Swinedimples (the academy)). But there is really no set order for collecting the Fyggs, except that Porth Llafan's must be done to go to the east continent, and Bloomingdale's must be done to get the ship.

looks like i need my healer to learn a heall all spell
am i low lv?
or should i not be doing grottos now?

Ehh. As you say, a party heal will make a deal of difference - only Priests and Sages get Multiheal (and Sages are unlocked almost at the end of the main story), while only Priests get Omniheal (party-wide-full-heal), at levels usually reached only in the final dungeon or the postgame!

You HAVE a Priest, so that's good enough. You just need them to learn Multiheal - that's level 38.

You may wish to change classes around, too. YES, you'll have to start at 1 (they DO remember what level you leave off each class at, but for classes you've never been before, that's "1"), but you'll be very well equipped for Lv1s, and can gain levels quickly - less than half an hour should put you up to the 20s again (especially if you fight Metal Slimes in the Quarantomb, then Metal Medleys in the Bad Cave, as soon as you are strong enough again for each area).

Benefits of switching classes:
OK, you lose levels and spells. That's the DRAWBACK, but the ONLY one.
- You keep all learned Skills. This INCLUDES Weapon Skills, if you're able to still equip that weapon type. It ALSO includes "Natural <Stat> +xx" bonuses.
- Skill points carry over. If you have unspent ones, anyway. (Some people switch around classes just to farm SP to use on their main class.)

So since your Minstrel is using Swords, you could make him a Warrior... who still uses swords. Of course, if he's the ONLY one you change, the game's odd EXP system (made to prevent powerlevelling in Multiplayer) will give him less XP per fight, but since he NEEDS so much less, he will still catch up pretty easily.

OR, you could find classes to change all four of them into, so that they level up evenly again. Even if you plan on changing the others BACK. (Remember, you can save up the Skill Points they earn, and spend them when you change back! Higher skills might make a difference against Nemean, after all.)

The class system is MEANT to be played with. You don't have to, but it's got a lot of uses, and experimenting is encouraged.

Yeah, that goes a bit afield of your original question, but it's just a suggestion on things you can do to train. Obviously, time spent as other classes means the classes you WERE won't gain levels - when you switch back, it puts you right where you left off. That is the tradeoff of such training, so it's entirely up to you.

But yeah. Level 38 for a Priest to learn Multiheal. You can get farther in the game, gaining levels and getting stronger equipment. You can choose to try out different classes, for SP training or because you want different classes. And, when you're ready to try again, Nemean will still be there.
---
#10AshleyTheTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2012 3:09:18 PM
thanks for the tip on changing class
so lv 38? will take abit of time
did some switching as yah said now equinox dies very fast
neaman still whooped my butt looks like i am off to gleeba
of the order i found them backwards...
makes sense as to why i died so much in iceland
---