Watermaul Wand special use vs Abyss Diver

#1eidako2Posted 6/15/2012 10:20:20 AM
Something weird I found.

I just gained access to the boat. My characters are heavily over-leveled, and I decided to cheat and use the alchemy FAQ to get access to gear I normally wouldn't have yet. Rather than continue the story I chose to sail around and explore.

At the junction of the four corners of the world I discovered Abyss Divers. I have a priestess who specializes in wands, and as it happens the Watermaul Wand is my best weapon for her. I'd established earlier that it didn't have any kind of spell effect, not even while on the boat. Despite the description stating that the creatures of the sea fear it, it apparently it just has a 120% passive damage bonus -- worthless for wands.

For some reason the AI keeps trying to use the wand on the Abyss Divers, and strangely enough, it's doing *something*. Unlike the generic "nothing happened" message that happens on any other creature, the camera is focusing on the Abyss Diver like it's trying to apply some kind of status effect. Whatever it's trying to do hasn't worked yet though. The Priestess has ~150MP, I'm not telling her to conserve magic or mix it up, and the ideal move is to use Whack because it almost always kills the critters. Yet she insists on using the wand every other turn.

It's very strange. I'm wondering if I've found some kind of Easter egg.
#2silktailPosted 6/15/2012 8:29:19 PM
eidako2 posted...
For some reason the AI keeps trying to use the wand on the Abyss Divers, and strangely enough, it's doing *something*. Unlike the generic "nothing happened" message that happens on any other creature, the camera is focusing on the Abyss Diver like it's trying to apply some kind of status effect. Whatever it's trying to do hasn't worked yet though.

Does it actually say she is trying "to use the Watermaul wand" when this happens?

Or is the message that she "raises her wand above their head"?
Because the latter message is her using a wand skill instead, which would be the Antimagic skill when it's an Abyss Diver.
---
#3atmasabrPosted 6/16/2012 6:12:52 PM
Oh.

The Gamefaqs Beasiary FAQ says Abyss Diver has uses magic!
---
I do my own research. And I expect other people to do the same.
#4eidako2(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 7:16:04 AM
I went back and recreated the conditions, you're right, she was using Antimagic. Using the wand doesn't do anything.

Doh.